• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are we born with our personality types or do we aquire them?

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I started to question this when I was reflecting my childhood memories. Because while I have similar traits with my former self, I am still much different.
As a child, I already was a clear INxx. I was rather reserved and quiet, I never used to run, jump, or make too much noise, I liked reading books( and yes, I learned to read at the age of 4) , playing chess( and yes, I could do that as well) , drawing and playing with LEGO( well, not a real LEGO, it was too expensive in my country, just a cheap Chinese analogue) , when we had guests, they even asked my parents if they really had a child because it was so quiet( and I was too shy to run to the guests). I also was very dreamy, good at learning patterns and applying them( I guess that was the reason I learned to read at the age of 4, started learning English at the same age, and by the age of 5 I could count to 100 without a hitch and could easily add, substract, multiply and divide) , also was very tech savvy for that age. However, if we speak about the last 2 letters, I would question them, because at my childhood I have shown both T and F, P and J signs. When I went to school, I was what they call a child - prodigy. I was good at literally every class. At the 1st grade I already knew what they learned at 3rd grade, I easily did all the math sums, I already could read while others were only learning, I also was one of the best drawers in class( ironcally, my handwriting was terrible though) , I was also best at English( I guess it' s no wonder becuase I started it at the age of 4) , I was also good at acting even though I got only minor roles( among my classmates I was unfortunate enough to be the unfavourite for the class master) , I was the one who got least complaints about their acting during the play repetitions. To me the scene was like a field of self - expression. I even use the acting skill I aquired in my childhood now to fake emotions when I need to lie to get something I need( at least, I wasn' t accused in being false even once when acting/ lying) . As you see, I was good at math & logic, which indicates a T personality, but I also was good at acting and drawing, which are mostly F traits. I also had shown both T and F traits in other aspects of life. I had already shown the signs of manipulativeness, and though I didn' t fully understand what I was doing, I already knew what to do to make my parents give me sweets. Also, like I said, I was the unfavourite for my teacher( at that time I didn' t know this, but now I realise) . Most kids were ESxx, and I guess she thought it would' ve been better if I was the same instead of being the " white raven" of the class. Besides, in my earlier childhood I didn' t attend kindergarden very often because of weak health, which led to me being naive, socially unaccustomed, overly sensitive, righteous and helpful( which are F traits. I liked helping people a lot. I also thought people like when they are being helped. It revealed that in huge doses it gives the reverse effect and people start to dislike you . So, when I went to school these two features combined made me the teacher' s unfavourite. I remember that in the 1st grade every week the one who had more good marks was awarded with a Mickey Mouse sticker. So, if I had equal results with someone else, she always gave the sticker to another person, so in order to get it, I had to be even better than others. Also, when I argued with other kids, it was not uncommon for her to side with them and yell at me in front of all the class. In these cases, since I was bad at controlling emotions at that time, I often cried. However, it always wasn' t like that. At first I felt guilty to think that my teacher was doing this to me, but harder she was on me, the more my guilt passed and I came to realise that I was right. Even my ISTJ mother, who usually respects people who have more authority, and with whom we don' t agree often, supported me in this. I started to avoid my classmates and teacher on breaks in order to reduce the conflict. I also didn' t approve my schoolwork if it was less than perfect( that' s when I got the perfectionist trait) , because I knew my class master would find even the most minor detail in order to lowen my marks. This lasted for 3 years until in the 4th grade our class master has changed. The new teacher was much nicer to me, she taught me a lot, and it was she who gave me faith in my abilities. I can say the 4th grade was one of the best years I spent in school. Unfortunately, in the 5th grade she left and took a younger class. Also, like many teenagers, I started to have a teenage crisis, and also some things in my life influenced me deeply( I can' t say which, it' s too personal) . Why am I saying this? Because these are events that influenced me.
Now all my problems are gone, I got rid of the chaince society put me into, I have learned that I must not let others abuse me, and that I must never let myself be a victim. I have become more assertive and if I' m hurt, I won' t hesitate to protect myself. I know that morality is relative, and I don' t have to follow the rules of society. Instead I made my own morality code, and I have my own understanding of things. I learned to pursue my own goals no matter what, to stand up for myself and what I believe in. Sometimes I' m even grateful for those challenges life brought upon me, because they made me who I am now. But, let' s get back to the topic. When I compare my current self with my former self, I see that my former self was much more F. However, I' m pretty sure that I am a T by nature, since my primary instrument of world perception was thinking. Feeling is secondary. When I see something, I always have thoughts about it, but I do not always have feelings about it. It' s difficult to impress me, but if one succeeds in it, the feeling of being impressed will be overwhelming inside my mind, even though I may not always show it. I am a clear T, I don' t let feelings take control of me, and I' m totally comfortable with this kind of mindset. No one enforced this personality on me, I am who I am. So, what I' m trying to ask is that can one' s MBTI type change through life? Or maybe it is natural for children to be feelier and more emotional than adults?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
(use the enter key, it helps)

In my experience kids are mostly born with personality and parents/nurture/experiences can influence somewhat.

I think the stronger preferences would hold out against modification.

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Just the thing is that parents didn' t enforce independence on me. Sometimes even my mom thinks it would' ve been better if I was " normal".
So you mean that INTJ is my born personality since it resisted modification?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
TLDR, but:

There havent been much studies about MBTI and heredity, but there have been a lot of them about big 5 and MBTI correlates pretty strongly with big 5. When you take identical twins who have been separated at birth and never got to know each others(to eliminate the effects of the surroundings and only look at effects of genes to personality), they have much higher chance to have similar traits(as defined by big 5) with each other than two random people, but they dont score the same every time. This suggests that genes has a big influence on personality, but does not dictate it completely, so the environment also has some effects(this same thing comes up with any sort of gene studies, let it be cancer risk or what ever). So its nature(genes) via nurture(environment), which means that the environment has an effect on which genes gets expressed, but its ultimately about genes.

What comes to personality changing over time, it has been shown repeatedly over time in multiple studies that there might be some small variation on personality(like someone might score slightly more extravert as an adult than as a child), but the variation is not big. That is when talked about people who havent had some major brain damage.

Since there havent been enough studies on MBTI about the subject of type changing over time, its impossible to say for sure, but the general idea is that type does not change, but one can develop more their opposite personality(for example T dom developing his F), so its more about the growth of personality than change of personality. Also since there isnt any 100% reliable test on MBTI type, as current life events, personal issues or stuff like depression can influence the result of the test. But the test cant be used to determine type anyways, its just a tool for hinting at a type that can be confirmed by the analyst and the person being analyzed. Also some situations can make a person to act differently during the course of life, but again MBTI isnt about behavior, but about preferences of cognition of the person.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's a link to a post I made in similar thread: Is MBTI type (or part of it) genetic? citing a couple of references that seem to indicate that type preferences are about 40% to 60% inherited.

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well, my Big 5 is RCOxI. My mom is most likely SCOEN( ISTJ by MBTI, but not really reserved since she is a lawyer, and has to be social) . I don' t know my dad since he left when I was very little, and most of the things I heard from my mom is that he was a lazy asshole who was only interested in sleeping with women( i know that she might be exggerating because it was a trauma for her, but still it' s all I know about him) , but from what I heard I could say he was an SLUEN. Sounds like genes didn' t work in tis case, I inherited 2 - 3 letters from my mom and 1 or totally none letter from my dad. So where did R, A and I come from?
Depression? I' m not depressed. I was a couple of years ago, but now I' m not. I' m perfectly fine. And even as a child, I don' t think I was an F. I might' ve been a borderline F, but my feeling never dominated. I just believed in an idea of applying my thinking abilities to help people. Also, is it common for a T child to cry?

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I believe it's signficantly genetic but not necessarily hereditary (i.e. your personality is partly or mostly wired from birth but may not be the same as your parents or siblings).

While it is not unheard of for a bunch of siblings to be like peas in a pod, neither is it particulary strange for siblings to have completely different personalities. I would expect sibling similarity to be much more common if personality was strongly environmental and/or hereditary.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think that much of what people call personality, is heredity. I think that nurture makes up 99% of who we are, including traits like dominance or being controlling. We are mostly all products of early adaptations to the environment. se 'They F*** You Up' by Oliver James. He describes identical twins who have very different personalities. If genes created personality, then these twins would have the same personality, but they do not.

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well, the thing is that no one nurtured my personality. In fact, in some aspects I' m the very opposite of what my mom wants me to be.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
All I can say is that anyone who knew me as a child, does not recognise me as an adult when it comes to my personality.

Standuble

We are born with higher levels of neural development in some parts of the brain compared to others. This gives rise to certain patterns which become a matrix which we call personality. In many ways it is nurture but areas with a higher potential for use are much more likely to fall into patterns which make greater use of them.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
We are born with higher levels of neural development in some parts of the brain compared to others. This gives rise to certain patterns which become a matrix which we call personality. In many ways it is nurture but areas with a higher potential for use are much more likely to fall into patterns which make greater use of them.

We are born with proto-brains, but most of the brain's higher functioning is formed after you are born.
We are born primarily with the ability to adapt to the environment, not with high level functionality, like 'personality'. Every behavior that is formed in the first three years will necessarily seem as if it is innate, since you cannot remember a world without it.

Last edited:

chaoticbrain

MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Personality is something that changes over time, but I'd say the functions are something were born with.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are INTJ, then you would've been a Ni child and your preference for Feeling or Thinking would not have been very developed yet. INTJs seem to often report being warmer or more sensitive as children and then getting more "T-ish" around age 10 or so, when their preference for Te becomes stronger. I saw this with some INTJ relatives also.

A lot of what you describe is not F/T related at all anyway. Helping people is not F or T. Being good at math or art is not type related, although people may gravitate towards certain fields which let them be who they prefer, as opposed to challenging their ego. I was good at math & art too - I gravitated to art because it suits my mentality better, including the kind of environments I work in.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you are INTJ, then you would've been a Ni child and your preference for Feeling or Thinking would not have been very developed yet. INTJs seem to often report being warmer or more sensitive as children and then getting more "T-ish" around age 10 or so, when their preference for Te becomes stronger. I saw this with some INTJ relatives also.

I've heard of this phenomenon as well. I was a really Ne child, but I started developing a preference for Fi around 10 or 11.

FWIW, my ESFJ bestie's fraternal twin is most likely ESFJ as well (only other possibility I'd consider for her is ESTJ).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To answer the title question, I tend to believe that genetics provides you with a "likely range" of types (eg, you're 80% likely to be an I, etc.), and environment influences that likelihood either agonistically or antagonistically. So if you grow up under conditions where you are encouraged to be reflective and introspective, or if you grow up under conditions where there is little influence on your extraversion/introversion, you and your 80% genetic introversion will more than likely result in you turning out an introvert. But perhaps in the rare case that your parents really encouraged you to attend to external stimuli and be in constant interaction with your environment from day 1, perhaps you would turn out a weak extravert.

However, to respond to the OP, I don't think that what you're commenting on is really demonstrating T vs. F. Children's brains are different developmentally, and emotional nuance and emotional control tend to lag a bit in comparison with cognitive skill. Interpersonal skill also may lag a lot, especially depending on how instructive your parents were about relations with other people and how often you were in group scenarios that required cooperation. I think it's clear from your overall description of your childhood that you've always preferred to use Thinking.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, my Big 5 is RCOxI. My mom is most likely SCOEN( ISTJ by MBTI, but not really reserved since she is a lawyer, and has to be social) . I don' t know my dad since he left when I was very little, and most of the things I heard from my mom is that he was a lazy asshole who was only interested in sleeping with women( i know that she might be exggerating because it was a trauma for her, but still it' s all I know about him) , but from what I heard I could say he was an SLUEN. Sounds like genes didn' t work in tis case, I inherited 2 - 3 letters from my mom and 1 or totally none letter from my dad. So where did R, A and I come from?
Depression? I' m not depressed. I was a couple of years ago, but now I' m not. I' m perfectly fine. And even as a child, I don' t think I was an F. I might' ve been a borderline F, but my feeling never dominated. I just believed in an idea of applying my thinking abilities to help people. Also, is it common for a T child to cry?

Genes dont work like you are assuming(that you would just inherit your parents type).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

I dont think that it goes like this. I can see all TiNeSiFe in me since always. Naturally i have learned to use all of the functions better as i aged, but i still had all of them.

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
To answer the title question, I tend to believe that genetics provides you with a "likely range" of types (eg, you're 80% likely to be an I, etc.), and environment influences that likelihood either agonistically or antagonistically. So if you grow up under conditions where you are encouraged to be reflective and introspective, or if you grow up under conditions where there is little influence on your extraversion/introversion, you and your 80% genetic introversion will more than likely result in you turning out an introvert. But perhaps in the rare case that your parents really encouraged you to attend to external stimuli and be in constant interaction with your environment from day 1, perhaps you would turn out a weak extravert.
The thing is that all my family are Sensors, and they encouraged me to be a Sensor, but I still remained Intuitive. My grandma also was a Feeler( ESFJ, and what is strang it was her who taught me math before school, she was an accountant before retirement) and encouraged me to be more feely and extroverted. Yet I am a an I, and a T( probably my mom, because she' s generally more assertive than grandma) .

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The thing is that all my family are Sensors, and they encouraged me to be a Sensor, but I still remained Intuitive. My grandma also was a Feeler( ESFJ, and what is strang it was her who taught me math before school, she was an accountant before retirement) and encouraged me to be more feely and extroverted. Yet I am a an I, and a T( probably my mom, because she' s generally more assertive than grandma) .

Sure, but it's extraordinarily, extraordinarily unlikely (to the point of I consider it impossible) that there's a single gene that codes for S or N, though maybe there is a vast, vast array of genes for which certain combinations of alleles can yield S-like or N-like thinking patterns. While you would have inherited those alleles from your parents, there's no telling what sorts of combinations showed up in you which haven't shown up in generations. Hence S children in families of Ns and N children in families of Ss.