• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ever meet anyone totally against personality tests and MBTI ?

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I tried to talk to a friend about it, because I'm curious to know what he would test as, but he would have none of it. He was totally against it on the basis that it creates labels for people, and he seemed to think that people could change their personalities so he figured what was the point? It's interesting because by being against labels and thinking that things change I have been able to label him as a P. But does anyone else have this experience?

badger055

Permabanned
I think that's most people. They don't like being put in a box. Doesn't matter to me just more ammo for me to get ahead in life with.

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ever meet someone totally against MBTI and other such personality tests?

I tried to get a friend to take one, just because I couldn't place him in my mind as a sensing type or an intuitive type, and he was adamantly against the test and the idea on the grounds that it labels people and also the idea that people's personalities are more fluid than a test would indicate. Which is interesting because paradoxically it labels him as a P rather than a J, in that he doesn't like to have things settled. But have you ever encountered such resistance in introducing the idea to people?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tried to talk to a friend about it, because I'm curious to know what he would test as, but he would have none of it. He was totally against it on the basis that it creates labels for people, and he seemed to think that people could change their personalities so he figured what was the point? It's interesting because by being against labels and thinking that things change I have been able to label him as a P. But does anyone else have this experience?

Yea, I stopped presenting MBTI to infp's, enfp', enfj's, and isfp's....sadly I had to figure out each personality type on my own until I really got the hang of it.

In my experience they take it personally...and get mad.

I just dont bring it up anymore.

They seem to think they're being put in a box. Fi especially, tends to be less linear than Te. When I'm coming from a pov saying "I wanna get to know you better,' they think I'm stereotyping them...or something... But without the functions...I'd probably still be lost and not understanding that people are born with a completely different set of brain functions than me.

It's all part of the fun I guess :shrug: lol

S

Stansmith

Anyone with an avid social life under the age of 23, really.

B

brainheart

My husband thinks it's the stupidest thing ever. So do lots of other people I know. He's an ESFP 6w7 so/sx but interest or disinterest doesn't seem to necessarily correlate with type. There are people of his type who are interested. I think it can have to do with upbringing, personal interests, etc. His parents are pretty close-minded, practical people who have zero interest in introspection or abstraction. Similarly, too much of either of these things freaks him out. He likes certainty.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

I know a few people who think this way. I think this way most times.

I know someone like this. He refused to take the test despite much pleading from his friends. I personally think he's an INFP.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Multiple ESFJs in my life have zero interest in it. I feel like sensors have less interest in it than the others.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never even talk about it with my friends. It's more something for self-discovery than social placement I would think.

93JC

I also happen to think they're a little silly in that they put labels on people, however they're mostly benign in my opinion. If someone uses personality 'types' to reinforce stereotypes that's more of a reflection on them.

I would absolutely refuse to participate if my employer wanted me to complete a personality test. No good would ever come from some HR putz having a personality test result.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My husband thinks it's the stupidest thing ever. So do lots of other people I know. He's an ESFP 6w7 so/sx but interest or disinterest doesn't seem to necessarily correlate with type. There are people of his type who are interested. I think it can have to do with upbringing, personal interests, etc. His parents are pretty close-minded, practical people who have zero interest in introspection or abstraction. Similarly, too much of either of these things freaks him out. He likes certainty.

I am a little sad now. I feel like you have so much insight to offer...and can't share that irl :(

chaoticbrain

MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think he's dead on right, the MBTI is something that gives people an illusion of understanding themselves and others, and is a joke. In any attempt to investigate it you'll find that there are exceptions and contradications all over the place, and people only believe in it based on a small amount of truth which it does possess.

McCool

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't think anybody cares about typology until that person is curious whether or not something is wrong with him/her or someone that they know...or a relationship between the two....

B

brainheart

I don't think anybody cares about typology until that person is curious whether or not something is wrong with him/her or someone that they know...or a relationship between the two....

I'm going to agree that this is the case for many people. I had zero interest in any of it until I had a total breakdown. Good point.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The one main person I've encountered that hates on MBTI always bashes the test rather than the theory. I try to illustrate the difference to him but he doesn't even seem to get what point I'm trying to make. :shrug:

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
The one main person I've encountered that hates on MBTI always bashes the test rather than the theory. I try to illustrate the difference to him but he doesn't even seem to get what point I'm trying to make. :shrug:
Is it an ESFJ by any chance?

I don't know a whole lot of ESFJs but you get the "umm, why are you so interested in this?" response from them.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know a whole lot of ESFJs but you get the "umm, why are you so interested in this?" response from them.

No I'm pretty sure he's some kinda INXX actually.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

My ESFJ bestie responded to me like that, too. I learned after that to just keep talking anyway and she'll have to listen. :devil: