• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function development

Alea_iacta_est

I've heard several different theories about cognitive function development and how one actually develops into a certain type; I'm wondering how this process goes about. One of the ones I particularly like is that when developing function, you try different ones and determine which ones "feel" right. Would this be akin to phases in teenagers that are developing the auxiliary function (It's thought that the aux. function finishes or even starts developing in the early 20s)?

What are your thoughts about it?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard several different theories about cognitive function development and how one actually develops into a certain type; I'm wondering how this process goes about. One of the ones I particularly like is that when developing function, you try different ones and determine which ones "feel" right. Would this be akin to phases in teenagers that are developing the auxiliary function (It's thought that the aux. function finishes or even starts developing in the early 20s)?

What are your thoughts about it?

Uh, how do you consciously "try on" different functions?

Btw I had an introverted function developing strongly the end of my teenage years (age 18-20). Ni or Ti, I don't know. And I did not have any say in the matter, no conscious decision, it just happened. There were some triggers too, of course, I didn't choose to have those triggers either. I am sure I ran into some things in life before that that could've caused me to develop these parts of myself but I or my psyche didn't respond so readily then when I was younger.

When would the tertiary start developing in a noticeable way? I'm not quite sure if I've seen that happening yet...? Unless the one at 18-20 was my tertiary. :)

Alea_iacta_est

Uh, how do you consciously "try on" different functions?

Btw I had an introverted function developing strongly the end of my teenage years (age 18-20). Ni or Ti, I don't know. And I did not have any say in the matter, no conscious decision, it just happened. There were some triggers too, of course, I didn't choose to have those triggers either. I am sure I ran into some things in life before that that could've caused me to develop these parts of myself but I or my psyche didn't respond so readily then when I was younger.

When would the tertiary start developing in a noticeable way? I'm not quite sure if I've seen that happening yet...? Unless the one at 18-20 was my tertiary. :)

You don't consciously try on functions, when I said "you try different ones and determine which ones feel right", I meant your body and unconscious. Your consciousness has to go along for the ride.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't consciously try on functions, when I said "you try different ones and determine which ones feel right", I meant your body and unconscious. Your consciousness has to go along for the ride.

OK. I don't recall anything like that tbh. For dominant function is it supposed to happen when you're very young?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see you posted this in another thread:

The theory I have mentioned in this thread says that people actually "try-on" functions before choosing one to stick with. This is mainly concerning the Auxiliary function though and determining which of the 2 types you will become with your dominant (for instance a Ti-dom will begin screwing around with the other 7 functions and seeing what works even though a Ti dom can only become an INTP or ISTP. Yep, even Ni, Si, and Fi are tried on with the Ti-dom (they claim that teenage phases are modeled after this)). I have no idea where the actual theory went, but its lurking somewhere on the internet. Functions still might be tried on with the Tertiary, but the Inf. usually starts appearing in Phase II of development (just before the tertiary, which causes problems) and can actual start fucking with you and making you question yourself.

Hmm, I still don't recall such experiences for teenage phases. Only this about Inf > Tert could make some sense but I really haven't seen anything about trying on 7 functions on. Sorry I can't add more thoughts because of that. Have you experienced anything like that yourself?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I started developing Fe towards the end of my teenage years and continually into my twenties. I think It's working in a tertiary or inferior role, but it's played a large part in the person I've become.

Alea_iacta_est

OK. I don't recall anything like that tbh. For dominant function is it supposed to happen when you're very young?

It is supposed to be during phase II where it happens most, which is like 18 or even 16 to 30 (it should have chosen and developed a specific function by this point). Perhaps your unconscious tried on your now aux. function first and decided to stick with it, or perhaps you did try some on but you've forgotten because it didn't affect your life that much.

Alea_iacta_est

I think I started developing Fe towards the end of my teenage years and continually into my twenties. I think It's working in a tertiary or inferior role, but it's played a large part in the person I've become.

Then Fe might have been your Aux., though the tert. and inf. also appear after 20, the aux. usually fully develops much earlier at like 23 or less, because it starts at like 16 or 18.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is supposed to be during phase II where it happens most, which is like 18 or even 16 to 30 (it should have chosen and developed a specific function by this point). Perhaps your unconscious tried on your now aux. function first and decided to stick with it, or perhaps you did try some on but you've forgotten because it didn't affect your life that much.

Ah well... I do know I was definitely developing something around that age (18-20-ish). So you say that can only be aux, and not the tertiary or even inferior function? This was an introverted function btw. It developed quite well but I feel like it's only acting in a limited fashion in my life, that is, I don't think it's always "on". I switch it on much easier though than as a kid, as a kid I had much less access to it, though I did have some - limited - access. It now has much more of an influence, sometimes I even feel like it's too much influence. It feels like this introverted function increased influence to the detriment of some other - extraverted - function(s).

Also... I remember now that I also tried on another function, an extraverted one, at age 13-14-ish. It didn't go well though, I ran into issues and it is still not developed well IMO. I would say it was/is more than just "trying it" on randomly, though, it felt like my psyche would have liked to stick to it.

What does the theory say about that, would the one at 13-14 be the aux or the tert or inf or what? And the one at 18-20?