• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could finding your type be as simple as choosing your favorite?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Could finding your type be as simple as choosing the one you think has your favorite functional traits?

I'm starting to think that all it takes to find your personality type is to just read about the functions and say to yourself, "gee, that one sounds cool, I'll be that one!"

Thoughts?

Standuble

No. You look to see which description or cognitive function set best articulates your thought process - that is the good, the bad and that which you don't care about. You need to aim for self-awareness and low confirmation bias. What you're describing is the shortfall and failure of the MBTI system.

nadoo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
No. You look to see which description or cognitive function set best articulates your thought process - that is the good, the bad and that which you don't care about. You need to aim for self-awareness and low confirmation bias. What you're describing is the shortfall and failure of the MBTI system.

I'm with ..

and some time MBTI tell me some information or answer about my self :blush:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For some of us. It worked for me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For some of us. It worked for me, but I'm kind of obsessed with identity and self-expression, it makes sense that I'd gravitate towards my type. The type that would make me, me. Some people don't want to be what they are, though.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I mean you could choose to identify as any type you want I guess. :shrug: But that won't change who you really are underneath, unless you decide to put on a facade of that type once you pick it.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
If you have "favorite" things, you are probably a Feeler.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Could finding your type be as simple as choosing the one you think has your favorite functional traits?

I'm starting to think that all it takes to find your personality type is to just read about the functions and say to yourself, "gee, that one sounds cool, I'll be that one!"

Thoughts?

I think alot of people mistype themselves doing this.

If you have "favorite" things, you are probably a Feeler.

I don't think having favorites makes you a feeler. If your self-typing decision is swayed by what types you personally prefer, that would point to feeling. A thinking type might have type or function descriptions they prefer to be but when typing themselves, are more inclined to go by more objective criteria and the type they end up typing themselves as may not necessarily be their 'favorite' type.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... I don't think having favorites makes you a feeler. If your self-typing decision is swayed by what types you personally prefer, that would point to feeling. A thinking type might have type or function descriptions they prefer to be but when typing themselves, are more inclined to go by more objective criteria and the type they end up typing themselves as may not necessarily be their 'favorite' type.
Your description agrees with what I said, a lot more than it disagrees with what I said. :newwink:
In my opinion, "T" types are not "into" having "favorites".

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=1125]INTJMom[/MENTION]

welcome to society. lol

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Thoughts?

Yes, I think a lot of people do this. They often don't realize they're doing it though, so calling them on it isn't always a fruitful endeavour.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not for me. Both turned me off at first.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I do like my description the best, because I feel that it suits me and explains a great deal. I found out about it, though, through the similar minds test, I think because stumbleupon.com at one point had MBTI as part of the user profile (Need to visit stumbleupon.com again!).

I think I like the ENTP description a bit better, though. But it doesn't really suit me.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
If there is just ONE LESSON I have learned from participating in online forums, it is this:
My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If there is just ONE LESSON I have learned from participating in online forums, it is this:
My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

This is generally true, except when it is mine. My opinion is more valid than anyone else, according to logic. ;)

G

garbage

Your favorite (the one you're drawn to) might be the one that resonates with you, personally, the most--the one that you identify with.

Then again, most Ni descriptions make it sound like a superpower, so that might confound the issue.

So, I suppose as long as the descriptions are fair and accurate...