User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Ever meet anyone totally against personality tests and MBTI ?

I tried to talk to a friend about it, because I'm curious to know what he would test as, but he would have none of it. He was totally against it on the basis that it creates labels for people, and he seemed to think that people could change their personalities so he figured what was the point? It's interesting because by being against labels and thinking that things change I have been able to label him as a P. But does anyone else have this experience?
    "In Heaven, everything is fine." - The Lady in the Radiator

Permabanned

I think that's most people. They don't like being put in a box. Doesn't matter to me just more ammo for me to get ahead in life with.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Ever meet someone totally against MBTI and other such personality tests?

I tried to get a friend to take one, just because I couldn't place him in my mind as a sensing type or an intuitive type, and he was adamantly against the test and the idea on the grounds that it labels people and also the idea that people's personalities are more fluid than a test would indicate. Which is interesting because paradoxically it labels him as a P rather than a J, in that he doesn't like to have things settled. But have you ever encountered such resistance in introducing the idea to people?
    "In Heaven, everything is fine." - The Lady in the Radiator

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by taylord View Post
    I tried to talk to a friend about it, because I'm curious to know what he would test as, but he would have none of it. He was totally against it on the basis that it creates labels for people, and he seemed to think that people could change their personalities so he figured what was the point? It's interesting because by being against labels and thinking that things change I have been able to label him as a P. But does anyone else have this experience?
    Yea, I stopped presenting MBTI to infp's, enfp', enfj's, and isfp's....sadly I had to figure out each personality type on my own until I really got the hang of it.

In my experience they take it personally...and get mad.

I just dont bring it up anymore.

They seem to think they're being put in a box. Fi especially, tends to be less linear than Te. When I'm coming from a pov saying "I wanna get to know you better,' they think I'm stereotyping them...or something... But without the functions...I'd probably still be lost and not understanding that people are born with a completely different set of brain functions than me.

It's all part of the fun I guess lol

Stansmith

Anyone with an avid social life under the age of 23, really.

brainheart

My husband thinks it's the stupidest thing ever. So do lots of other people I know. He's an ESFP 6w7 so/sx but interest or disinterest doesn't seem to necessarily correlate with type. There are people of his type who are interested. I think it can have to do with upbringing, personal interests, etc. His parents are pretty close-minded, practical people who have zero interest in introspection or abstraction. Similarly, too much of either of these things freaks him out. He likes certainty.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by taylord View Post
    I know a few people who think this way. I think this way most times.

I know someone like this. He refused to take the test despite much pleading from his friends. I personally think he's an INFP.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Multiple ESFJs in my life have zero interest in it. I feel like sensors have less interest in it than the others.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I never even talk about it with my friends. It's more something for self-discovery than social placement I would think.