• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne vs. Ti

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if there's a thread for that already. I just wonder how much can Ne look like Ti? These 2 functions share their need for understanding and analysis. How different is the process of this analysis? Is Ne more superficial, while Ti goes more to the deep? What would other differences be?

Alea_iacta_est

Ne is seeing the connections between various different things and how everything fits together in the grand scheme of things.
Ti is essentially pile-driving an idea into the ground with incredible depth, classifying it, and placing it in a framework that can be readily accessed and interpreted.

If you are an NTP, the reason why its hard to figure out the difference is that they work in tandem as a single unit, not separately.
Ne looks around the environment, sees all the connections, which then gets fed into Ti, which says "Alright, these things are connected, but how and why?" and begins using logical analysis to figure out why these things are connected and what it can draw from those connections.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
They're totally different. Ne is a way of perceiving context. Ti is a way of treating things.

Ne is very broad in its view of context. It recognizes patterns across time, different ways things have been, could be, and will be, and it attempts to elicit the full range of images and permutations of what can be. Ne is often called "random" because its users try to mine the depths and farthest reaches of context, often coming up with the bizarre or esoteric.

Ti is methodical and focusing. Ti takes in information and processes it towards understanding and refinement. INTPs take the ideas of Ne and systematize, categorize, analyze, refine, focus, map, and test for the physics of these ideas. It's a totally impersonal and timeless way of dealing with information. ISTPs do the same thing with the physical world. They fuck around with it. They see how it works. They seek to understand the way the tactile world makes sense and synthesize ways of dealing with it.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think Ne and Ti are very different. I'm Ne dominant and Ti gives me a huge headache when I have to interact with it on a regular basis.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
extraverted intuition in psychological types:

Intuition as the function of unconscious perception is wholly directed upon outer objects in the extraverted attitude. Because, in the main, intuition is an unconscious process, the conscious apprehension of its nature is a very difficult matter. In consciousness, the intuitive function is represented by a certain attitude of expectation, a perceptive and penetrating vision, wherein only the subsequent result can prove, in every case, how much was [p. 462] 'perceived-into', and how much actually lay in the object.

Just as sensation, when given the priority, is not a mere reactive process of no further importance for the object, but is almost an action which seizes and shapes the object, so it is with intuition, which is by no means a mere perception, or awareness, but an active, creative process that builds into the object just as much as it takes out. But, because this process extracts the perception unconsciously, it also produces an unconscious effect in the object. The primary function of intuition is to transmit mere images, or perceptions of relations and conditions, which could be gained by the other functions, either not at all, or only by very roundabout ways. Such images have the value of definite discernments, and have a decisive bearing upon action, whenever intuition is given the chief weight; in which case, psychic adaptation is based almost exclusively upon intuition. Thinking, feeling, and sensation are relatively repressed; of these, sensation is the one principally affected, because, as the conscious function of sense, it offers the greatest obstacle to intuition. Sensation disturbs intuition's clear, unbiassed, na[umlaut]ive awareness with its importunate sensuous stimuli; for these direct the glance upon the physical superficies, hence upon the very things round and beyond which intuition tries to peer. But since intuition, in the extraverted attitude, has a prevailingly objective orientation, it actually comes very near to sensation; indeed, the expectant attitude towards outer objects may, with almost equal probability, avail itself of sensation. Hence, for intuition really to become paramount, sensation must to a large extent be suppressed. I am now speaking of sensation as the simple and direct sense-reaction, an almost definite physiological and psychic datum. This must be expressly established beforehand, because, if I ask the intuitive how he is [p. 463] orientated, he will speak of things which are quite indistinguishable from sense-perceptions. Frequently he will even make use of the term 'sensation'. He actually has sensations, but he is not guided by them per se, merely using them as directing-points for his distant vision. They are selected by unconscious expectation. Not the strongest sensation, in the physiological sense, obtains the crucial value, but any sensation whatsoever whose value happens to become considerably enhanced by reason of the intuitive's unconscious attitude. In this way it may eventually attain the leading position, appearing to the intuitive's consciousness indistinguishable from a pure sensation. But actually it is not so.

Just as extraverted sensation strives to reach the highest pitch of actuality, because only thus can the appearance of a complete life be created, so intuition tries to encompass the greatest possibilities, since only through the awareness of possibilities is intuition fullysatisfied. Intuition seeks to discover possibilities in the objective situation; hence as a mere tributary function (viz. when not in the position of priority) it is also the instrument which, in the presence of a hopelessly blocked situation, works automatically towards the issue, which no other function could discover. Where intuition has the priority, every ordinary situation in life seems like a closed room, which intuition has to open. It is constantly seeking outlets and fresh possibilities in external life. In a very short time every actual situation becomes a prison to the intuitive; it burdens him like a chain, prompting a compelling need for solution. At times objects would seem to have an almost exaggerated value, should they chance to represent the idea of a severance or release that might lead to the discovery of a new possibility. Yet no sooner have they performed their office, serving intuition as a ladder or a bridge, than they [p. 464] appear to have no further value, and are discarded as mere burdensome appendages. A fact is acknowledged only in so far as it opens up fresh possibilities of advancing beyond it and of releasing the individual from its operation. Emerging possibilities are compelling motives from which intuition cannot escape and to which all else must be sacrificed.

Ne can do what Ti does, the difference is that Ti does the processing in conscious way and Ne just perceives the answer after unconsciously processing it.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
extraverted intuition in psychological types:

Ne can do what Ti does, the difference is that Ti does the processing in conscious way and Ne just perceives the answer after unconsciously processing it.

Okay, that means that Ne is completely random and process the world via unconscious way. So you as an Ne type connect things and objects randomly in your mind without being aware of their actual and real connection is physical world? Than you probably discover a new random way how things can coexist? But hmm...if connections are random, where is the real and actual creativity and mind activity in Ne users's thinking?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It isn't "random" at all... it is simply defining connections between things which may not be concrete or tangible. Ne users will tend to term this activity "finding" or "discovering" because to us the connections seem inherent, though sometimes we have to work to unearth a particular connection given particular desired parameters. The creativity is in figuring out how two very "distant" things can be most closely/ elegantly/ logically/ quickly / etc. connected.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It isn't "random" at all... it is simply defining connections between things which may not be concrete or tangible. Ne users will tend to term this activity "finding" or "discovering" because to us the connections seem inherent, though sometimes we have to work to unearth a particular connection given particular desired parameters. The creativity is in figuring out how two very "distant" things can be most closely/ elegantly/ logically/ quickly / etc. connected.

Yes I can relate to that. Also what I thought Ne is, but the above description sounds a bit like super power Ne thing :D

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

well said. it's also not as disjointed as people make it out to be. looking for universal truths rather than isolated connections.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP

Ne users are prone to like "strange" music. The question is, why do they like it? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am truly wondering how you would answer that. From my explanation/perspective, they like strange music because it addresses the fullness of context. Si users like to hear music that they can associate with firm principles that have worked in the past and see anything bizarre as a plunge into dangerous, uncharted territory where anything, good or bad, could happen. Si types are more likely to appreciate, simply, what they were raised on or what is popular, or at least spoken for by some group of people with some acceptable reputation.

Ne users feel trapped by the very same notion. It strikes them as bland and limited. With such broadness of what can define music, why not experiment and get wild? Why not test our boundaries and see what crazy emotions music can make us feel? Let's see what we can incorporate into music and still have it be music. In this way, Ne tests the boundaries of context. It's random for the sake of random, but ultimately there are connections if it is still music. So I maybe see what you are saying, but I don't think it is either/or.

I was driving in the car listening to "Charmer" by Kings of Leon with some friends, none of whom were Ne dominant. They all hated it because, well, there is a screaming person in it. The first time I heard that song, however, I thought it was thrilling. Something delightfully weird yet something that still WORKS as music, and quite well. I saw the forest for the trees. My friends saw the "tree" of a person screaming weirdly in the song and wrote off the forest. That's Ne vs. other perception functions to me.

Btw I'm not saying an Si type (for example) can't like this song, but they are probably going to take a lot longer to. I had an ISFJ roommate who was famously slow to like anything that was just catching on, and then become obsessed with it once it had become popular and accepted for a while.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ne users are prone to like "strange" music. The question is, why do they like it? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am truly wondering how you would answer that. From my explanation/perspective, they like strange music because it addresses the fullness of context. Si users like to hear music that they can associate with firm principles that have worked in the past and see anything bizarre as a plunge into dangerous, uncharted territory where anything, good or bad, could happen. Si types are more likely to appreciate, simply, what they were raised on or what is popular, or at least spoken for by some group of people with some acceptable reputation.

Ne users feel trapped by the very same notion. It strikes them as bland and limited. With such broadness of what can define music, why not experiment and get wild? Why not test our boundaries and see what crazy emotions music can make us feel? Let's see what we can incorporate into music and still have it be music. In this way, Ne tests the boundaries of context. It's random for the sake of random, but ultimately there are connections if it is still music. So I maybe see what you are saying, but I don't think it is either/or.

I was driving in the car listening to "Charmer" by Kings of Leon with some friends, none of whom were Ne dominant. They all hated it because, well, there is a screaming person in it. The first time I heard that song, however, I thought it was thrilling. Something delightfully weird yet something that still WORKS as music, and quite well. I saw the forest for the trees. My friends saw the "tree" of a person screaming weirdly in the song and wrote off the forest. That's Ne vs. other perception functions to me.

Btw I'm not saying an Si type (for example) can't like this song, but they are probably going to take a lot longer to. I had an ISFJ roommate who was famously slow to like anything that was just catching on, and then become obsessed with it once it had become popular and accepted for a while.

Well for someone who call a mainstream pop band a strange music your explanation was not so bad...

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Well for someone who call a mainstream pop band a strange music your explanation was not so bad...

That song and incident was before they were popular. Plus you might hear some KOL songs on the radio, but never that one. People would be like ...wtf is going on?

badger055

Permabanned
Can't stand Ne logic. I pretty much think they are half retarded most of the time and stop talking to them.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That song and incident was before they were popular. Plus you might hear some KOL songs on the radio, but never that one. People would be like ...wtf is going on?

Well this song is not bad... I know a few of their songs before they were popular and they sound pretty good. But anyway I know a lot of SPs who like metal, or rock music. Anyway strange music means something different for everyone. For you old KOL is strange, for me it's still just a a pop band for general population.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Well this song is not bad... I know a few of their songs before they were popular and they sound pretty good. But anyway I know a lot of SPs who like metal, or rock music. Anyway strange music means something different for everyone. For you old KOL is strange, for me it's still just a a pop band for general population.

For me something like Throbbing Gristle is strange. KOL is normal as shit from my perspective, but apparently not my friends (which is quite frustrating). You wanna get weird? Let's go:

A couple of the weirder things I have known and liked, not that I couldn't go on basically forever with this sort of thing. I like extremely weird music. Btw, check out the last minute or so of the TG vid. It's quite a surprise.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can't stand Ne logic. I pretty much think they are half retarded most of the time and stop talking to them.

If you can't handle the heat, get outta the kitchen.

No but seriously, I get how some might see Ne connections as retarded, but there's more there than meets the eye.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me something like Throbbing Gristle is strange. KOL is normal as shit from my perspective, but apparently not my friends (which is quite frustrating). You wanna get weird? Let's go:

A couple of the weirder things I have known and liked, not that I couldn't go on basically forever with this sort of thing. I like extremely weird music. Btw, check out the last minute or so of the TG vid. It's quite a surprise.

The first one seems to be influenced by a fucking high drug trip, and the second for some reason raises the whole spectrum of negative feelings in me and it reminds me on some weird disney opera song for very strange fairytale.

G

garbage

It isn't "random" at all... it is simply defining connections between things which may not be concrete or tangible.
well said. it's also not as disjointed as people make it out to be. looking for universal truths rather than isolated connections.
No but seriously, I get how some might see Ne connections as retarded, but there's more there than meets the eye.
That. And, to add, what others perceive as 'randomness' simply isn't so random from the perspective of the Ne-ego. From the Ne-ego standpoint, those connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena, ideas, and objects are just.. there. They're a part of reality. The connections between the dots exist just as naturally as the dots themselves do.

And then, to answer the OP's question, it's the Ji function that evaluates those connections (as [MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] pretty much said).