User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I can usually blow through non-fiction books more quickly than fiction. But I do like a good story. Mostly, I like a good lesson. Something I can take with me.

My tastes aren't very even. I like some sci/fi, some fantasy, some futuristic/dystopian stories, horror/scary, and emotional stories/drama/chick literature.

I had read once that Se/Ni has a different reading style than Si/Ne. Se/Ni wants to take in all of the sensual parts of the story, fully recreating the image and scenery in their head, relishing on certain sentences or words. Whereas Si/Ne style tends to read at a quicker pace, often trying to predict the outcome.
    Ohh this is especially interesting. It's like with the SeNi-ers, reading becomes something to experience in a different way than SiNe-ers. I know I am a speed reader who whips through things to parse the general meaning of what's going on rather than slowing down to savor it all. For the desire to know ALL supercedes the ability to savor. I try, really I do, to savor such things, but I cannot. Or I suppose more accurately I can only do that on a second read, and I better find enough that I missed to make the second read worthwhile.

such as the Song of Ice and Fire series.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Ohh this is especially interesting. It's like with the SeNi-ers, reading becomes something to experience in a different way than SiNe-ers. I know I am a speed reader who whips through things to parse the general meaning of what's going on rather than slowing down to savor it all. For the desire to know ALL supercedes the ability to savor. I try, really I do, to savor such things, but I cannot. Or I suppose more accurately I can only do that on a second read, and I better find enough that I missed to make the second read worthwhile.

I had always wondered how true this stood for all Se/Ni people vs Si/Ne people. So it's cool to hear you say that you do have a different way of approaching books. My ESTJ friend confirmed the same. She just picks up the general jist with Si and goes off with it with her Ne. But I'll stay stuck on one page, one paragraph, one line sometimes. Just rereading it, fully taking it in, sort of allowing it to go deeper. I've never reread a book, because I usually feel I've already memorized it after the first go around, or will instead just skim it the second go around.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I love things that are atmospheric -- that's a big thing for me. I love fantasy -- not so much sci-fi, since I don't really like the 'atmosphere' of space. I love feeling the warmth from the hearth. I love feeling the wind when you look over a capital city for the first time from a nearby hill. I love long-winded introspective passages. I love little moments when characters sit and recollect, and nothing happens. I love it when things are a little sad. I love it when characters revisit places from the past, and you feel that they have come such a long way. I love winter mornings and brightly lit lively nights, when the storm is raging outside. I love it when the climax is something very personal and silent and is decided in a heartbeat, in a breath, in a look.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, this is how I am too. I could never stand the pages and pages of description, just tell me what happens! (which is why i`m a heretic who liked LOTR movies much more than the books, although I read them all).

I don`t really know if it`s a type thing, I suspect for me it`s related to my impatience in general.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I love fantasy, both epic and urban, including paranormal romance.
    I'll read just any kind of genre fic as long is it isn't too depressing or scary, but most of what I read is fluff.
    I read sci-fi, mystery, historical fiction (including but not limited to bodice rippers), romance (though I've been known to pretend the male protagonist is a werewolf, just to liven things up).
    One of my favorite series has a time travel element, though it isn't the main theme.

I can get impatient and bored and when I do, I usually just skim over the stuff between the dialogue. If I love the book, I may well go back and reread it to see what I missed, but I'm strongly driven to find out what happens. I need to know now, dammit!

And I love humor. One of my favorite PNR series is set in a small, rural Kentucky town, so you've got redneck werewolves living in trailer parks and vampires being gossiped about at church potlucks. It is silly, but it makes me very happy.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Yeah, this is how I am too. I could never stand the pages and pages of description, just tell me what happens! (which is why i`m a heretic who liked LOTR movies much more than the books, although I read them all).

I don`t really know if it`s a type thing, I suspect for me it`s related to my impatience in general.
    Yeah, I liked the LOTR movies better than the books for the same reason. You aren't the only one.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

Yup, too much exposition, and I'm bored to tears, flipping ahead, to see when the actual story begins.

I can agree with @IndyAnnaJoan theory, that Si/Ne likes to read quick, attempting to guess at an outcome. I ready pretty damn fast, and am always trying to predict how it will end. Love books that plesantly surprise me. It's like a dialogue happens between myself and the author, "gotcha!"

My favourite book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

[B]Do you think that your type affects what kinds of books you enjoy reading?
    My reading habits have changed quite a bit over time. Consequently I'm not so sure it's "type" related.

When I was a youngster and my reading was at it's most voracious I mostly read fiction; science fiction, fantasy/adventure and the occasional non-fiction book on war history and history in general. Tolkien really had a large impact on my enjoyment of the genre. Fast forward 30 years and it's the opposite. I mostly read non-fiction and periodicals. I like my info bite sized and it's quite rare for me to get into a book that is more than a couple hundred pages. Yeah, real life caught up to me. Work, commute, sleep, eat, spend the couple/few hours I have on more bang for my buck options, i.e. typing this post
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Another person here who likes the LOTR movies more than the books. I could only finish the first book, actually, for that reason. Geez, I have never seen a bigger exposition dump in my life than in the preface of Fellowship of the Ring. (edit: well, maybe the beginning of Brave New World would give it a run for its money...)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    Another person here who likes the LOTR movies more than the books. I could only finish the first book, actually, for that reason. Geez, I have never seen a bigger exposition dump in my life than in the preface of Fellowship of the Ring. (edit: well, maybe the beginning of Brave New World would give it a run for its money...)
    You sir/ma'am BLASHPEME!!! You take that back, nao!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft