First 123 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I think depression has a much higher correlation with introversion than intuitiveness.

Also, there is always the possibility of this "Si-Fi loop" that you guys talk about with depression.
    "Si-Ti" loops also seem like part of it.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

WALMART

Far closer to introverted rationalism than intuitiveness (which is what the OP is writing about, introverted rationalism).

Frankly, I'd say your handle on the theory is pretty hollow. In fact, I might posit a close opposite of your premise.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Yeah I was about to say that Kiersey would give you a pat on the back.

I think depression could lead to intuitive activity, but not always. A bout of intuition caused by depression would lead to an epiphany about how to solve the problem that is causing depression. Jung would agree here. Ideally, the ego would take control of the process behind the scenes. If not, the intuition may lead to psychosis and a myriad of problems more damaging than depression.

The former process is probably extremely common. The latter, not so much.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm not talking about long-term preferences. Just instances of cognitive activity.

If long-term depression is changing your cognitive preferences, frankly, it sounds kinda crappy.
    I like this response as much as the avatar associated with it.

Nonetheless, rumination is a trait in itself... as well as a state that can be triggered by or trigger depression. There is the brooding type of rumination where you'd passively focus attention toward negative feelings and the potential difficulties of overcoming them, in which could lead to depression. Then there is the reflective type of rumination in which you'd actively focus on solving the issues and relieving your negative feelings--possibly preventing the onset of depression. Could a sensor believe s/he's intuitive due to depression? Sure, as well as other possibilities: that's why you should type yourself when you're not depressed.

To look at the statistics: MBTI extraverts indicated higher psychological well-being, life satisfaction... lower self-consciousness. Intuitives showed higher psychological well-being and lower self-consciousness. Judgers demonstrated higher psychological well-being (Harrington & Loffredo, 2001). These three types also exhibited better dietary habits during college (Horacek & Betts, 1998).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    isn't intuition correlated with neuroticism?
    Meh, what do I know?
    Evidence suggests that neuroticism, the propensity to display negative emotions, anxiety, depression, and anger, is either uncorrelated or negatively correlated to all types of intuition (Fumham et al., 2(03). Whereas McCrae and Costa (1989) found no significant correlation between neuroticism and MBTI intuition, Fumham and colleagues found a significant but small, negative correlation. Likewise, whereas Pacini and Epstein (1999) found no significant correlation between neuroticism and the REI experiential subscale, Epstein et al. (1996) found a significant but small negative correlation between the REI experiential subscale to depression, anxiety, and stress in college life.
    http://digitalcommons.iwu.edu/cgi/vi...=psych_honproj
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    This chart is pretty handy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-B...cator#Big_Five

IMO it's also weird that there isn't even a correlation between neuroticism and T/F. It seems to be basically unrelated to everything (well, E/I and J/P are of slight interest).

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Intuition is perception of unconscious contents and their associations. Depression is when enough tension gets locked up into the unconscious, and its function is to guide you to sort that shit out. So yeah, those complexes and what ever that is causing the depression is at least partly coming through intuition(tho they can sometimes be triggered by inferior or tert function, but even then its mostly the perception of those more unconscious functions that come through intuition and mixed with other stuff in the unconscious that gets mixed up with all the other contents).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm echoing what others have said about it probably being more correlated with introversion than intuition.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Far closer to introverted rationalism than intuitiveness (which is what the OP is writing about, introverted rationalism).

Frankly, I'd say your handle on the theory is pretty hollow. In fact, I might posit a close opposite of your premise.
    No, I'm not writing about introverted rationalism, whatever the fuck that is. I'm writing about intuition, and I offered some mechanism whereby depression can increase intuitive thinking. All you've offered is a few obscure terms topped with a shitty ad hom. Frankly, I'd say you're a pretentious dick.
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 11-05-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: +pretentious

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    No, I'm not writing about introverted rationalism, whatever the fuck that is. I'm writing about intuition, and I offered some mechanism whereby depression can increase intuitive thinking. All you've offered is a few obscure terms topped with a shitty ad hom. Frankly, I'd say you're a pretentious dick.
    My apologies for presenting myself so bluntly.

The term is far from obscure. A simple search query could educate you on its existence, after which you could rationally reframe your perception in the context of my opinion. It's absurd to think the proper alternative is for me to do this work for you when you've been empowered thusly.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by LittleV View Post
    I like this response as much as the avatar associated with it.

Nonetheless, rumination is a trait in itself... as well as a state that can be triggered by or trigger depression. There is the brooding type of rumination where you'd passively focus attention toward negative feelings and the potential difficulties of overcoming them, in which could lead to depression. Then there is the reflective type of rumination in which you'd actively focus on solving the issues and relieving your negative feelings--possibly preventing the onset of depression. Could a sensor believe s/he's intuitive due to depression? Sure, as well as other possibilities: that's why you should type yourself when you're not depressed.

To look at the statistics: MBTI extraverts indicated higher psychological well-being, life satisfaction... lower self-consciousness. Intuitives showed higher psychological well-being and lower self-consciousness. Judgers demonstrated higher psychological well-being (Harrington & Loffredo, 2001). These three types also exhibited better dietary habits during college (Horacek & Betts, 1998).
    On some MBTI tests I get INTP, but I know I am INTJ. At those times I think I am more depressed, at least that is what I speculated until now. I wonder if it is really related.