User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Fi Demystified

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Blue, if you're hurt, we really don't want to hear you broadcast like this. It's... undignified.
    I felt bad that everyone was ganging up on him (myself included), but he's stubborn and has brought this upon himself. I agree. This is undignified.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Blackwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ERTP
    Posts
    454

    Default

    But I'd be happy to prove his arguments wrong instead of attack him personally.
    Yes please.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

    http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

  3. #33
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Out of curiosity, what would be considered a dignified way for BW to express himself?
    Avoiding the large number of logical fallacies and bad assumptions made in these posts, as well as responding to people's criticisms, rather than just trying to brush them away or write around them.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Yes please.
    grayscale reiterated some of his points and I disproved them here:

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post243529

    And there's this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post243583

    miked277 also did a good job of disproving his stuff too: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post242784

    EDIT: Sorry. Not "disproved" but clarified.

    But still. It was addressed at what he was saying mostly and not at him.
    "To find beauty in loss, hope in darkness."

  5. #35
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    As you well know, just because the quotes BW put out by those people might've indicated a feeling function doesn't make them feeling types, because, as you are so fond of preaching, we use all 8 processes.

    I wrote, because, in my opinion, the whole "well BW, you might just be talking about UNhealthy feeling types" thing is a lame, piecemeal, false arguement. They (the three people mentioned by BW) might very well not even be feeling types!
    Preposterous!

    Gabe m'boy, you failed to address my question. I should refine it I suppose.

    A great number of your type diagnoses make use of the last 4 in the order, rather than the first 2, which, as you well know, are the the most important.

    I'd say something that appears more rarely might be inconsistently proportioned, in terms of frequency and strength of use, and are therefore far less reliable than the main two in identifying type!

    Duh!
    we fukin won boys

  6. #36
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    grayscale reiterated some of his points and I disproved them here:

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post243529

    And there's this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post243583

    miked277 also did a good job of disproving his stuff too: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post242784
    You did not disprove. You only attempted to state how you felt. Miked's response was almost wholly irrelevant to the topic he attempted to give treatment to.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  7. #37
    Senior Member Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    You did not disprove. You only attempted to state how you felt. Miked's response was almost wholly irrelevant to the topic he attempted to give treatment to.
    Oops. Sorry. Not proving wrong. Pointing out your false generalizations though...that's what Mike was doing.

    What I was doing was:
    A)Clarifying the definition of F
    B) Pointing out that F is not an inferior function because the feeling issue that you and Gray were talking about (using pure emotion and nothing else to make a decision) is not the definition of F.

    However, if you don't believe that F is inferior at making decisions then no, I wasn't proving you wrong.

    And no that was not an attempt to express my emotions.
    "To find beauty in loss, hope in darkness."

  8. #38
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Avoiding the large number of logical fallacies and bad assumptions made in these posts, as well as responding to people's criticisms, rather than just trying to brush them away or write around them.
    What fallacies?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    43

    Default

    A lot of what you're saying reminds me of what Spinoza says about emotions in 'The Ethics' - I notice you’re a fan of his. One of my favourite bits in ‘The Ethics’ (I didn’t exactly feel spoiled for choice) is how Spinoza tries to be so emotionless and impersonal, yet when speaking about unrequited love, you can totally tell he's been burned. To me your original post reminds me a little of that.
    I'm not sure if I feel especially enlightened after reading this thread, in fact to me your original post didn't have a great deal of substance. You used some examples of people you have personally typed, [I disagree with Rousseau, for example - an S? He wrote 'the Social Contract' one of the most 'bigger picture' books ever, where the will of the individual subject is lost in favour of the greater good] and seemed to think anecdotal stories of them proved your ‘objective’ point. Rousseau didn’t take responsibility for something as a child (have you ever spent more than 10 minutes with a child? Most young children have difficulty accepting responsibility for their actions, F or otherwise) and was paranoid when he spent time with Hume... I’m not sure what your point is. Kierkegaard got caught up in unrequited love – so? I’ve seen as many T’s as F’s get caught up in unrequited love, and in fact, because T’s are perhaps less used to powerful emotions, I think some of them have been hit harder. Perhaps Kierkegaard didn’t logically analyse why he felt as he did, but I’m not sure that understanding the reason behind feeling something always means we can be freed from that feeling. Besides, feelers are often keen on people discussing feelings to gain greater insight into why they feel as they do, I’m not sure that T’s are any more proficient than F’s in gaining insight into why they feel as they do. I’m not quite sure what you’re demonstrating with your Augustine quote/apple thing and what tremendous insight that one quote gives you into Fi as a whole, so I don’t really know how to engage with it. Even if Fi did lead to the negative behaviour above, all you seem to be saying is that there are downsides to the Fi personality, but there are downsides to all types. For example obviously *entirely* hypothetically speaking, sometimes T’s can be really arrogant and make posts claiming to demystify things when they don’t at all, simply because they are so convinced by their own strange logic. I don’t subsequently generalise that all T’s do that.

  10. #40
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    Have we asked bluewing a question that he could answer with fact, or o we just criticize him ?
    I did not ask him a question he necessarily had to answer with a fact, but I asked him an honest question, and I wanted to genuinely hear what he had to say. I was not attacking him.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Similar Threads

  1. [Fi] NTJs: how does Fi manifest in your type?
    By Venom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
  2. [Fi] Fi building
    By BlueScreen in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
  3. [Fi] What does "Fi" really look like?
    By INTPness in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
  4. [Fi] Fi -- Why does it drive you nuts?
    By CzeCze in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 08:47 AM
  5. [Fi] Fi: You only get it if you got it
    By SillySapienne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 649
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO