• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MMORPG's (WoW, Guild Wars, etc.) and MBTI types

sandpaper

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i've been playing main healers for like forever. cleric, priest, monk, you name it. it's like a calling :D though my first character in guild wars was a ranger just because the monks were pretty ugly in the first game (i switched to monk in factions). and i didn't even have the heart to switch my first pet to something cooler looking like a tiger or something...

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow lucibelle, we're the same MBTI type and have quite different likes/dislikes in WoW!

My favorite classes (combining lore & gameplay) are: Balance Druid, Frost Mage, Shaman, and Priest (both Holy & Shadow).

It has taken me awhile to realize it, but I've decided that I greatly prefer laid-back, "peaceful" classes & races to the war-oriented militaristic ones. For me, seeing my character get arrogantly ordered around and treated as a tool of war in the quest text (regardless of his race/class's philosphy), even in a major combat zone, detracts greatly from WoW's lore enjoyment value. I much prefer quests that involve helping the NPCs out & fighting the forces of evil, rather than going on military missions.

That is one of the many reasons why I prefer caster classes over melee. I mean just think about it, the entire goal of Warriors & Paladins is to become a physically fit, proud soldier of their faction that delights in war & conquest & exhibits ESTJ traits.

And quite honestly, the DK intro questline scares the crap out of me. :shock: I like how Shadow Priests have dark, yet compassionate personalities.

As for Alliance vs Horde, it's such a tough call, and I strongly feel that WoW would be better if they weren't enemies. The Alliance has a lot of really memorable quests involving lore in the old world (Elwynn Forest, Darkshore & Theramore have a soft spot in my heart), but IMO, I'm not a HUGE fan of any of their races except for Night Elves. Horde on the other hand I really like quite a few of their races, but unless you don't mind doing a lot of simple, repetitive grinding quests, you won't really appreciate the faction's lore (I really like the lore behind their Shamans though!)

EDIT:
Eh, in general I prefer the Horde, by far, even though the above might have you think otherwise. They are way more sympathetic.

What, Orcs & Blood Elves are sympathetic? I don't think so. :rolli:

lucibelle

MBTI Type
I__P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Wow lucibelle, we're the same MBTI type and have quite different likes/dislikes in WoW!

Well, I'm not the most typical INFP out there :alttongue:

That is one of the many reasons why I prefer caster classes over melee. I mean just think about it, the entire goal of Warriors & Paladins is to become a physically fit, proud soldier of their faction that delights in war & conquest & exhibits ESTJ traits.

I prefer roleplaying characters that are more on their own side than their faction's. Most of all I love insane characters, or some otherwise odd ones.

And quite honestly, the DK intro questline scares the crap out of me. :shock:

That sounds really alien to me. :thelook: For some reason I'm not really disturbed by anything.

As for Alliance vs Horde, it's such a tough call, and I strongly feel that WoW would be better if they weren't enemies.

Agreed.

The Alliance has a lot of really memorable quests involving lore in the old world (Elwynn Forest, Darkshore & Theramore have a soft spot in my heart), but IMO, I'm not a HUGE fan of any of their races except for Night Elves. Horde on the other hand I really like quite a few of their races, but unless you don't mind doing a lot of simple, repetitive grinding quests, you won't really appreciate the faction's lore

I agree that Alliance has more interesting quests in general, which is a shame :(

Aaand, inspired by you saying how you like night elves, I made another list, of my prefered races:

1. Forsaken
2. Trolls
3. Orcs
4. Blood elves
5. Humans
6. Worgen
7. Dwarves
8. Draenei
9. Gnomes
10. Goblins
11. Tauren
12. Night elves

:cheese:

What, Orcs & Blood Elves are sympathetic? I don't think so. :rolli:

Blood elves, not so much. They're too arrogant. And elves in general tend to be unsympathetic. (But this is all very subjective I guess :newwink: )
But orcs, trolls and taurens sure are sympathetic :D Taurens are boring, but trolls and orcs are just awesome and adorable.
Dwarves are the sympathetic race in Alliance + some gnomes are sympathetic.

A shame that bastard Garrosh is going to lead the Horde from now on, he's an idiot :doh: and Alliance has its own idiot leader as well - Varian Wrynn. Hate him! But at least he is somewhat interesting, whereas his son was just überboring.
Always amusing to listen to his racist remarks about orcs :laugh:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Hm, I played WoW only for two months because it was so goddamn boring. I couldn't actually decide which class to play because it all got boring. But Druid was maybe most interesting.

Guild Wars I played mostly the Monk in PvP mode, healing all the time :) In PvE mode my favorites were Ranger and Necromancer I think. No other MMORPG experience.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love casting classes and I like to heal, though I don't always feel especially good at it. The only two classes I've leveled much are a Night Elf Druid and a Troll Shaman. I enjoyed the Druid a lot and she has some features that can't be beat, but I love my Shammy. :wub:

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds really alien to me. :thelook: For some reason I'm not really disturbed by anything.

Even though I knew the DKs were going to break free from the Lich King, I still found some of the quests quite painful to play. Here's a really well-written article about it: WoW: Is Blizzard Promoting Virtual Torture and Murder with the Deathknight Hero Class? | Wolfshead Online

Blood elves, not so much. They're too arrogant. And elves in general tend to be unsympathetic. (But this is all very subjective I guess :newwink: )
But orcs, trolls and taurens sure are sympathetic :D Taurens are boring, but trolls and orcs are just awesome and adorable.
Dwarves are the sympathetic race in Alliance + some gnomes are sympathetic.

I actually thought Dwarves were one of the ruder races in the game (their jokes are annoying, too). The Tauren are indeed pretty sympathetic, and I agree that the Trolls are a really cool race too!

Have you ever played a Dreneai? They're a very unique & interesting race, they seem to be more on their own side than the Alliance's, and they are very sympathetic, if a bit bossy at times.

Alliance has its own idiot leader as well - Varian Wrynn. Hate him!

Couldn't agree more. I really have a soft spot for Jaina Proudmoore though, she's really peaceful & sympathetic. Okay, I need to stop taking that word out of your mouth! :D

On a related note, how can the Alliance races criticize the Horde races (usually the orcs) for being savage & warlike, yet no one except for Jaina bats an eyelid when the Humans are?

I love casting classes and I like to heal, though I don't always feel especially good at it. The only two classes I've leveled much are a Night Elf Druid and a Troll Shaman. I enjoyed the Druid a lot and she has some features that can't be beat, but I love my Shammy. :wub:

Balance Druids (aka Moonkins) are awesome! Well worth the effort required to level them up at first. They actually exceeded my expectations (many others in my guild felt the same way). They're kind of like Frost & Fire Mages in that they don't do THAT much DPS, but all of their spells & abilities are just really "cool" & "useful".

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
7. Warrior: ESTP, ISTP, ESTJ, ISTJ

I have 5 level 80's, none of which are a warrior ;)

For the past 4 years I have been a Holy/Disc priest as my main. VERY recently I tried tanking on my Druid for the first time, and LOVED it. So I'm a Feral Druid now.

Other 80's are Warlock, Hunter, Shaman. I had a rogue, but I hated it so bad that I transferred it to my significant other's account.

In MMO's I've always tended to play support roles. I like healing, buffing, etc. (I've played EQ, FFXI, CoH)

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm ENFP and I HATE supporting classes.
I always play the colorful class that has a lot of sexy attacks. xD
I prefer 1 vs 1 tough :O

I never played WoW tough =(

lucibelle

MBTI Type
I__P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ok, got back to playing WoW. Been fun so far. :)

I wonder if any of you ever roleplay?
Tried to type some of my characters ;)
These are just stupid guesses, and very superficial.

sex race & class - alignment - MTBI - enneagram
male blood elf warlock - chaotic neutral, possibly chaotic evil - ES_P - 7
female undead warrior - chaotic good, possibly chaotic neutral - E_FP - 7
male human paladin - neutral good - _SFP - 4
female night elf priest - lawful evil - I__J - 6

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP and have been obsessed with mage class since I discovered it decades ago. Always have been my main but I always can't resist the potential possibility of the rest.

I don't know how it connects to personality but I do know that if these were real occupations, I would pleasingly choose the complex arts of elemental magic, sorcery and curses.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I've played wow since may of last year.

I play three different toons.

My main by far is a paladin tank with a dps offspec. I like being the first line of defense to destroy the enemy. I feel so powerful with 8 or 23 ppl behind me.

My alliance alt is a rogue and my horde is a warlock. My God warlocks have shitty survivability by comparison. When I played just paladin, I didn't understand the concept of bandages or potions. They just had no value to me. But now, they're like candy...

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone on this board play Everquest II?

I've been playing around with the classes a lot, so I haven't gotten very high level-wise, but my favorites are:

Fae Fury (Kelethin) - I LOVE THIS STARTING AREA! So beautiful...and the Fae are total xNFPs. :wubbie:
Kerra Mystic (New Halas) - New city with a great storyline of your heroic expedition to the city.
Sarnak Assassin (Timoros Deep) - Though I'm not a fan of the militaristic races in RPGs it doesn't seem an issue here, with none of the domineering authority figures that afflict similar races in WoW.
Dark Elf Necromancer (Neriak) - I love how the skeleton minion goes "Hee hee hee! Ha ha ha!" when he's attacking. :cheese:

Like I said, I haven't really gotten past Level 20 yet, but so far, I prefer EQ2 over WoW lore-wise for the following reasons:

1. The lore is much more friendly to people who like to roleplay.
2. I can group with opposite-aligned players, but more importantly, I can tell my guild that I play both alignments without a bitch fanboy making a scene.

Ok, got back to playing WoW. Been fun so far. :)

I do. Kind of. Can't be bothered to type my characters, though. :)

Since you seem to like roleplaying evil characters and said that you dislike the Alliance vs Horde war (like me!), I'm sure you will like the alignment system of EQ2 much better. In fact, I would almost go so far as to say that if you care about roleplaying your characters a certain way, being individualistic, or anything else besides battling - then (post-WotLK) WoW is not the game.

Don't get me wrong, WoW is a great game and I would recommend it to anyone, but due to the issues I have with the lore, it is not one of my favorite MMOs.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I used to play EQ2 a lot. I role played a High Elf turned evil necromancer for a while.

I greatly prefer EQ2 to WoW. I'm sure part of it is because I played EQ1 a long time ago so there is some history to the world that I enjoy. I also just like the setting a lot more.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I played EQ2 back in 2007 or so, for a few months.

I liked it, but I felt like it was cobbled together from old builds and was kind of a rickety patchwork -- WoW was sort of the "build fresh from the ground up" version of EQII.

Not that I play WoW anymore either. I went back into CoH last month but only played for two weeks or so.

Used to. I would like to do it again, I just haven't found a local group.

sex race & class - alignment - MTBI - enneagram
male blood elf warlock - chaotic neutral, possibly chaotic evil - ES_P - 7
female undead warrior - chaotic good, possibly chaotic neutral - E_FP - 7
male human paladin - neutral good - _SFP - 4
female night elf priest - lawful evil - I__J - 6

female elf acrobat/thief - lawful neutral - ISTJ
male pixie sorcerer - chaotic good - ESFP
male elf bard - neutral good - IxFP
female half-elf ranger - neutral good - ISTP

I think, though, I enjoy making the characters more than I like playing them. :doh:

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think, though, I enjoy making the characters more than I like playing them. :doh:
I'm the exact same way. I get to about level 30 or so and I'm ready to start over. I don't think I actually like the gameplay that much, I just like the characters and the socialization. I don't care about advancing much.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm the exact same way. I get to about level 30 or so and I'm ready to start over. I don't think I actually like the gameplay that much, I just like the characters and the socialization. I don't care about advancing much.

Did you ever check out Nick Yee's old site?
the DAEDALUS PROJECT: MMORPG Research, Cyberculture, MMORPG Psychology
The Daedalus Gateway: The Psychology of MMORPGs, MMORPG Psychology, MMORPG Primer, Understanding MMORPGs

Check out this thread on "motivations for play"...
The Daedalus Project: A Model of Player Motivations

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

11 characters (8 different classes) level 40+, but only one 80 with any decent gear.

Oh, and for Cata, I plan on rerolling Goblin.

/altoholic

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Interesting.

My first main has been a Retribution/Holy paladin, although I'm preparing to switch to my Protection/Arms warrior for Cataclysm. My third Level 80 is an Affliction warlock. I'll probably level a dwarf shaman next (novelty), then a gnome priest (a class with two healing specs intrigues me).

Generally, I enjoy melee and direct combat, especially in PVP -- although they're crucial to the variety of play, crowd-control and kiting strike me as undignified. A relative newcomer to raiding, I found myself in charge of an alt/gearing run through Icecrown Citadel, and I love the challenge of controlling my character while coordinating the group and making moment-perfect calls.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I have nothing to say on WoW as I do not play it and never have. However, in games I usually use a character that uses magic. I also have a favouring for agility over strength and that sort of thing in RPGs. I like 'clever' battle, or at least button-mashing battle that follows the style that is more clever in shows and movies. Strategic spells and evasive manouvering and stuff.

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something else I just remembered - WoW doesn't have player housing & guild halls, so that also makes it lose a lot of points for people who enjoy the customization/social aspect of the game. When you're creeping up on 12 million subscribers there's just no excuse for not making a really nice housing feature part of your MMO.

I played EQ2 back in 2007 or so, for a few months.

I liked it, but I felt like it was cobbled together from old builds and was kind of a rickety patchwork -- WoW was sort of the "build fresh from the ground up" version of EQII.

The EQ2 patchwork seems to have gotten better with the release of New Halas, though. I absolutely hated the district system in Qeynos (you have to go through like six loading screens to get from Castleview Hamlet to Forest Ruins), and I felt that the quests were very confusing at first, but since summer of 2010 they've removed the old Qeynos & Freeport as starting cities and the remaining four are much more player-friendly. And like WoW in patch 3.3, they also recently added a built-in quest helper that helps you find things better.

I was referring more to the game setting/storyline of EQ2 being better IMO. The gameplay of both is pretty similar when it comes down to it.

I like 'clever' battle, or at least button-mashing battle that follows the style that is more clever in shows and movies. Strategic spells and evasive manouvering and stuff.

I'm with you on this. :D