User Tag List

12 Last

Default Patterns and MBTI

To survive we needed to recognise patterns in the reality around us. And there are two mistakes we can make.

We can fail to recognise patterns that are there, or we can see patterns that are not there.

It can prove fatal not to recognise patterns that are there (not to see the tiger hiding in the bush is fatal), but it is not fatal to see patterns that are not there (such as patterns in the clouds or the stars).

And so over millennia we have survived seeing patterns that are not there. For instance, we see patterns in astrology that are not there, and we see patterns in mbti that are not there.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

If you want deep, don't hire a mole. That's what my Aunt Trudy always used to say.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

You are making fine logical reasonings but personality is a pattern that exists. Do really think ESTJs and INFPs have the same behavior and that the difference is just an illusion?
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    6 sx

Word.

WALMART

Nobody is onto what Jung was onto. I have yet to find someone that has interpreted the same things I have from his writings.

+1 for your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    You are making fine logical reasonings but personality is a pattern that exists. Do really think ESTJs and INFPs have the same behavior and that the difference is just an illusion?
    I think applying a psychometric test to oneself is made for illusion.

And applying a psychometric test to family, friends, celebrities and pets is also illusory.

And applying a psychometric test that has had no random double blind experiments applied in 75 years is asking for illusions.

Look, people love illusions. And they like to illusion others. If someone asks for my starsign in a bar, I know they are trying to pick me up. And mbti is astrology for the college educated.

And no one likes to be disillusioned so I carry a heavy burden on Typology Central.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I think applying a psychometric test to oneself is made for illusion.

And applying a psychometric test to family, friends, celebrities and pets is also illusory.

And applying a psychometric test that has had no random double blind experiments applied in 75 years is asking for illusions.

Look, people love illusions. And they like to illusion others. If someone asks for my starsign in a bar, I know they are trying to pick me up. And mbti is astrology for the college educated.

And no one likes to be disillusioned so I carry a heavy burden on Typology Central.
    Identical twins raised in separate households have been found to test as the same type substantially more often than less genetically similar pairs.

How is that a "pattern that isn't there"?

Please clarify what you mean when you say no "random double blind experiments" have been "applied in 75 years." What would such an "experiment" involve?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Do really think ESTJs and INFPs have the same behavior and that the difference is just an illusion?
    When you eat a round cookie, do you start with the right side or the left side?

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    When you eat a round cookie, do you start with the right side or the left side?
    The right side, of course, just like my mama raised me to. Eat from the right, you're in God's sight, eat from the left, you'll end up bereft.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I think that patterns are not always just there or not there. Sometimes they start and stop and start and stop; sometimes they are so drawn out over time we would never be able to recognize them; sometimes they are just minor reiterations in long chains of chaos.

The important thing in my opinion is to use the tools you have to make the most out of life. If seeing a certain pattern helps you be happy and healthy, and helps you help others be happy and healthy, then it is a beneficial usage of that perspective. If it is not beneficial to you anymore, then it is harmful to remain trapped by its viewpoint, and it would behoove you to try other tools. You must keep track of your own thinking and decide how to steer the course of your own life.