User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Most INTPs actually test high for Ni on cognitive function tests, did you take the test reckful linked perchance?
    extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.9)
    limited use
    introverted Sensing (Si) *************************** (27.6)
    average use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************************* (49)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************** (18.4)
    limited use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.5)
    average use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************** *** (53.2)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************* (13.5)
    unused
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.7)
    good use

It says I'm INTP. Other possibilities ENTP and INFP.
    So yeah, a waste of time really haha.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Fusion View Post
    extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.9)
    limited use
    introverted Sensing (Si) *************************** (27.6)
    average use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************************* (49)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************** (18.4)
    limited use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.5)
    average use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************** *** (53.2)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************* (13.5)
    unused
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.7)
    good use

It says I'm INTP. Other possibilities ENTP and INFP.
    So yeah, a waste of time really haha.
    To be fair, I did say most, so it could just be the INTPs that are closer functioning to the INFJ, the ENTJ, and the INTJ other than the INTPs that function closer to ENTP and INFP.

Also intriguing to note that you use Fi more the Fe based on this data.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

In your system I'm probably an ISTJ then - or an introverted ENFP.

You haven't explained your reasons for changing the function orders, so I can't say whether I'd agree or not.
    The system is the same, it only expands, or delves deeper into each type.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    I hope you're joking. As further discussed in my posts in this thread, I'd say the OP reflects Jung's view. And FYI, there's really no respectable body of empirical support for anybody's functions model.

The MBTI dichotomies, which substantially line up with four of the Big Five dimensions, now have decades of studies in support of their validity and reliability, while the "cognitive functions" — which James Reynierse (in the 2009 article linked below) refers to as a "category mistake" — have barely been studied. And the reason they've barely been studied is that, unlike the dichotomies, they've never been taken seriously by any significant number of academic psychologists. Going all the way back to 1985, the MBTI Manual described or referred to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 MBTI studies and, as I understand it, not one of the many study-based correlations reported in the manual were framed in terms of the functions. And many more dichotomy-based studies have been done in the years since. The third edition of the MBTI Manual was published in 1998 and, as Reynierse notes in the linked article, it cited a grand total of eight studies involving "type dynamics" (i.e., the functions model) — which Reynierse summarizes as "six studies that failed, one with a questionable interpretation, and one where contradictory evidence was offered as support."

Dario Nardi's one of the leading cognitive functions guys (as I'm sure you know), and his test is arguably the most-linked-to cognitive functions test — but, as further discussed in this INTJforum post, INTJs typically get high Ni scores and high Ne scores (with Ni not substantially favored over Ne), and high Te scores and high Ti scores (with Te not substantially favored over Ti), when they take Nardi's test.

As I understand it, there isn't a single function-based test on or off the internet on which INTJs reliably get high Ni and Te scores and low Ti and Ne scores and INTPs reliably get high Ti and Ne scores and low Ni and Te scores — never mind scoring the third and fourth functions in a way that matches the model.

And what functions model should a good test be matching, anyway? Myers acknowledged that the majority of Jung scholars believed (rightly, IMHO) that Jung's model for a Ti-dom with an N auxiliary was Ti-Ni-Se-Fe. Myers' model was Ti-Ne-Se-Fe — although, as explained in my linked post (below), Myers, despite some lip service to the contrary, essentially abandoned the functions for the dichotomies. Harold Grant's model — followed by Berens and Nardi and most of the other modern functions theorists — was Ti-Ne-Si-Fe.

If you're interested, you can find out quite a bit more about the place of the functions (or lack thereof) in the MBTI's history — and the tremendous gap between the dichotomies and the functions in terms of scientific respectability — in this long INTJforum post.

Links in INTJforum posts don't work if you're not a member, so here are replacements for the two links in that post:

The Reynierse article also talks about the attitude of the auxiliary function, and quotes Carl Alfred Meier — Jung's longtime assistant and the first president of the Jung Institute in Zürich — explaining that Jung viewed the auxiliary function as having the same attitude as the dominant.
    Your massive over-rationalizations here are completely out of sync with Occam's Razor. Sure, the functional assessments (let alone their fixed-ordered existence) to begin with may not be quite as absolute as many treat them as being, but the elegant solution is often the most accurate answer.

I think Nikola Tesla expresses my idea here quite cleverly in another way: Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    To be fair, I did say most, so it could just be the INTPs that are closer functioning to the INFJ, the ENTJ, and the INTJ other than the INTPs that function closer to ENTP and INFP.

Also intriguing to note that you use Fi more the Fe based on this data.
    Yeah, I definitely relate more to Fi than Fe (I'm useless with Fe haha). It explains the fact I get along with -NFPs very well, and have a few -NFP interests, like writing.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    The system is the same, it only expands, or delves deeper into each type.
    As far as I can work out it just changes the type names.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm an INTP and don't relate to Ni whatsoever. I'd actually say Ni would be completely incompatible with the INTP thinking style (you can't unconsciously/intuitively "know" things while questioning everything and being open to numerous possibilities).
    I'm not speaking for INTPs here, but there's plenty of Ni-types out there who actually question their visions quite rigorously. In fact, an INTJ in one interview (brain tested too by Nardi's EEGs), speaks of how he/she goes through anything they can think of and all possible consequences before initiating actions. For proof, read this: http://www.bestfittype.com/16Types/INTJ.cfm
    Realize that there's a difference between getting a resonance of things to guide visionary construactions and actually jumping to conclusions of them. That's more like SP's Ni acting on instinct.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I'm not speaking for INTPs here, but there's plenty of Ni-types out there who actually question their visions quite rigorously. In fact, an INTJ in one interview (brain tested too by Nardi's EEGs), speaks of how he/she goes through anything they can think of and all possible consequences before initiating actions. For proof, read this: http://www.bestfittype.com/16Types/INTJ.cfm
    Realize that there's a difference between getting a resonance of things to guide visionary construactions and actually jumping to conclusions of them. That's more like SP's Ni acting on instinct.
    Yeah, I agree with you, and I relate to this description a lot. I can predict about 7-10 possible outcomes for an event, cross some out, but then have trouble trusting the ones I have left for they seem too narrow and close-minded; therefore, before initiating the event I wait patiently and try and figure out what exactly is going on.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Concur_Withall View Post
    ENFJ: Fe > Ne
    ESFJ: Fe > Se
    Mmmm, doubtful. Maybe if I were an ENFJ... But, I use Si far more than Se.

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (70%)
    your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (65%)
    your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (50%)
    your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (30%)
    your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (50%)
    your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (80%)
    your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (85%)
    your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (60%)
    your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Of course, NJs will think of the different possibilities for their own future actions, and even the actions of others - that's a major part of Ni, as far as I can make out.

But I wasn't talking about "actions" of any kind. I was talking about NJs not questioning their fundamental basic beliefs as often as many other types (maybe Si types question them even less). This is why IN-Js in particular often have very strange views of the world.