User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Had I not been raised by a loving family, I think I could have turned out much differently.
    Jeffrey Dahmer was raised by a loving family, he also loved animals. The following is gruesome:

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by CapLawyer View Post
    This is absolute foolishness. It's almost as though you didn't read the post. And why would the length of my tenure here have anything to do with the worth of what I have to say? Then again, I should know better than to try to discuss anything with the typical ENTJ. It almost invariably is seen as an attack, and even if not, it quickly becomes about winning and ego rather than reaching some sort of understanding.
    And you display the typical INTP nancy boy bullshit.

You waste my time every bit as much as I waste yours.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Jeffrey Dahmer was raised by a loving family, he also loved animals. He still took showers with headless corpses at his feet and tried to turn people into zombies by injecting chemicals into their brains.
    The fact that a loving family didn't help him does not mean it didn't help me.

RDF

The OP was about how many folks with traits benefit from them in the business world, and that one can have the traits and be a very successful, normal, and happy person.
    I think the main objection to that point of view is that it only works if you can cherry-pick the best traits of an illness and discard the rest. But a personality disorder is, in fact, a motley mix. Hard to be good at just *some* parts of an illness.

Secondarily, I would point out that there are 12 or 14 or whatever personality disorders, many of them co-morbid. Most of them involve lack of empathy; many of them can be pretty cold-blooded. I worked for one of the world's top surgeons at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore many years ago, as his secretary. He was a cold SOB, hated his patients, and loved cutting. Surgery was his thing, not people. But that didn't make him a psychopath. I think in fact, that he was an INTP with a touch of Schizoid Personality Disorder.

In other words, it's hard to parse these characteristics. Given a list of traits, it really takes a pro to determine whether it's Antisocial Personality Disorder (psychopathy) or Narcissistic Personality Disorder, or Compensatory Narcissistic Personality Disorder or some other disorder.

It's all pretty muddy. In that context, cherry-picking a couple traits out of the air and lauding them as a "good type of psychopathy" sounds a little fake.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I can be exceedingly empathic, just not on a great scale or for very long. Coolness and detachment, I think, have more to do with prudence than with psychopathy.

Obviously, such traits have their place in individual lives, in evolution and society. To some degree, they are, as others have said, present on all of us. But the stronger they are and the more you have of them, the less beneficial they are to those around you, because actual psychopaths live for themselves. So, the pros of being a wolf are pros for the wolf only, not for the sheep around him.
    All things in moderation my friend.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

The fact that a loving family didn't help him does not mean it didn't help me.
    I'm not saying it didn't help you. I'm saying that it doesn't stop people from being psychopaths.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    I think the main objection to that point of view is that it only works if you can cherry-pick the best traits of an illness and discard the rest. But a personality disorder is, in fact, a motley mix. Hard to be good at just *some* parts of an illness.

Secondarily, I would point out that there are 12 or 14 or whatever personality disorders, many of them co-morbid. Most of them involve lack of empathy; many of them can be pretty cold-blooded. I worked for one of the world's top surgeons at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore many years ago, as his secretary. He was a cold SOB, hated his patients, and loved cutting. Surgery was his thing, not people. But that didn't make him a psychopath. I think in fact, that he was an INTP with a touch of Schizoid Personality Disorder.

In other words, it's hard to parse these characteristics. Given a list of traits, it really takes a pro to determine whether it's Antisocial Personality Disorder (psychopathy) or Narcissistic Personality Disorder, or Compensatory Narcissistic Personality Disorder or some other disorder.

It's all pretty muddy. In that context, cherry-picking a couple traits out of the air and lauding them as a "good type of psychopathy" sounds a little fake.
    It's most certainly muddy.

And that's my main point. There is a flip side to the Gacy Dahmer coin, all those well adjusted finance people, surgeons etc. out there.

Just because someone isn't as empathetic as a hands across America type does not make them a monster.

And in fact, many folks who have some of these traits are high functioning successful people with loving families.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I'm not saying it didn't help you. I'm saying that it doesn't may not stop profoundly disturbed people from being psychopaths.
    Fixed that for you.

RDF

It's most certainly muddy.

And that's my main point. There is a flip side to the Gacy Dahmer coin, all those well adjusted finance people, surgeons etc. out there.

Just because someone isn't as empathetic as a hands across America type does not make them a monster.

And in fact, many folks who have some of these traits are high functioning successful people with loving families.
    I agree with all that. I'm just bridling at the designation of these things specifically as a type of "psychopathy." And I think others are having the same trouble with that designation. Better to just say that some jobs need more empathy, whereas other jobs require a bit of coldbloodedness. And leave aside the "psychopathy" label.

The use of the "psychopathy" label tips the whole discussion into the realm of the sensational.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    I agree with all that. I'm just bridling at the designation of these things as specifically a type of "psychopathy." And I think others are having the same trouble with that designation. Better to just say that some jobs need more empathy, where other jobs require a bit of coldness. And leave aside the "psychopathy" label.

The "psychopathy" label tips the whole discussion into the realm of the sensational.
    Which I think means we need another term entirely.