User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Possible to break introversion?

I'm an istp 7 so I have the 7s need for a variety of experiences clashing against my introversion. My introversion is way stronger than my 7 unfortunately. If I have a choice of going out and doing something or screwing around on the Internet I choose the Internet most of the time. Doing stuff can be so draining and I would need to spend a lot of time recharging alone. So I'm looking to make an attack plan to fix this. Any ideas? I'm thinking I can break my introversion with sheer exposure but not sure if that's actually possible.

WALMART

Why do you want to break your introversion?

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I don't think it can be done without like, a brain injury, or something equally traumatic.

You can definitely fake extroversion though..

Though, I don't know why you'd want to.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

What's wrong with going out there, doing something exciting, and then recharging afterward? The more you do it the more you'll be able to do and the less down time you'll require. But you gotta start somewhere. Think of it like a muscle - with exercise comes strength and endurance.

Socionics
    ILI

How to evolve extroversion as an introvert:
    1. Be an introvert
    2. Gather up all of your friends who are more introverted than you
    3. Congratulations, you are the most extroverted introvert and everyone else will rely on you to think of things to do
    4. Rinse
    5. Repeat
    6. After a several hundred times, you can officially project an extroverted personality and hang out with your more extroverted friends (because you'll act more extroverted and have more friends by this point) though you will never gain energy out of hanging out with others.

Source: Experience. I've mistyped as my projection often.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Why do you want to break your introversion?
    So I can let my 7 free to run wild. I feel like my introversion is holding me back from experiencing all of life. I get all these impulses of things I want to do but it's hard to follow through because I'm more comfortable cutting myself off from the world to take in energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I don't think it can be done without like, a brain injury, or something equally traumatic.

You can definitely fake extroversion though..

I'm not looking to fake it. The only thing I care about is fixing the energy problem. I'm guessing the energy problem is linked to my nervous system and it needs to be conditioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    The more you do it the more you'll be able to do and the less down time you'll require. But you gotta start somewhere. Think of it like a muscle - with exercise comes strength and endurance.
    Is this actually true or is it speculation? Has anyone here actually done this? I don't want to put the effort in and then find out at the end it doesn't work.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    How to evolve extroversion as an introvert:
    1. Be an introvert
    2. Gather up all of your friends who are more introverted than you
    3. Congratulations, you are the most extroverted introvert and everyone else will rely on you to think of things to do
    4. Rinse
    5. Repeat
    6. After a several hundred times, you can officially project an extroverted personality and hang out with your more extroverted friends (because you'll act more extroverted and have more friends by this point) though you will never gain energy out of hanging out with others.

Source: Experience. I've mistyped as my projection often.
    Haha, nice.

Still though.. No.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by badger055 View Post
    Is this actually true or is it speculation? Has anyone here actually done this? I don't want to put the effort in and then find out at the end it doesn't work.
    I have when I needed to, but tend to revert back since I rarely have a compelling reason to maintain being extremely social.

I don't see why not. Throw the enthusiastic introvert in a crowd for a few days to actively conquer their fears and watch the wonders of neuroplasticity at work. The brain should adapt accordingly.