User Tag List

First 23456 Last

RDF

I can kind of see the point of the article. There are definitely some cold motherfuckers out there, but as long as they recognize boundaries, then that coldness can serve some useful purposes.

First off, some clarifications on terms. "Psychopathy" is a personality disorder, not psychosis or insanity. Second, "psychopathy" is largely a synonym for both "sociopathy" and "antisocial personality disorder." (See the first and second paragraphs of the Wikipedia entry under "Psychopathy.") Some people try to differentiate psychopathy and sociopathy in terms of their origin. But officially "psychopathy" is the main heading, "sociopathy" is just a more benign-sounding synonym, and "antisocial personality disorder" is the DSM designation for psychopathy.

And if you know about personality disorders, then you know that someone with a personality disorder can be perfectly functional. The big question is whether they observe the sorts of boundaries that keep them out of jail, or whether the disorder is so out of control that they end up colliding with the authorities.

From the Smithsonian article:

When psychologists talk about psychopaths, what we’re referring to are people who have a distinct set of personality characteristics, which include things like ruthlessness, fearlessness, mental toughness, charm, persuasiveness and a lack of conscience and empathy. Imagine that you tick the box for all of those characteristics. You also happen to be violent and stupid. It’s not going to be long before you smack a bottle over someone’s head in a bar and get locked up for a long time in prison. But if you tick the box for all of those characteristics, and you happen to be intelligent and not naturally violent, then it’s a different story altogether. Then you’re more likely to make a killing in the market rather than anywhere else.

Your OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by funtensity View Post

Psychopath, AKA, ISTP.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Bull-fucking-shit.

There's literature showing correlations between various MBTI dimensions and psychological disorders, so your statement is trivially false. It absolutely has something to do with MBTI personality types.
    No.

Correlation does NOT mean causation or validation of meaningful deduction. Apply some critical thinking.

There's a lot of studies/literatures that does not deserve the time nor patience to critically evaluate them.

If you want to waste your time grappling at straws , go ahead. I still get to call it...

Bull-fucking-shit

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    Correlation does NOT mean causation or validation of meaningful deduction.
    MBTI explains variance in psychological disorder prevalence, whether directly or via mediators.

Why so upset? Having a hard time with that "critical thinking" yourself?

MBTI explains variance in psychological disorder prevalence, whether directly or by mediators
    What kind of a gibberish is this? This is a very, very incorrect statement and mangling of the word "explain".

Give me one (just one) study that states that MBTI types (and its distribution) EXPLAINS the proportional distribution of psychological disorders in society.

Even if I were to entertain this (lacking in common sense) hypothesis, your own original source contradicts your conclusion:
    - ruthlessness? Which MBTI (legit) profile describes ISTPs as having a behavioural preference of ruthlessness? And let's not go into P ( perceiving) and procrastination (which, as per your source, psychopaths are not).

And the final veering from common sense : personality traits ( in functional healthy people) cannot EXPLAIN personality (and psychological) disorders. There may be correlation, or linking dimensions of personality traits with psychopathy traits, but one cannot explain the other. It is illogical. Aka, bull-fucking-shit.

If your agenda is to prove how "badass" you are as an ISTP, because you're like (wannabe/romanticize) a psychopath, it's amusing like a kid trying on big boy pants. I'm guessing you're a young male.

Why so upset? Having a hard time with that "critical thinking" yourself?
    Why so sensitive? Aren't you supposed to be psychopathic aka ISTP?

You haven't known me around the forum enough to know that this is my default tone for shooting down bullshit. It's got nothing to do with being personally upset. You're welcome for the initiation.

<3 Bunneh

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Being able to be cool under pressure is one of the best Pros there is.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What's the definition of "bad" again? If someone was compassionate, I don't know if I would label them "bad."
    Misguided compassion can be bad - for example, taking in an infected bum into your house and exposing your children to pathogens.

That's an extreme example, of course. More common examples would be people who value the appearance of compassion over true compassion (evil FJs), and people who are handicapped by tribalistic compassion (i.e. the indoctrinated)
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I think psychopath is a word that is used too loosely to be meaningful, apart from a clinical context. So I don't think you could really suggest a one-to-one correspondence with any types.

I will play devil's advocate and say that extreme selflessness is just as unhealthy as extreme selfishness. I'm not sure which is more destructive... but the thing is, sometimes when people are really selfless, they expect something out of it. Maybe not money or material goods, but they expect something. You can "give" things, and still have it be mostly about you. The lower levels of Enneagram 2 are like this. Selflessness is praiseworthy when it takes the actual needs of others into account. If not, then I'm not so sure.

If someone was Zen enough not to expect anything, then I would say that selflessness could probably not be too extreme. But how many people are that Zen?

I'm for the middle way between selflessness, and selfishness.

Well, gotta go pop my Ayn Rand books on tape into my Walkman and drift off to sleep, and let the word invade my dreams.

On a side note, why can't I stop shrugging? It's really annoying. Also, I've developed an intense hatred of globes, for some reason.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    What kind of a gibberish is this? This is a very, very incorrect statement and mangling of the word "explain"
    I didn't exactly invent the phrase "explains variance." It's just statistics!

O'Grady, K. (1982). Measures of explained variance: Cautions and limitations. Psychological Bulletin

Measures of explained variance (e.g., proportion of variance accounted for) are often considered to indicate the importance of a statistical finding. Psychometric, methodological, and theoretical limitations to this viewpoint are discussed. It is concluded that optimal use of measures of explained variance can be made when researchers examine the agreement between the magnitude that their theory would suggest and the empirical findings.

If you would like to read the papers that correlate personality traits with psychological disorders so that you can determine whether you think they really explain variance or not, you're free to: Google Scholar is right this way -->

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Psychopaths lives off the vulnerabilities of others. They blend in with others by mimicking them flawlessly. So I have some trouble with how one can sleep at night when the person you are supporting could be a psychopath having necrophilia dreams of your kids. e.g. Ted Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Psychopaths lives off the vulnerabilities of others. They blend in with others by mimicking them flawlessly. So I have some trouble with how one can sleep at night when the person you are supporting could be a psychopath having necrophilia dreams of your kids. e.g. Ted Bundy.

The not so obvious alternative to that would be, of course, not to do so.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.