User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Am I using Ne?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

As an Ne dom and very much so- I do not relate to this story. (Though I was entertained by it!) Your caring side came thru- amid dumps and or drug use. I sensed Ni for sure- cuz you really honed in on a specific scenario- drugs. So I looked up your functions and sure enough- tertiary Ni. Yeah- not Ne. Ne is like putting on a set of WINGS and flying ALL AROUND THE HEALTH CLUB and OUTSIDE OF IT and figuring out any possibility that can go on while you are there- being bored of the dump/drug dude like really quickly. lol
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    wtf?! i'm perfectly "random", in thoughts and humor, and a definite Ne-dom type.
    It is possible to imagine an Ne type without a hint of randomness to its perception. It is not possible to imagine an Ni type without a hint of randomness (to most objective observers) to its perception. Ne is a lot more about physical possibility than mental possibility - "Where can I be?" "What can I be doing?" "Where should we be headed?" Almost instead of questioning, it's more of a compulsive requisite.

@Standuble seems to be onto what I'm talking about, thank you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Ne is a lot more about physical possibility than mental possibility - "Where can I be?" "What can I be doing?" "Where should we be headed?" Almost instead of questioning, it's more of a compulsive requisite.
    That's a really good way to describe it and it describes my cognition perfectly. Thanks for that. I mean I get Ne and the other functions, it's just hard for me to put them into words. How would you describe Ni if you were to describe Ne that way?
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    That's a really good way to describe it and it describes my cognition perfectly. Thanks for that. I mean I get Ne and the other functions, it's just hard for me to put them into words. How would you describe Ni if you were to describe Ne that way?
    Hmm. Jung thought Ni types were more often cranks than not. Instead of searching out physical possibility in the manner Ne does, it latches to the possibilities of very specific, nuanced facets of existence that it has perceived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_(person)

"The peculiar nature of introverted intuition, when given the priority, also produces a peculiar type of man, viz. the mystical dreamer and seer on the one hand, or the fantastical crank and artist on the other. The latter might be regarded as the normal case, since there is a general tendency of this type to confine himself to the perceptive character of intuition. As a rule, the intuitive stops at perception; perception is his principal problem, and -- in the case of a productive artist-the shaping of perception. But the crank contents himself with the intuition by which he himself is shaped and determined. Intensification of intuition naturally often results in an extraordinary aloofness of the individual from tangible reality; he may even become a complete enigma to his own immediate circle."

(My Ni description will likely never be user-friendly due to this, unfortunately. For that, I apologize.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Possibly. But it could easily be some Ni/Se thing going on too. It's hard to tell from this instance alone.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    What I considered to be Te-use is just selfish Fi. I'm not task oriented, authorative, direct, nor am I ever able to detach from feeling or my own internal state.
    Ok. All I know is when you have these threads where you talk about how your thought processes work and what you end up thinking about it seems very foreign to me. And I don't usually feel like that with ISFPs.

Stansmith

It seems as if NPs are more grounded in reality than they're given credit for. There's nothing other-worldly or truly alienating about their thought patterns, just light-hearted tangential humor and cookbooks. I feel like an alien in comparison, and in a way, more delusional.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Yeah, it doesn't seem like Ne to me either.

I'm not sure why people focus so much on Ni/Se be the likely source - to me it's appears rather Se/Ni. With SPs there's this whole inclination to start down a path and keep wandering along it until it reaches its natural conclusion. In other words, they get an idea in their heads and then go along with the natural flow of ideas that follow. Sometimes they get trapped in that little world they're exploring, curious as to where the path is going to take them, and in that sense Se can look like Ne getting caught up in tangential meanderings. But with Ne it's not like following a single, clear path; the idea connections that follow are too disparate and non-linear. With Se/Ni everything's like a story, and I would even argue that SPs are very passionate storytellers in one sense or another*. They like seeing and talking about how situations/ideas/emotions/thoughts/reactions etc flow into one another and become connected and build a picture of something. With Ne there's none of that same narrative flow, but I'm not sure quite how to describe it. I'm not sure if this is right but, I would say that it's like Ne-users leap from one thought to another, becoming much more in love with each succeeding idea than with the one that preceded it. In fact we often rapidly and completely forget what preceded because it's totally unimportant now that we have new and shiny idea to focus on. So in that sense the progression of thought (or the 'flow') is totally inconsequential to us; we don't care how we ended up at this point, all that matters that we're here now. Of course, if Si is doing it's job, you some how end up circling back and joining the dots, so there's something useful or meaningful to take away from, what would otherwise be, a pointless tangential thought.

*These 'stories' can be come in many different forms too. My ISTP mechanic Dad tells me about his thought process in how he fixes machinery, and it seems like the problem solving process is like a narrative to him. He just observes the signs and then walks backwards from that, step by step, to look at the natural contributing factors. It makes him incredible at what he does, because he sees what everyone else missed. He's often solving mechanical problems that has had everyone else tearing their hair out for weeks on end, in just a few minutes.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Ne is like a need. I cannot not be in Ne mode. It's like exciting- like I can't wait to figure out all of the possibilities that could be taking place. I think it's why I cannot stay in perpetual sadness- or at least not show sadness to the world because possibilities can always be positive. There is always another way.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Ne randomness would probably become predictable (at least in the respect that an idea could be predicted to be produced before time) if sufficient information was recorded or the Si functions operation (and its relation to the judging function) was objectively quantified.

At the very least I see NeSi users (when in the right mood) being able to determine which thought or idea caused the tangent thought (or as I like to call it: identify the location of "the knot which has tied the shoelaces together"). This process is probably easier for introverts though.
    You're absolutely right that it's not at all random. As well as about the Si backbone. As for introverts having an easier time of tracing - maybe, maybe not. I find it very easy to trace Ne. Like, EXTREMELY clear. The Si links might not be as immediately evident, but the external N sure is.

@Stansmith, sounds like full-on 6 to me. I do this sort of "running down a situation" thing all the time. It makes Ne + 6 seem a little more Ni, I think. But it's not Ni for me because it's not well-oriented in probability. Exactly which imagined situation I "run down" has more to do with what's been going on externally that I put together than a sense of what's most likely to happen. And my sense of what's most likely to happen is borne from Si experiential data, not Ni inference.