User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Fi Demystified

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    This is a good point. I might've misinterpreted what people mean with the "healthy vs. unhealthy" arguement.
    I just wanted to mention that just because some people have demonstrated an over-exaggerated, unhealthy demonstration of Fi does not mean that we are all crazy maniacs who steal stuff, rant and rave, and all that (okay, I am exaggerating now). Anyway, Ne is my foremost, dominant characteristic....Not Fi...that's my auxiliary.

In my statement, I just wanted to mention that - developed properly - Fi can provide a great deal of fun, insight, and balance to other functions. To dismiss this function due to a few examples would be a shame. And I just wondered what prompted BlueWing to derive such a negative opinion of Fi due to a few unbalanced examples since he is normally not like that.

However, I did not want to attack the poor guy. He's as much entitled to his opinion as I am or anyone else is. :-) I just think it is a shame that he is missing out on this. It would be like me totally dismissing rational, intellectual thought just because some intellectuals were poor examples of Te, Ti. See?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INXP

Thank you for letting some personality overtly shine through in the OP, BW.

I have a strong Fi, and found the OP quite accurate.

'though the best things in life are rarely rational. So as long as we are human, I think the power of feeling will always trump. And this goes with your inner peace thread; with the number of S types in the world, the good things come to those who wait mantra will never become universal, and will always be unrealistic. Where is an INTP supposed to fit within reality?
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

lol
    crusade against F

being objectively emotional
    lol

MBTI
    INFP

It's alarming and shameful how much I identify with the following and much of what has been said in the OP:

2)Soren Kierkegaard(INFP) has courted Regine Olsen, a beautiful intelligent lady from Copenghagen. Has furthered his relationship to the point where she has agreed to marry him. Then randomly he breaks the engagement, making only a very superficial attempt to explain his plan, and leaves town. She was devastated, yet Kierkegaard would have liked to believe (as his diaries show) that he is completely innocent and he was hurt more than she was. Such thinking of his has reached an apogee in the 'Diary of a Seducer' in Either/Or. To his last days he ended up mourning her and wishing they'd be back together, dreaming of how it all may happen, staring at her picture for hours without respite. Wallowing in his wistful memories and kicking himself at the very image of Regine having anything to do with her husband or any other man besides himself. Apparently S.K lost all grounding in reality. He had no desire to demystify his fancies. He had no will to analyze the situation and see why he is suffering and what he could of done to prevent this, and what he can do in the future to avoid such problems. He simply sought to have an emotional reaction because this made him feel more alive. And obviously the emotional reaction centered around heart-warming sympathies. Obviously he could not have helped himself but screw up. Obviously he was hurt more than Regine, and obviously he is doing the right thing.
    I am getting better at owning my responsibility, but this has really .. for bluewing to have chosen the perfect word .. demystified my egocentric, loathsome behavior (and feelings!).

Perhaps i am the only one..?

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    It's alarming and shameful how much I identify with the following and much of what has been said in the OP:

I am getting better at owning my responsibility, but this has really .. for bluewing to have chosen the perfect word .. demystified my egocentric, loathsome behavior (and feelings!).

Perhaps i am the only one..?
    Well, sure sometimes I am impulsive and emotional, but I do not think I would go so far as all that....

As far as obsessing goes, yes, I do that sometimes, sure. But would you really take it that far, Dana?

Okay, maybe I just feel differently because my Fi plays a secondary role. I am not sure....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "take it that far".

I have indeed taken it that far in the past with my last best friend.. I am completely to blame, I severed ties, and yet I mourn.. Too prideful to ever apologise for fear that it would be ill received. What a selfish, despicable being I am.

MBTI
    xNFP

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "take it that far".

I have indeed taken it that far in the past with my last best friend.. I am completely to blame, I severed ties, and yet I mourn.. Too prideful to ever apologise for fear that it would be ill received. What a selfish, despicable being I am.
    Why are you so hard on yourself? We all make mistakes. Why do you not speak to her/him again and try to patch things up??? I mean, look at it like this - what do you have to lose???

Well, what I meant is: Sure, I can be an emotional basketcase, especially around "that" time. Ahem, you know...

I can be totally logical when it is about other people....I can use my Ne effectively, and my Fi helps...I can see where people are coming from and understand them. BUT when I am emotionally attached, oh GOOD LORD!!!

But usually I come to my senses later and say, "Carolyn, damn YOU!!! Get your head out of your behind and start using the good brain ya got."

MBTI
    INFP

I am ashamed... To ashamed to ever look her in the eye again. I threw away the most meaningful friendship I've ever known just to free myself from the pressure of holding onto such a precious gift.

MBTI
    xNFP

I am ashamed... To ashamed to ever look her in the eye again. I threw away the most meaningful friendship I've ever known just to free myself from the pressure of holding onto such a precious gift.
    Dana wake up, hon! It's okay, really!!! I do not want to know how many times I let myself get in my own way. Sure, it takes a lot of guts, but just go to her. Go on!!! She will probably ADMIRE you for standing up and overcoming your own pride. Show her that you are strong. Explain how you feel...and if you cannot speak....WRITE!!! It helps me.

That is, assuming it is not a stupid SMS. I mean a real letter. Not any electronic crap.

MBTI
    INFP

I will do that.