User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I've played wow since may of last year.

I play three different toons.

My main by far is a paladin tank with a dps offspec. I like being the first line of defense to destroy the enemy. I feel so powerful with 8 or 23 ppl behind me.

My alliance alt is a rogue and my horde is a warlock. My God warlocks have shitty survivability by comparison. When I played just paladin, I didn't understand the concept of bandages or potions. They just had no value to me. But now, they're like candy...
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Does anyone on this board play Everquest II?

I've been playing around with the classes a lot, so I haven't gotten very high level-wise, but my favorites are:

Fae Fury (Kelethin) - I LOVE THIS STARTING AREA! So beautiful...and the Fae are total xNFPs.
    Kerra Mystic (New Halas) - New city with a great storyline of your heroic expedition to the city.
    Sarnak Assassin (Timoros Deep) - Though I'm not a fan of the militaristic races in RPGs it doesn't seem an issue here, with none of the domineering authority figures that afflict similar races in WoW.
    Dark Elf Necromancer (Neriak) - I love how the skeleton minion goes "Hee hee hee! Ha ha ha!" when he's attacking.

Like I said, I haven't really gotten past Level 20 yet, but so far, I prefer EQ2 over WoW lore-wise for the following reasons:

1. The lore is much more friendly to people who like to roleplay.
    2. I can group with opposite-aligned players, but more importantly, I can tell my guild that I play both alignments without a bitch fanboy making a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by lucibelle View Post
    Ok, got back to playing WoW. Been fun so far.

I wonder if any of you ever roleplay?
    I do. Kind of. Can't be bothered to type my characters, though.

Since you seem to like roleplaying evil characters and said that you dislike the Alliance vs Horde war (like me!), I'm sure you will like the alignment system of EQ2 much better. In fact, I would almost go so far as to say that if you care about roleplaying your characters a certain way, being individualistic, or anything else besides battling - then (post-WotLK) WoW is not the game.

Don't get me wrong, WoW is a great game and I would recommend it to anyone, but due to the issues I have with the lore, it is not one of my favorite MMOs.
    INFP | 4w5 | Phlegmatic-Melancholic

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I used to play EQ2 a lot. I role played a High Elf turned evil necromancer for a while.

I greatly prefer EQ2 to WoW. I'm sure part of it is because I played EQ1 a long time ago so there is some history to the world that I enjoy. I also just like the setting a lot more.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I played EQ2 back in 2007 or so, for a few months.

I liked it, but I felt like it was cobbled together from old builds and was kind of a rickety patchwork -- WoW was sort of the "build fresh from the ground up" version of EQII.

Not that I play WoW anymore either. I went back into CoH last month but only played for two weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by lucibelle View Post
    I wonder if any of you ever roleplay?
    Used to. I would like to do it again, I just haven't found a local group.

sex race & class - alignment - MTBI - enneagram
    male blood elf warlock - chaotic neutral, possibly chaotic evil - ES_P - 7
    female undead warrior - chaotic good, possibly chaotic neutral - E_FP - 7
    male human paladin - neutral good - _SFP - 4
    female night elf priest - lawful evil - I__J - 6
    female elf acrobat/thief - lawful neutral - ISTJ
    male pixie sorcerer - chaotic good - ESFP
    male elf bard - neutral good - IxFP
    female half-elf ranger - neutral good - ISTP

I think, though, I enjoy making the characters more than I like playing them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think, though, I enjoy making the characters more than I like playing them.
    I'm the exact same way. I get to about level 30 or so and I'm ready to start over. I don't think I actually like the gameplay that much, I just like the characters and the socialization. I don't care about advancing much.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I'm the exact same way. I get to about level 30 or so and I'm ready to start over. I don't think I actually like the gameplay that much, I just like the characters and the socialization. I don't care about advancing much.
    Did you ever check out Nick Yee's old site?
    the DAEDALUS PROJECT: MMORPG Research, Cyberculture, MMORPG Psychology
    The Daedalus Gateway: The Psychology of MMORPGs, MMORPG Psychology, MMORPG Primer, Understanding MMORPGs

Check out this thread on "motivations for play"...
    The Daedalus Project: A Model of Player Motivations
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    11 characters (8 different classes) level 40+, but only one 80 with any decent gear.

Oh, and for Cata, I plan on rerolling Goblin.

/altoholic
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Interesting.

My first main has been a Retribution/Holy paladin, although I'm preparing to switch to my Protection/Arms warrior for Cataclysm. My third Level 80 is an Affliction warlock. I'll probably level a dwarf shaman next (novelty), then a gnome priest (a class with two healing specs intrigues me).

Generally, I enjoy melee and direct combat, especially in PVP -- although they're crucial to the variety of play, crowd-control and kiting strike me as undignified. A relative newcomer to raiding, I found myself in charge of an alt/gearing run through Icecrown Citadel, and I love the challenge of controlling my character while coordinating the group and making moment-perfect calls.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I have nothing to say on WoW as I do not play it and never have. However, in games I usually use a character that uses magic. I also have a favouring for agility over strength and that sort of thing in RPGs. I like 'clever' battle, or at least button-mashing battle that follows the style that is more clever in shows and movies. Strategic spells and evasive manouvering and stuff.
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Something else I just remembered - WoW doesn't have player housing & guild halls, so that also makes it lose a lot of points for people who enjoy the customization/social aspect of the game. When you're creeping up on 12 million subscribers there's just no excuse for not making a really nice housing feature part of your MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I played EQ2 back in 2007 or so, for a few months.

I liked it, but I felt like it was cobbled together from old builds and was kind of a rickety patchwork -- WoW was sort of the "build fresh from the ground up" version of EQII.
    The EQ2 patchwork seems to have gotten better with the release of New Halas, though. I absolutely hated the district system in Qeynos (you have to go through like six loading screens to get from Castleview Hamlet to Forest Ruins), and I felt that the quests were very confusing at first, but since summer of 2010 they've removed the old Qeynos & Freeport as starting cities and the remaining four are much more player-friendly. And like WoW in patch 3.3, they also recently added a built-in quest helper that helps you find things better.

I was referring more to the game setting/storyline of EQ2 being better IMO. The gameplay of both is pretty similar when it comes down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    I like 'clever' battle, or at least button-mashing battle that follows the style that is more clever in shows and movies. Strategic spells and evasive manouvering and stuff.
    I'm with you on this.
    INFP | 4w5 | Phlegmatic-Melancholic