User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 36

  1. #11
    Senior Member two cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I agree with you, Coriolis!

    People already make all kinds of assumptions about who you are based on various criteria that aren't all that informative. It's not even a bad thing, after all, people have a justifiable interest in knowing who they are dealing with. So long as the assumptions they make have a better than random chance of being accurate, given the observation they are based on, and so long as the people making assumptions realize those assumptions only have a PROBABILITY of being correct (and, can therefore be wrong), it's useful to be able to extrapolate observations about a person to get some idea of what they might be like and how they might act.

    MBTI mostly focuses on the kinds of cognitive processes a person uses the most. As such, it's a great tool so long as it's not taken out of context and used to define everything about someone, even traits that aren't measured by the test. I've certainly found it very helpful in understanding how people around me think.
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

  2. #12
    Senior Member AzulEyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinMcBoltage View Post
    I have a great deal of fear that my hobby will generally color my world and make it so that I see everything in that context. In that sense I am constantly pulled to study more about the enneagram (even if it's just passively going through internet articles) yet also I generally have a sense of dread that my effort has been pointless and I can't really share myself to others because it's all I have.

    I honestly wish that I hadn't taken up the hobby, because I find that every other hobby out there is too physically taxing and chaotic for me to enjoy. Though it's honestly my fault that I'm simply just not a very expansive person to begin with, and that I'm an absolute WHORE for categorical definitions.
    I get this- it draws you in for that fact. And I love your DORF type. LOVE!
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

    ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

  3. #13
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by two cents View Post
    I agree with you, Coriolis!

    People already make all kinds of assumptions about who you are based on various criteria that aren't all that informative. It's not even a bad thing, after all, people have a justifiable interest in knowing who they are dealing with. So long as the assumptions they make have a better than random chance of being accurate, given the observation they are based on, and so long as the people making assumptions realize those assumptions only have a PROBABILITY of being correct (and, can therefore be wrong), it's useful to be able to extrapolate observations about a person to get some idea of what they might be like and how they might act.

    MBTI mostly focuses on the kinds of cognitive processes a person uses the most. As such, it's a great tool so long as it's not taken out of context and used to define everything about someone, even traits that aren't measured by the test. I've certainly found it very helpful in understanding how people around me think.
    Perhaps, but lets use a hypothetical.

    Lets say I am an SJ and you know I am an SJ, (in fact many would be in agreement), how would you approach me about a discussion of say determinism or existentialism?

    How would you approach me on the subject of various social issues that are prominent in discussion today?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  4. #14
    Senior Member two cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Well, if you tell me you are an SJ of one sort or another, all it tells me is that it is likely that one of your two most frequently used cognitive functions is Si (introverted sensing). That (because of the nature of this specific cognitive function) is not a relevant piece of information in trying to approach you in a discussion of broad topics in philosophy or social issues.

    Now, being an SJ also means that the other one of your prominent cognitive functions is going to be Fe or Te. Depending on which one it happens to be and whether I can figure it out, I could try to focus my argument on the aspects of [whatever I'm defending] that are most relevant to you. For Fe that (broadly) might focus more on harmonious relationships among people, and for Te perhaps on efficiency/effectiveness of systems. But, more importantly, rather than helping me better appeal to the way you see the world, knowing this will help me better understand what you are saying, to interpret your points in the way you mean them, rather than projecting my own meanings onto the words. Obviously, I can never completely escape my own perspective, but I can at least try to figure out where you are coming from, and I think that knowing what cognitive functions are primarily driving your argument helps.
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,412

    Default

    Preferring vanilla ice cream over chocolate doesn't make me vanilla ice cream.

  6. #16
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Perhaps, but lets use a hypothetical.

    Lets say I am an SJ and you know I am an SJ, (in fact many would be in agreement), how would you approach me about a discussion of say determinism or existentialism?

    How would you approach me on the subject of various social issues that are prominent in discussion today?
    This is an interesting question.

    I like to think of the MBTI as a tool. I don't employ it all the time, just when it might be useful.

    Hypothetically, I approach you about a discussion of determinism/existentialism. This is unlikely because I generally find those topics snooze-worthy. But I'd probably approach you whatever my native way of approaching people about things is. Trying to be warm, conscientious, inquisitive.

    The same would be true regarding discussing various social issues.

    I would only bring in MBTI if I thought I was struggling to talk with you for some reason. Like maybe you are giving me a really in-depth historical explanation of an event and I am just not understanding why that's relevant. I realize you're an SJ and you're probably using specific concrete details to illustrate something to me. Now I can try to look at your explanation in that light and see if it makes more sense to me.

    The funny thing in this scenario is I think my ISFJ would be more interested and be a better conversationalist regarding determinism/existentialism. And as a 6w7, I'm not exactly the most by-the-book example of an ENFP, either. So I try to keep in mind that it's just a theoretical framework. A shortcut. Nothing more.

  7. #17
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    My type is the most important thing about myself.

    I've got my type tattooed on my right shoulder.
    I've got my type on my license plate.
    My type is on my business card.
    You can find my type in my email signature.
    I've got a t-shirt with my type on it.
    I spend 4 hours a day on forums with people of the same type.
    I put my type on my resume.
    I have a framed poster in my bedroom with my MBTI results.
    I really hate people of the opposite type.

    No, I'm not obsessed with my type at all.

    In case you haven't already figured it out I am being sarcastic.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  8. #18
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    My type is the most important thing about myself.

    I've got my type tattooed on my right shoulder.
    I've got my type on my license plate.
    My type is on my business card.
    You can find my type in my email signature.
    I've got a t-shirt with my type on it.
    I spend 4 hours a day on forums with people of the same type.
    I put my type on my resume.
    I have a framed poster in my bedroom with my MBTI results.
    I really hate people of the opposite type.

    No, I'm not obsessed with my type at all.

    In case you haven't already figured it out I am being sarcastic.
    Had to look it up after you said it:

    2772813623_1e986ba621_m.jpg

    Hope he at least typed himself accurately.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  9. #19
    Senior Member Sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Despite the fact that I find this annoying, I've been guilty of it.

    This is about right:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    My sense of self has changed significantly since learning that I'm not NeSi. On the one hand, it gives me an opportunity to embrace my actual strengths, while on the other hand, it makes me feel inadequate in certain areas that I once considered myself proficient at.
    I was kind of insulted to find out that I was
    a) not a Ti-user
    b) a thinking-function inferior

    Current theories basically dismiss my propensities to finding out "how things work", tinkering with broken equipment, figuring out machines easily, defining and categorizing, and loving statistics, which is frustrating. And I realize that being Te-inferior doesn't mean you are stupid, illogical, or dogmatic, but plenty-o-folks are guilty of acting like that's what it means. Frustrating.

    Plus, I don't see myself as nearly compassionate or empathic enough to be a "feeler", lol.

    I also felt this way when I was mistyped at 6--HOLY SHIT, all the life-defining problems in my life are tangential issues, and I have a whole host of problems I didn't know about??? I was mistyped for that one, though. Not likely for xNFP.

    So yeah...I'm probably taking that too seriously. I also don't really have a life right now, so that's part of it--no way to change the subject or get it off my mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    I have experienced on various forums individuals REALLY taking this stuff to heart to the point that they are biased though try to hide it to appear politically correct- but they very clearly create boundaries for themselves and "like" types and exlude "outsiders" and very much create an "us vs. them" mentality. Women stalking men of a certain type- certain it is the salvation to their loneliness and desperation for love. Men feeding off the type tests to inflate their ego saying, "Yes. I am this number and this combo of letters and I'm this and I'm that- therefore, I fucking rock!" I had to walk away from this stuff but then I get pulled back in. I guess it's like anything. Too much of any good thing starts to stink. Moderation is key. And when did we forget that we are all individual people defined by a myriad of things like our birth, our family, our experiences SO MUCH. Just because you might take information in via "sensing" and use Fe when you interact with people --- so? It's really stupid. And we ALL use ALL the functions. I guess I got into a loop of people in various networking groups and forums that very much have made it "cult like" as another person called it. Great description. I feel like a lack of sense of identity perpetuates this. And I'm sort of getting sick of it. Sorry if this was sort of a VENT. I hope we can carry on in this topic. I think it's a "reality check" type of thing.
    I agree with this, and this is one of those things that actually helps bystanders like me take the theories to an unreasonable degree.

    My own issues with personality theory aside, I don't really understand why folks sometimes resort to explaining EVERYTHING in terms of these two theories. Those who have also studied it, have informed me that mainstream human psychology likely provides a better explanation for us being what we are.

  10. #20
    Senior Member AzulEyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Despite the fact that I find this annoying, I've been guilty of it.

    This is about right:


    I was kind of insulted to find out that I was
    a) not a Ti-user
    b) a thinking-function inferior

    Current theories basically dismiss my propensities to finding out "how things work", tinkering with broken equipment, figuring out machines easily, defining and categorizing, and loving statistics, which is frustrating. And I realize that being Te-inferior doesn't mean you are stupid, illogical, or dogmatic, but plenty-o-folks are guilty of acting like that's what it means. Frustrating.

    Plus, I don't see myself as nearly compassionate or empathic enough to be a "feeler", lol.

    I also felt this way when I was mistyped at 6--HOLY SHIT, all the life-defining problems in my life are tangential issues, and I have a whole host of problems I didn't know about??? I was mistyped for that one, though. Not likely for xNFP.

    So yeah...I'm probably taking that too seriously. I also don't really have a life right now, so that's part of it--no way to change the subject or get it off my mind.


    I agree with this, and this is one of those things that actually helps bystanders like me take the theories to an unreasonable degree.

    My own issues with personality theory aside, I don't really understand why folks sometimes resort to explaining EVERYTHING in terms of these two theories. Those who have also studied it, have informed me that mainstream human psychology likely provides a better explanation for us being what we are.
    Thanks for accepting my vent and responding to it. I do appreciate it.
    It's a great thing. We just cannot create boundaries over this stuff. We all are capable of utilizing all the functions. It's about preference. It makes life more interesting and productive when we all are a bit different. But let's not get too caught up into this stuff, people!
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

    ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Similar Threads

  1. Daydreamers: What is your daydream identity?
    By Fluffywolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
  2. When you read your type profile
    By murkrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
  3. [ISTJ] How old were you when you had your first serious girlfriend/boyfriend?
    By Saslou in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 02:59 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 05:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO