User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Ni and Si way of planning

As I have stated on previous posts I have an ESFP sister, who has a well developed Ni. I was wondering the other day what is the difference between the methods that a person uses when he plans something, that person being an inferior Si user or an inferior Ni user. You all know that ENTPs have inferior Si and ESFP have inferior Ni. I would like to know the difference on the ways that ESFP and ENTP plan based on their inferior functions.
    The best thing about human beings is that they stack so neatly.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

@ALL-HAIL-ME My dad's ESFP, I don't know any ENTP's, so I can't compare.

My dad doesn't really plan

He only plans when he is presented with the opportunity to use past experience as a way of avoiding what he did in the past the next time. So it's very much like trial and error. And even still, he does not learn from error because it still feels good.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    @ALL-HAIL-ME My dad's ESFP, I don't know any ENTP's, so I can't compare.

My dad doesn't really plan

He only plans when he is presented with the opportunity to use past experience as a way of avoiding what he did in the past the next time. So it's very much like trial and error. And even still, he does not learn from error because it still feels good.
    lol
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Well, I can offer input on planning as an ENFP, but I am not sure how it connects to my inferior. Hopefully it will contribute something of use.

In terms of thinking about the future, I tend to have some vague long-term objectives, a handful of more concrete mid-term objectives, and lots of short-term "to do" objectives directed towards those mid-term objectives which in turn are directed towards the long-term objectives. I mainly focus on the large, concrete mid-term objectives (like "get into ____ University for _____ program"). I use a handful of organization materials - wall calender, dayplanner, phone calendar, phone lists, lists in notebooks. I do lots of list rewriting as events evolve. Both of my parents - INTP and ESFJ - were list-makers so it's hard to tell if I learned that from them or if it's just part of my thought process.

Let me know if that gets at what you were looking for. I feel like this has potential as an interesting discussion but I am not really sure how to best approach it, in particular because it is hard for me to separate my planning process from my more dominant functions - I feel like Ne and Fi play heavily into development of my future "vision" and Te plays heavily into creating concrete objectives and tracking external markers to indicate forward progression.

My ISTP brother seems to do a lot less external tracking than me but utilizes existing pathways (eg, a list of required courses for a major) and will follow them very carefully and methodically to ensure success. He does use a school planner to list assignments but less so for events. I don't know that he does as much "project-oriented" tracking as I do - he seems to just get into things and go with the flow of it instead of tracking it. He's more steady than I am, whereas I seem to move more in forward surges and rest periods.

Socionics
    ILI

Ni planning - A premonition, a vision. Then comes the fine-tuning of the vision, all of the little details of all of the probable possibilities in this one specific, linear vision are explored to ensure success.
    Si planning - Utilizing tactics that have worked in the past, things that you have learned to build a plan.

An Ni planner would look at a math problem, for instance, and a vision would pop into his or her head on how it might be possible to solve it.
    An Si planner would look at a math problem and would recall how he or she has treated problems similar to these in the past, apply similar leverage, and get a result.

An interesting comparison would be in the usage of warfare. Take the Roman Republic (employed Si tactics, i.e. this strategem worked here, so if we do it again, the success might be duplicated) vs Hannibal Barca (INTJ). Barca had some pretty amazing and creative victories against the Romans, but nonetheless the Romans still managed to forge an incredible empire based on how Hannibal fought them. The Romans were using Si, they remembered how Hannibal had beaten them so incredibly, so they learned from him and began applying very similar tactics afterward.

ExFP. I never make an organized plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    An interesting comparison would be in the usage of warfare. Take the Roman Republic (employed Si tactics, i.e. this strategem worked here, so if we do it again, the success might be duplicated) vs Hannibal Barca (INTJ). Barca had some pretty amazing and creative victories against the Romans, but nonetheless the Romans still managed to forge an incredible empire based on how Hannibal fought them. The Romans were using Si, they remembered how Hannibal had beaten them so incredibly, so they learned from him and began applying very similar tactics afterward.
    In Pride of Carthage he seemed more ENTJ. Liked making big public speeches before his soldiers.

It doesn't really make sense to talk about how people use their inferior functions in the way you're talking about it. If Ni is the dominant function for INFJs and INTJs, and is therefore a large part of the planning process for INJs, why would you expect an ESFP to naturally and comfortably plan in the same way as an INTJ?

Wouldn't planning involve some sort of judging processes? Planning involves setting priorities and finding a way to put them into action, nothing that concerns Ni or Si at all. In fact, Ni or Si would happily not plan at all since that would limit their purpose of perceiving. It's more how would Te or Fe plan than Ni/Si.