• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MMORPG's (WoW, Guild Wars, etc.) and MBTI types

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
World of Warcraft (ranked in order of interest?)
1. Warrior
2. Hunter
3. Paladin
4. Druid
5. Rogues
6. Priests
7. Shamans
8. Warlocks
9. Mages

In terms of play, I think the things that are most important to me class-wise are:
1. Autonomous (i.e., solo well?)
2. Versatile (wide-range of skills that can cover most situations?)
I'm an avid gamer (I work as a game developer), but I could never get into MMOs that much, even though I've tried. I think it's primarily because they require so much interaction with those pesky humans (I'm just not into online interaction - I don't IRC, and I very seldom read or post on forums). Also, most of the more well-designed MMOs are in the medieval/fantasy genre, and that genre just doesn't appeal to me much.

The only MMO I ever got into was WoW, and that was only for a couple months, after which I was completely burned out on it. When I did play WoW, I tried a warrior first, then a hunter (which I noticed are the first two on Jen's list). I enjoyed the hunter the most, just because I like having a pet that draws agro while I can hammer on the mob. There's still a dormant account with a level 45 female dwarf hunter named Toonia on the Thrall server. :cool: Like Jen, I really preferred something that I could play solo.

In general, I find that the character/vehicle/whatever that I choose in a game is more of an alter-ego, and doesn't reflect my IRL personality much. I prefer offensive capabilities over defensive, and capabilities that are rather simple and blunt so I can tear through things quickly. In racing games, I opt for the vehicle with high top speed but low acceleration and handling, which means it's harder to stay on the road and there's a high penalty for collisions, but if you can avoid that you really fly past the competition.

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've played a rogue for three years, only other class I played was a warlock, but only to level 32, so I'm not sure if I could count that.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
On WoW, I started off playing a Gnome Rogue, which was okay (but adorable!), then moved onto a Shaman which I enjoyed much, much more.

I love their versatility (so whatever I feel like doing, I can). And she was a Troll, which are just awesome. :)

Otherwise, in other games, I always seem to end up as a mage or other spellcaster, or paladin if I get bored of being totally incapable of doing anything without a tank helping me...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I haven't played WoW, but on FFXI I preferred Warrior and on EQ I preferred Monk. Basically I like a class that is melee oriented, versatile and has a good balance of abilities.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmm...*ponders* The paladin is the class I'd be least likely to play.

My WoW char (first) is a level 60 subtlety rogue, who RPwise, I play as chaotic neutral.

And I find it to be great fun as well. Don't get stepped on by Fel Reavers too much either. :huh:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
In Guild Wars I pfefer professions in this order:

Elementalist
Monk
Ranger
Dervish
Ritualist
Necromancer
Paragon
Warrior
Mesmer
Assasin

In role playing I usually prefer Druid or Mage.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(note: I'm a bit sleepy so I'm replying before readin the whole thread, I'll do that later)...

I have not played WoW or Guildwars beyond trying WoW at a friends house once, but I did play EQ and EQ2 for quite a few years. Here are the race/classes I played in several for reference points (which seem to line up well with your hypothesis). Overall I prefer to play a healer type and like druids for their versatility and druids, mages and necromancers are the easist to "get into character" for me.

EverQuest
Main - Gnome Mage (lvl 66) - Relativly fun to play and easy to solo with.
Alt - Iksar Shaman (lvl 50 something) - My favorite EQ1 character
Alt - Halfling Druid (lvl 50 something) - made as a joke, but fun to play
Alt - Halfling Ranger (lvl 50 something) - nice diversion, but I suck at playing mele types. (if you see me in a MMOG and I'm playing a fighter type, for your own good, do not invite me to your group - unless you enjoy total party wipeouts and corpse runs :))
Alt - Gnome Enchanter (lvl 50 something) - Mwuhahaha! fun but very hard to play
Alt - Gnome Cleric (lvl 50 something) - boring to play, but easy to get groups.
Alt - Gnome Necromancer (lvl 50 something) - good balance of chalenge and fun

Everquest 2
Main - Ratonga Druid (lvl 50 something) - Evil but merciful druid. fun to roleplay
Alt - Gnome Conjuror (lvl 50 something) - Started as my main, but found I liked the druid better.
Alt - Fae Necromancer (lvl 30 something) - Also fun to roleplay :devil:

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I severely doubt that there’s a large-scale correlation between class and MBTI type. Every study that I’ve found seems to connect such correlations to age, gender, and other sociological factors first and foremost and in terms of personal anecdote, I first sided with the Warrior class due to certain logical reasons:
1) It appeared to be relatively simple to learn for those who are new to the game
2) It seemed to allow an easy ability to solo play and since I would lack friends as a beginner, this was desirable
Both have to do more with my skill level than with my MBTI type.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Main - Ratonga Druid (lvl 50 something) - Evil but merciful druid. fun to roleplay

I like the little squeaky noises they make when they jump. (But I'm easily amused.)

Here, I'll change my WoW favorite class list order too, since it's outdated:

1. Druid
2. Paladin
3. Warrior
4. Rogues
5. Hunter
6. Priests
7. Shamans
8. Mages
9. Warlocks

I don't remember if I posted the link to Nick's site earlier in this thread, but here it is again: Daedalus Project (Psych Surveys/Coverage of MMO Demographics, etc)

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I have picked up a new rule of thumb for MMORPGs: If a veteran MMORPG player says "there is very little grind in this game", than there is probably too much.

As described earlier, I tend to prefer more hybridish classes or classes with unusual game mechanics, but will start a character of all classes, sometimes two characters of a class. (Which is why a fast leveling speed is some important, as my main enjoyment comes from planning out and trying out a bunch of characters, which is very hard to do if they take a lot of time to get "completed".)

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm pretty much the same way. I love trying to level each class the most efficient way possible, and in as little time as possible. It's my main enjoyment of these games. Plus, it also gives me a good feel of everybody's class role in the dungeons and such when I know what their job is, and I know what mine is. My main has been collecting dust while I've been leveling the other 8 characters (mmm, altitis) and so far, they're all approaching 50.

And as far as the marriage thing goes, WoW can definitely hinder the relationship, but it can also give you a nice outlet if your spouse is(was) an asshole and you need to escape a lot. :)

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I'm pretty much the same way. I love trying to level each class the most efficient way possible, and in as little time as possible. It's my main enjoyment of these games.

Just to nit this a bit, I don't like the leveling very much, I prefer having the completed characters and being able to use them for things. Leveling is the hopefully short trip to getting the characters done.

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The melee fighter classes in RPGs don't do much for me at all. The Rogue, with its stealth & crazy burst damage, is probably my favorite of them as far as WoW goes - I also like the EQ2 Troubador (music-themed Rogue)...but the rest of them to me are just "standard" classes, and don't offer anywhere near the utility & cool abilities that ranged spellcasters do.

I *MUCH* prefer shooting magic at enemies from a distance, playing around with the various spells, healing my friends, and generally having a character with a peaceful, intelligent view of the world (much like me! :cheese:). I prefer the simple standard Warrior to the Paladin & DeathKnight, but that's not saying much.

<- INFP who has never played a Warrior-type class and thought "WOW!!!"

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Warlocks - xNTJ (the guy whose gear is impeccably gemmed and enchanted, spec is flawless, and has mastered his rotation down to last millisecond. Excels on every damage meter)
Druids - IxFP (the good natured, fun loving, easy-going person no one hates)
Rogues - ISTP (is very quiet and is also very likely to PvP)
Warriors - xSxJ (the guy who has a heart attack every time a new weapon upgrade drops)
Mages - xNTP (the unpopular fellow)
Paladins - xxTJ (the super opinionated guy you hate listening to over vent)
Hunters - xNxP (the polarity between good and bad hunters is astounding)
Priests - xxFx (there's a 99% chance one of the priest in your guild is a female, dual specced into Holy and Disc, extremely well geared and has been in the guild since like forever, has 450 in fishing/cooking, provides all fish feasts/mats for your guild bank/raids, has multiple maxed level alts (oh, let me hop onto my X), is a pet and mount collector, has completed every Holiday events up to date and despises PvP/Arena)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never played wow, but I played another mmorpg for about a year and my main character was a healer of a class that could respec for very solid melee damage or hybrid healing-damage - although I almost always heal-specced, I did like the versatility. This was after I got bored with my ranged magic first main character - too fragile. My healer was almost invincible with a good team and I liked the challenge of keeping everyone alive. The only archetype I really universally disliked playing was melee dps, though.

From what I understand, my char would be most similar to the paladin in wow.

I enjoyed playing but it's such an awful time sink. :(

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Druids - IxFP (the good natured, fun loving, easy-going person no one hates)

Yep tree DURID here. Healing's always been my thing. :workout:

lucibelle

MBTI Type
I__P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well, for all it's worth, here's my preferred classes at least ((edit: and I ended up writing too much pointless crap after it));

Lorewise:
1. Warlock
2. Death Knight
3. Mage
4. (Shadow) Priest (Other priests do not interest me...unless they are twisted in an interesting way :devil:)
5. Warrior
6. Rogue
7. Shaman (Only orc and troll shamans though...:rolleyes:)
8. Hunter
9. Paladin (Blood elf paladins were fine up until Sunwell Plateau...since then they've been very boring :()
10. Druid (I just find them annoying :D )

Gameplaywise:
1. (Fire) Mage
2. Warlock
3. Rogue
4. Paladin
5. Warrior
6. Death Knight
7. Priest
^--some of the ones above came very close, as they're all very fun--
--the rest aren't much fun for me--v
8. Shaman
9. Hunter
10. Druid

My main is...or was - as I haven't played WoW since December - a male blood elf destruction warlock. On an rp server, not into playing on non-rp servers anymore...even though I suck at rp and am very nervous when engaged in it :blush:
Not a raider really, I was more of a casual player...I did raid from time to time, but it would be old raids with outdated - but very great-looking - drops.
Really, I don't think I could handle the pressure of being in a raiding guild...the other people in it could be unforgiving, or intimidating. And I make stupid mistakes all the time...like I'm in the middle of the battle and suddenly I zone out and start thinking about something else for a while...:doh:

And someone suggested the first character one makes would be of importance - so I'll say what's mine (though I bet no one's interested).
My first character ever, in vanilla WoW, was a female human mage. And I messed up her talents, didn't get I was supposed to specialize in one tree :blush: I only leveled her up to 21 or something.
Well I made a female human mage because at that time, I had imagined - and written about, just a little - a fantasy world of mine, and its main character was this somewhat...amoral, "evil"-ish mage woman who had grey hair. I would not admit it at the time, but I pretty much made her everything I wanted to be back then. So my first character in WoW was this character recreated within the game. I did not play much back then, and I did not have that many characters due to that...and because I shared the account with my cousin and brother. Another character I remember making in those early days was a male gnome warlock, whom I had pretty much made because there had been a gnome in a book I had just read. I was very new to fantasy at the time. I only leveled him up to 10 or 11.
Nowadays I find both of those characters very, very, very - BORING :doh:

At a later time, when TBC came, I made the first character I actually played on more. He was a male blood elf fire mage, and he was loads of fun to play, especially at endgame - no, I did not raid, at all, but I loved the heroic instances. The aoe spells I loved most of all! And there are even more of them nowadays, but I haven't managed to level a mage up that high.
I lost this fire mage because he had been in my cousin's account and he suddenly demanded that I play on his account no more and I was really sad over it :p He had kind of...done the same thing to my brother with a warrior he had leveled up to 60-somethings.

Now, when I played last year, I was pretty much an altoholic. I would make new characters constantly...Damn there's not nowhere enough space for characters on one server...and it's not increasing despite introducing new races and race/class combinations :(
I would make a new character play him for a time, then get bored and make another, then perhaps go back to playing that other one, then make another one, and another one, then maybe play with an older one, maybe delete one old character to get more space for new ones...Sometimes I'd have to delete characters I'd like to keep because they were interesting, but the new idea for a character seemed even more interesting...Gah, Blizzard should introduce a feature to buy more space for characters for a server of choice.
I would surely buy that once I'd get back to playing WoW...and I surely will because looking at my brother play the beta has been goddamn tempting...it looks like so much fun :D but damn it's expensive. All the new race/class combinations! Ones that I'd surely love to make - a violent, psycho male blood elf fury warrior, a very old but twisted night elf arcane mage, and then, a hunter...who would be this cranky old man! It could be any one of the three - undead, human or worgen. They all would work perfectly. Dwarf warlock? That could be interesting.

Eh, in general I prefer the Horde, by far, even though the above might have you think otherwise. They are way more sympathetic. The alliance races are very boring compared to the Horde ones...well, I don't like taurens...they're quite boring, but make for some good cliff-jumping inside jokes...and goblins? They're disgusting, absolutely despicable boring businessmen...expect they're not that boring, thanks to some of their inventions being way cool :doh:
That goblin starting city, the quests, they are just fun. I probably won't really be rolling goblins, but goblin cities seem like loads of fun to rp in. And they ruined the beautiful land of Aszhara.

...why the hell am I writing so much...much of this isn't even relevant...
No one wants to read something this long and irrelevant. :doh:

Ehm...some people mentioned D&D alignments. I pretty much prefer Chaotic Neutral, but others I like are True Neutral, Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil.
But - I have a spot for Good-aligned orcs! They're goddamn sympathetic!

I've played several other MMORPG's, never managed to really get into them though. I generally start with an attractive male spellcaster, if possible. Often it is not. If it's not, I go for a sexy female warrior or rogue, or some similar class in the game. What my character looks like matters a lot to me nowadays...if a game has very limited customization options, I most likely won't much like it.

¿Anyone interested in typing the WoW races like a real racist? :D
Should be interesting, though I'm not a fan of any race in particular...Mebbe the forsaken are the most interesting in general. They tend to have more interesting inviduals than the others.

Sorry for this juvenile rambling, but I can't bring myself to delete this stuff...