User Tag List

123 Last

Default MBTI, Authority and Control

I suspect that those with controlling or authoritarian parents are attracted to mbti.

For mbti provides an authority and a way of controlling ourselves.

So mbti is a substitute for our controlling parents.

On the other hand, those with helping parents, parents who help their children achieve their life goals, produce empathic and creative personalities.

And the empathic and creative are not attracted to the control of mbti.

Socionics
    ILI

Poster with helping parents who was attracted to MBTI, Socionics, and Enneagram here. Creative: yes Empathic: no

I'm heavily independent and don't like people controlling me so maybe that is the case.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Not me. Both of my parents were gentle and encouraged me to be less strict with myself, but I was born with it in my veins.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Poster with helping parents who was attracted to MBTI, Socionics, and Enneagram here. Creative: yes Empathic: no

I'm heavily independent and don't like people controlling me so maybe that is the case.
    Yes, mbti is based on the fear of freedom.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

hm, pretty controlling parents. neither of my sisters give a rip about MBTI though.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Not me. Both of my parents were gentle and encouraged me to be less strict with myself, but I was born with it in my veins.
    Do I understand you to say you were born with mbti or control in your veins?

I have noticed that those who fear freedom give up their freedom to institutions like the girl guides or the boy scouts.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, mbti is based on the fear of freedom.
    I'm assuming you are referring to the fact that mbti is almost like a caste system waiting for rarer types to take over more common types based on superiority complexes?

I like MBTI for the self-discovery part, and I honestly think it isn't correlated with freedom at all, just because something organizes people into types doesn't mean that it is immediately trying to control people and put them in their place. MBTI only tells you how you probably perceive the world, Socionics only tells you how you probably interact with others, and Enneagram tells you what you probably want in life and/or afraid of in life. I can see the connection you are making and it is a very valid point, but I think that these systems are to help people find themselves in a way.
    Last edited by Alea_iacta_est; 12-10-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: wrong conjunction usage

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I cannot confirm, Mole. My parents have always been very progressive and not controlling at all. You're implying heavily that most people are here because they want to control instead of simply using MBTI as a tool to help understand themselves and others.

Where's your theory now?

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I'm assuming you are referring to the fact that mbti is almost like a caste system waiting for rarer types to take over more common types based on superiority complexes?

I like MBTI for the self-discovery part, and I honestly think it isn't correlated with freedom at all, just because something organizes people into types doesn't mean that it is immediately trying to control people and put them in their place. MBTI only tells you how you probably perceive the world, Socionics only tells you how you probably interact with others, and Enneagram tells you what you probably want in life and/or afraid of in life. I can see the connection you are making and it is a very valid point, but I think that these systems are to help people find themselves in a way.
    Of course this is the propaganda: these categories are here to help us discover ourselves, to understand others, and form harmonious relationships.

And the first mistake an amateur propagandist makes is to believe their own propaganda.

And this is the mistake we make here.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Control. And if you mean I fear freedom, I fell out of girl scouts because it was too social for me to fit into or enjoy at the stage of development I was stuck in. Not a communal bone in my little body. Also, their shitty fashion sense. But seriously, that fear is something I've contemplated. I do have a core fear of what will break loose if I stop inhibiting myself.

But I have zero conscious interest in controlling others. Just nope. Too busy.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]