User Tag List

First 12345 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Ni perceives no timeline and will leap back, forth or current, so the INTJ in question doesn't understand Ni.
    The INTJ in question may have been on some more specific tangent- I can see myself making a claim like that without really paying attention to the broader implications of what I’m saying, it’ll just be the clumsily stated subjective truth about some very specific criteria; e.g. saying “I don’t like blue” when the more specific truth is that I don’t like royal blue….but then at some later point maybe I’ll remember that I like periwinkle, so I’ll redact my statement when I notice how clumsily it was initially stated. (And the kinda funny/embarrassing thing about it is that I might really emphatically initially express "I don't like blue".)

Otherwise, this is definitely true- and reading the op, I had the same “a Ni dom said this?” reaction. I agree that it’s very difficult for Ni to separate ‘right now’ from ‘previous experience’ and/or ‘potential experience’. And reading anything about an isolated ‘right now’ or ‘the past’ can feel stifling/very unsatisfying to me if there isn’t something therein to connect it to a wider context of experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    The Huffington Post ran an article related to this topic about a month ago.

Here Is The One Perfect Book For Every Single Myers-Briggs Type

I think The Gunslinger was a good choice for ISTPs, given @superunknown's enthusiasm for the book (data point of 1, hahaha). I hated the book the suggested for INFJs. I think I'd enjoy everything they suggested for the FPs, though I haven't actually read any of them.
    I’ve never heard of the one suggested for INFJs, but judging from the description it’s not something I’d ever choose to read. Borges has long been one of my favorite authors though- he was the INTJ suggestion. Of that list- Brave New World (the INTP suggestion) would be a relatively close second.

For the past several years I’ve mostly read nonfiction. The last fiction book I read that I really liked was Unbearable Lightness Of Being.

Favorite authors that are coming to mind are Jorge Luis Borges and Dostoyevsky. I think I like them because they help me make sense of my experience of the world.

I just started reading The Little Golden Calf (Yevgeny Petrov), and I really like it so far (most reviews compare it to Don Quixote). What I appreciate about this kind of read (this particular brand of humor) is that it helps me to take life less seriously- things that I’d perceive on my own as being too heavy are made light of, which is extraordinarily helpful to me. Vonnegut has that affect on me too. Or Richard Brautigan or Tom Robbins. eta: And Douglas Adams.

The last thing I read that I didn’t really care for was something by David Sedaris, I can’t even remember the name. I don’t really understand the appeal that guy has. Reading his stuff feels (to me) like being trapped in a car with other versions of myself and we can’t stop arguing with each other about everything.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I don't really like time-jumping in books. My favorite stories are usually fictional but not super-fantasy, pretty linear, following a single character or a couple characters through a journey. I like richly illustrated worlds that I can lose myself in, and I like a fair amount of action to keep the story moving. I like books that keep me engaged and on my toes, but that don't scare or depress me. Obviously I prefer the whodunnit to the howcatchem (lol) - I love Agatha Christie and was hooked on Nancy Drew as a kid. I really like old British mysteries and new techno-thrillers.

My ISFJ loves Russian lit, revolution and gulags and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    The INTJ in question may have been on some more specific tangent- I can see myself making a claim like that without really paying attention to the broader implications of what I’m saying, it’ll just be the clumsily stated subjective truth about some very specific criteria; e.g. saying “I don’t like blue” when the more specific truth is that I don’t like royal blue….but then at some later point maybe I’ll remember that I like periwinkle, so I’ll redact my statement when I notice how clumsily it was initially stated. (And the kinda funny/embarrassing thing about it is that I might really emphatically initially express "I don't like blue".)
    Possibly but only if time travel is viewed in its most simplest terms of past to present comparison where past is the litmus test for 'rightness'. As is evident in many books that include time travel, it's a lot more complex than the comparison aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    For instance I adore the idea of time travel and non-linear storytelling and getting the whole picture in bits that are disjointed like a puzzle I get to smash together in my head. The person I was talking to thought that time travel was "the vice of Si" being that they are Ni and don't see the point in caring about the past.
    A so-called INTJ equates time travel with the past while simultaneously claiming time travel is the vice of Si. Irony . . .
    In the book Analytical Psychology: Its Theory & Practice, Carl Jung wrote:

"Intuition is something like H.G. Wells's Time Machine."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I can usually blow through non-fiction books more quickly than fiction. But I do like a good story. Mostly, I like a good lesson. Something I can take with me.

My tastes aren't very even. I like some sci/fi, some fantasy, some futuristic/dystopian stories, horror/scary, and emotional stories/drama/chick literature.

I had read once that Se/Ni has a different reading style than Si/Ne. Se/Ni wants to take in all of the sensual parts of the story, fully recreating the image and scenery in their head, relishing on certain sentences or words. Whereas Si/Ne style tends to read at a quicker pace, often trying to predict the outcome.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

@IndyAnnaJoan: Good one. A literary holy grail for me is a sound lesson that cuts deep to my own personal demons and will stick in my gut for years to come.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    NFJ

Introverts read more.

Intuitives read more complex stuff.

Thinkers don't share what they read.

Judgers read the book all the way through.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Anything that presents a relevant message to my own life and the potential states I might go through in that life.

But also anything that gives me a perspective I might not have considered, which triggers my mental drifts.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Anything that presents a relevant message to my own life and the potential states I might go through in that life.

But also anything that gives me a perspective I might not have considered, which triggers my mental drifts.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Glycerine

I like realistic fiction, nonfiction social science (I can't stand self-help or inspirational books though) and some philosophy. I should start reading again.