• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I using Ne?

S

Stansmith

I've been in a relatively good mood today, and I noticed that I had a few thoughts going through my mind that seemed to resemble Ne. I relate heavily to the negative aspects of tertiary/inferior Si, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's whats been keeping me (and others on this forum) from noticing Ne in myself during the severe (in every sense of the word) depressive episode I've been going through for the past 4-5 months.

For example, I was at the gym earlier, when I noticed that the one bathroom stall was occupied (I have a terrible habit of changing in them, they make me feel like batman). Based on the noises I was hearing, the person occupying the stall was taking a dump. I waited 10 minutes in complete silence, watching people come in and out (I wondered if they thought I was some sort of peeping tom, since the bench I was sitting on was conveniently situated by the urinals),and started to wonder what was going on in there. For a second, I wondered whether or not he had already left while I was immersed in thought, and I tilted my head to peak under the bathroom stall door. I noticed the same 2 sneakers I had seen earlier when I walked in. I then entertained the possibility (jokingly) that perhaps he was taking cocaine (in a rather awkward sitting position, perhaps he had a piece of cardboard), and started to wonder whether or not it would've improved his performance drastically. I imagined the person in question, in a cocained-induced rage, lifting an exaggerated amount of weight in front of a crowd of onlookers (planet fitness would call him a lunk). I then concluded that it would likely only improve his endurance, although perhaps under the influenced of the drug, he'd be delusional enough to lift more than he's capable of, in which case, it would probably result in injury (although he probably wouldn't feel it until after the comedown, or maybe the injury would be the comedown). I was entertained by all of this. After about 5 minutes I started to worry about him and considered alerting someone, but then I figured it would've been incredibly embarrassing for him if he were just sitting there, shooting the breeze for a moment, enjoying a moment of solitude and relaxation (well, selfishly) after excreting a massive amount of feces. After all, it's not uncommon for me to do the same.

After a couple more minutes, I grew frustrated and decided to go to the locker room in order to change, and jokingly concluded that he was likely taking heroin (what a terrible thing to joke about. I'm a bit ashamed in retrospect) considering how idle he was. Once I got to the locker room, I felt self-conscious (like I always have) about taking my shirt off, but then I figured if any of the men in there gave my body more than a passing glance, I should be flattered. I changed, left, and laughed at the absurdity of the underwhelmingly pointless, boring situation I had conjured up in my head, which I somehow found amusing. I still wondered about his well-being. I thought I'd ease my mind a bit by imagining that he finished his internal monologue on the complexities of human emotion, picked up his pants (after wiping, of course), and left. Either that, or I had just committed an act of sadism.

--------

Is that Ne, or just Six-ness at full-swing? I already regret writing all this (it's pretty morbid.....and corny), but it's interesting. To me, anyway.

Qre:us

Is that Ne?

Conjuring up scenarios while a stranger is taking a shit, while you stand around waiting, with nothing better to do......is *something* all right.

My first guess is not "Ne", though.

W

WALMART

No.

Ne is more like expounding possibility out of reality. They are investors, entrepeneurs, gamblers, risk takers, politicians.

Almost all of Ne's reputation as random or imaginative should probaly be shifted to Ni, but even then, it is more of a habitually astract moment of percepton, not... guided.

S

Stansmith

No.

Ne is more like expounding possibility out of reality. They are investors, entrepeneurs, gamblers, risk takers, politicians.

Almost all of Ne's reputation as random or imaginative should probaly be shifted to Ni, but even then, it is more of a habitually astract moment of percepton, not... guided.

I'll often notice something (either in the external, or as I run through a bank of memories, images and thoughts), ruminate over it, analyze it from multiple perspectives, possibly going on tangents along the way as I notice other inherent patterns or questions that need to be answered, until I'm satisfied with whatever conclusion I come to, or feel that there's no need to expand the topic any further in my mind since I just 'get' it.

W

WALMART

I'll often notice something (either in the external, or as I run through a bank of memories, images and thoughts), ruminate over it, analyze it from multiple perspectives, possibly going on tangents along the way as I notice other inherent patterns or questions that need to be answered, until I'm satisfied with whatever conclusion I come to, or feel that there's no need to expand the topic any further in my mind since I just 'get' it.

Ti or Fi

B

brainheart

I'm starting to highly doubt you're a Fi dom. I could see INTP being likely, or maybe even ISTJ. I remember you tested high on Te and you say things that strike me as inferior Ne at times. They remind me of the sort of conclusions my ISTJ dad comes to.

S

Stansmith

I'm starting to highly doubt you're a Fi dom. I could see INTP being likely, or maybe even ISTJ. I remember you tested high on Te and you say things that strike me as inferior Ne at times. They remind me of the sort of conclusions my ISTJ dad comes to.

What I considered to be Te-use is just selfish Fi. I'm not task oriented, authorative, direct, nor am I ever able to detach from feeling or my own internal state.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No.

wtf?! i'm perfectly "random", in thoughts and humor, and a definite Ne-dom type.

Standuble

wtf?! i'm perfectly "random", in thoughts and humor, and a definite Ne-dom type.

I don't want to put words in his mouth but I think he was talking about Ne/Si or Ne merely appearing random when it in fact is permutation born from Si-experience data abstraction. It only appears random to an individual who wasn't aware of the experiential data being accessed, even if that is the individual themselves. Ne randomness would probably become predictable (at least in the respect that an idea could be predicted to be produced before time) if sufficient information was recorded or the Si functions operation (and its relation to the judging function) was objectively quantified.

At the very least I see NeSi users (when in the right mood) being able to determine which thought or idea caused the tangent thought (or as I like to call it: identify the location of "the knot which has tied the shoelaces together"). This process is probably easier for introverts though.

I've been in a relatively good mood today, and I noticed that I had a few thoughts going through my mind that seemed to resemble Ne. I relate heavily to the negative aspects of tertiary/inferior Si, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's whats been keeping me (and others on this forum) from noticing Ne in myself during the severe (in every sense of the word) depressive episode I've been going through for the past 4-5 months.

I'm not going to type you however if you were a strong Ne user it would show up even if you were in the grip of a tertiary/inferior Si episode. For example a few of the sentences may have exaggerated Si but the whole post would still echo Ne.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an Ne dom and very much so- I do not relate to this story. (Though I was entertained by it!) Your caring side came thru- amid dumps and or drug use. I sensed Ni for sure- cuz you really honed in on a specific scenario- drugs. So I looked up your functions and sure enough- tertiary Ni. Yeah- not Ne. Ne is like putting on a set of WINGS and flying ALL AROUND THE HEALTH CLUB and OUTSIDE OF IT and figuring out any possibility that can go on while you are there- being bored of the dump/drug dude like really quickly. lol ;)

W

WALMART

It is possible to imagine an Ne type without a hint of randomness to its perception. It is not possible to imagine an Ni type without a hint of randomness (to most objective observers) to its perception. Ne is a lot more about physical possibility than mental possibility - "Where can I be?" "What can I be doing?" "Where should we be headed?" Almost instead of questioning, it's more of a compulsive requisite.

[MENTION=14363]Standuble[/MENTION] seems to be onto what I'm talking about, thank you.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ne is a lot more about physical possibility than mental possibility - "Where can I be?" "What can I be doing?" "Where should we be headed?" Almost instead of questioning, it's more of a compulsive requisite.

That's a really good way to describe it and it describes my cognition perfectly. Thanks for that. I mean I get Ne and the other functions, it's just hard for me to put them into words. How would you describe Ni if you were to describe Ne that way?

W

WALMART

That's a really good way to describe it and it describes my cognition perfectly. Thanks for that. I mean I get Ne and the other functions, it's just hard for me to put them into words. How would you describe Ni if you were to describe Ne that way?

Hmm. Jung thought Ni types were more often cranks than not. Instead of searching out physical possibility in the manner Ne does, it latches to the possibilities of very specific, nuanced facets of existence that it has perceived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_(person)

"The peculiar nature of introverted intuition, when given the priority, also produces a peculiar type of man, viz. the mystical dreamer and seer on the one hand, or the fantastical crank and artist on the other. The latter might be regarded as the normal case, since there is a general tendency of this type to confine himself to the perceptive character of intuition. As a rule, the intuitive stops at perception; perception is his principal problem, and -- in the case of a productive artist-the shaping of perception. But the crank contents himself with the intuition by which he himself is shaped and determined. Intensification of intuition naturally often results in an extraordinary aloofness of the individual from tangible reality; he may even become a complete enigma to his own immediate circle."

(My Ni description will likely never be user-friendly due to this, unfortunately. For that, I apologize.)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Possibly. But it could easily be some Ni/Se thing going on too. It's hard to tell from this instance alone.

B

brainheart

What I considered to be Te-use is just selfish Fi. I'm not task oriented, authorative, direct, nor am I ever able to detach from feeling or my own internal state.

Ok. All I know is when you have these threads where you talk about how your thought processes work and what you end up thinking about it seems very foreign to me. And I don't usually feel like that with ISFPs.

S

Stansmith

It seems as if NPs are more grounded in reality than they're given credit for. There's nothing other-worldly or truly alienating about their thought patterns, just light-hearted tangential humor and cookbooks. I feel like an alien in comparison, and in a way, more delusional.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, it doesn't seem like Ne to me either.

I'm not sure why people focus so much on Ni/Se be the likely source - to me it's appears rather Se/Ni. With SPs there's this whole inclination to start down a path and keep wandering along it until it reaches its natural conclusion. In other words, they get an idea in their heads and then go along with the natural flow of ideas that follow. Sometimes they get trapped in that little world they're exploring, curious as to where the path is going to take them, and in that sense Se can look like Ne getting caught up in tangential meanderings. But with Ne it's not like following a single, clear path; the idea connections that follow are too disparate and non-linear. With Se/Ni everything's like a story, and I would even argue that SPs are very passionate storytellers in one sense or another*. They like seeing and talking about how situations/ideas/emotions/thoughts/reactions etc flow into one another and become connected and build a picture of something. With Ne there's none of that same narrative flow, but I'm not sure quite how to describe it. I'm not sure if this is right but, I would say that it's like Ne-users leap from one thought to another, becoming much more in love with each succeeding idea than with the one that preceded it. In fact we often rapidly and completely forget what preceded because it's totally unimportant now that we have new and shiny idea to focus on. So in that sense the progression of thought (or the 'flow') is totally inconsequential to us; we don't care how we ended up at this point, all that matters that we're here now. Of course, if Si is doing it's job, you some how end up circling back and joining the dots, so there's something useful or meaningful to take away from, what would otherwise be, a pointless tangential thought.

*These 'stories' can be come in many different forms too. My ISTP mechanic Dad tells me about his thought process in how he fixes machinery, and it seems like the problem solving process is like a narrative to him. He just observes the signs and then walks backwards from that, step by step, to look at the natural contributing factors. It makes him incredible at what he does, because he sees what everyone else missed. He's often solving mechanical problems that has had everyone else tearing their hair out for weeks on end, in just a few minutes.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ne is like a need. I cannot not be in Ne mode. It's like exciting- like I can't wait to figure out all of the possibilities that could be taking place. I think it's why I cannot stay in perpetual sadness- or at least not show sadness to the world because possibilities can always be positive. There is always another way.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ne randomness would probably become predictable (at least in the respect that an idea could be predicted to be produced before time) if sufficient information was recorded or the Si functions operation (and its relation to the judging function) was objectively quantified.

At the very least I see NeSi users (when in the right mood) being able to determine which thought or idea caused the tangent thought (or as I like to call it: identify the location of "the knot which has tied the shoelaces together"). This process is probably easier for introverts though.

You're absolutely right that it's not at all random. As well as about the Si backbone. As for introverts having an easier time of tracing - maybe, maybe not. I find it very easy to trace Ne. Like, EXTREMELY clear. The Si links might not be as immediately evident, but the external N sure is.
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], sounds like full-on 6 to me. I do this sort of "running down a situation" thing all the time. It makes Ne + 6 seem a little more Ni, I think. But it's not Ni for me because it's not well-oriented in probability. Exactly which imagined situation I "run down" has more to do with what's been going on externally that I put together than a sense of what's most likely to happen. And my sense of what's most likely to happen is borne from Si experiential data, not Ni inference.