User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Lmao

That's debatable.

Coming from a huge Dylan fan, btw.
    It's all debatable, but I'm in the isfp camp myself. I also love Bobby D. I rather like your taste in music, Saudade! I had "Tomorrow is a Long Time" on repeat after a break-up, and it got me through.

But yeah, as much as I'd love to debate his type, I'm in the wrong thread. Lots of great ISFP musicians, even without him though. Pretty sure my girl Joni Mitchell is ISFP. Joni can paint, design fashion, write ballets, and most importantly--make music! Blue is definitely a desert island disc for me.

She is the quintessential ISFP artist

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Joni Mitchell definitely belongs in the singer-songwriter pantheon along with Dylan.

And she's every bit as likely to be an S.

brainheart

I was a film major and have taken a number of visual art classes and a number of creative writing classes, so I've really run the spectrum of the creative arts. I would say there were a lot of ISXPs and a number of ENXPs in the film and visual art classes, while in the writing classes it was primarily ENFPs and xNFJs. Oddly, in both, I always felt like an iconoclast, when you'd think these areas would be overflowing with INFPs. Trends that I noticed (although there were of course always exceptions and I am speaking on extremely broad terms here):

ISFP art would typically leave you with a good feeling/ be funny/ silly/ endearing but would also be visually striking/unique. I think most cartoon artists- those who may write graphic novels about real life but then change their characters into animals or cute monsters- are ISFPs. An artist that I suspect is an ISFP that I particularly like: http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/james-kochalka I think ISFPs are extremely influenced by their etype, likely the most of any type, so there is a lot of variation, but there tends to be a playfulness to it, I've noticed- even when addressing difficult themes. ISFP art seems to have a broad appeal- even if it's quirky and weird, there's something about it that most people can identify with.

ISTPs were the technically/ visually accurate obsessives. When evaluating my art (which tends to be more about the feelings and somewhat bizarre/grotesque/odd), they'd point out how the figures were out of proportion or how my shot was out of focus or if I would have used this particular filter the colors would be truer. When in the visual arts, I think they tend to end up being cinematographers/ professional photographers or visual artists who do photographic realism. Technical acuity is key.

ENFPs I think are mostly prevalent in the verbal arts, although there were also a lot of ENXPs in my film classes. They tended to do the most shocking stuff, but in a playful/cheeky way. They were the least self conscious, so they'd really put themselves out there for all to see. Lots of confessional/memoir sort of stuff.

XNFJs seemed to emphasize personal/community transformation in their writing, like something Oprah would pick for her book club. The writing professors were also typically XNFJs so they really fed off of each other.

The rare INXPs were the straight up weirdos. We'd show our stuff, and our fellow INXPs would get it, but the rest of the room would be relatively silent. I think they'd also be surprised because we'd be showing an aspect of ourselves they never saw otherwise, a hidden intensity.

Edit: I failed to mention- I think there are also a lot of ISFJs who are creative writers and are in the visual arts. I think they tend to create 'by the book' and do extremely perfect work. They seem to be the ones most prevalent in the arts and crafts side of things- quilting, period costume making, weaving, etc, and their writing tends to be more formulaic. Their style will be more traditional and consistent while the ISFPs will be more impulsive and whimsical.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Lmao

That's debatable.

Coming from a huge Dylan fan, btw.
    That he's a confirmed ISFP? There is no way that anyone can really "confirm" any one's type, so that's sort of a joke.

But despite working with words, there is something almost non-verbal about his approach to them . In interviews, it reminds me a lot of ISXP laconic-ness. The way he uses words is so different from the way I use words that I think a Se aux must be at work.

Is the only argument for preferring intuition over sensing is that he is creative? That's a weak argument.

Or is your disagreement that no one has changed music more than him? Hyperbolic, perhaps, but he did have a big influence.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    That he's a confirmed ISFP? There is no way that anyone can really "confirm" any one's type, so that's sort of a joke.

But despite working with words, there is something almost non-verbal about his approach to them . In interviews, it reminds me a lot of ISXP laconic-ness. The way he uses words is so different from the way I use words that I think a Se aux must be at work.

Is the only argument for preferring intuition over sensing is that he is creative? That's a weak argument.

Or is your disagreement that no one has changed music more than him? Hyperbolic, perhaps, but he did have a big influence.
    Na, I wasn't talking about his type.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I've known a lot of ISFPs who also mistyped their self as INFP, ENFP and INFJ. These were the ISFPs who were heavily into liberal arts or hippies or into philosophy or were more of a hipster. I wonder if many on those lists were actually sensing preference who saw their self as intuitive preference.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I was a film major and have taken a number of visual art classes and a number of creative writing classes, so I've really run the spectrum of the creative arts. I would say there were a lot of ISXPs and a number of ENXPs in the film and visual art classes, while in the writing classes it was primarily ENFPs and xNFJs. Oddly, in both, I always felt like an iconoclast, when you'd think these areas would be overflowing with INFPs. Trends that I noticed (although there were of course always exceptions and I am speaking on extremely broad terms here):

ISFP art would typically leave you with a good feeling/ be funny/ silly/ endearing but would also be visually striking/unique. I think most cartoon artists- those who may write graphic novels about real life but then change their characters into animals or cute monsters- are ISFPs. An artist that I suspect is an ISFP that I particularly like: http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/james-kochalka I think ISFPs are extremely influenced by their etype, likely the most of any type, so there is a lot of variation, but there tends to be a playfulness to it, I've noticed- even when addressing difficult themes. ISFP art seems to have a broad appeal- even if it's quirky and weird, there's something about it that most people can identify with.

ISTPs were the technically/ visually accurate obsessives. When evaluating my art (which tends to be more about the feelings and somewhat bizarre/grotesque/odd), they'd point out how the figures were out of proportion or how my shot was out of focus or if I would have used this particular filter the colors would be truer. When in the visual arts, I think they tend to end up being cinematographers/ professional photographers or visual artists who do photographic realism. Technical acuity is key.

ENFPs I think are mostly prevalent in the verbal arts, although there were also a lot of ENXPs in my film classes. They tended to do the most shocking stuff, but in a playful/cheeky way. They were the least self conscious, so they'd really put themselves out there for all to see. Lots of confessional/memoir sort of stuff.

XNFJs seemed to emphasize personal/community transformation in their writing, like something Oprah would pick for her book club. The writing professors were also typically XNFJs so they really fed off of each other.

The rare INXPs were the straight up weirdos. We'd show our stuff, and our fellow INXPs would get it, but the rest of the room would be relatively silent. I think they'd also be surprised because we'd be showing an aspect of ourselves they never saw otherwise, a hidden intensity.

Edit: I failed to mention- I think there are also a lot of ISFJs who are creative writers and are in the visual arts. I think they tend to create 'by the book' and do extremely perfect work. They seem to be the ones most prevalent in the arts and crafts side of things- quilting, period costume making, weaving, etc, and their writing tends to be more formulaic. Their style will be more traditional and consistent while the ISFPs will be more impulsive and whimsical.
    This was interesting.

My isfj sister is one if those artists that can draw almost anything she sees and do it very well but says she can't ever think if anything to draw or paint and doesn't really feel inspired to do it anymore but she does like crafty stuff a lot. Any thing that requires following directions. She can just nail it. Like making elaborate cakes or following a pattern on a dress or whatever.

My mothers infj art is very moody... It's about something. It means something to her. It's a story etc but it's also very detailed and intricate and layered etc
    Also she's a beautiful writer and just has a very poetic way about her.

My dad and my sister both enfps have a very abstract style. My dad painted and sculpted. His style was very cool. My sister designs fashion but her art sketches are amazing and she's been commissioned for pieces and murals n stuff. She doesn't get the appeal. She just sees them as design sketches. But they're mad cool actually.

It's interesting... The different shapes ones creativity takes.

And stansmith!! You're really very cool. Please stop being down on yourself. Isfp are awesome. Se is awesome. I haven't decided if I think that fits you yet or not but really. Wtf is the problem?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I've known a lot of ISFPs who also mistyped their self as INFP, ENFP and INFJ. These were the ISFPs who were heavily into liberal arts or hippies or into philosophy or were more of a hipster. I wonder if many on those lists were actually sensing preference who saw their self as intuitive preference.
    I suspect it's more likely that you've known a lot of NFs who correctly typed themselves as NFs but subsequently got bamboozled into thinking they were "really" ISFPs — sometimes by cognitive functions aficionados on internet forums and sometimes by sources that told them ISFP was the quintessential artist type.

You know who I mean. The kinds of people who often come out N on respectable dichotomy-based tests and consider themselves Enneagram 4's and have psychology and the arts as their main interests. Those kinds of people.

Stansmith

Based on my Itunes playlist, in terms of quality..

1-INFJ
    2-ISFP
    3-INFP

I find INFP music a bit disjointed for my taste, although more interesting lyrically/conceptually than my ISFP examples. It's a wash if anything. Anyway..my typings could be way off for all I know.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    I suspect it's more likely that you've known a lot of NFs who correctly typed themselves as NFs but subsequently got bamboozled into thinking they were "really" ISFPs — sometimes by cognitive functions aficionados on internet forums and sometimes by sources that told them ISFP was the quintessential artist type.

You know who I mean. The kinds of people who often come out N on respectable dichotomy-based tests and consider themselves Enneagram 4's and have psychology and the arts as their main interests. Those kinds of people.
    I meant they believe they are not ISFP, when I'm positive they are through years of knowing them and observing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Based on my Itunes playlist, in terms of quality..

1-INFJ
    2-ISFP
    3-INFP

I find INFP music a bit disjointed for my taste, although more interesting lyrically/conceptually than my ISFP examples. It's a wash if anything. Anyway..my typings could be way off for all I know.
    I think I tend to be attracted more to xNxP music. I can't think of too many ISFP examples that I listen to other than Lana del Rey and Tegan and Sara. Do you have a Last.fm account? I'd be interested to see what types of music you listen to.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green