User Tag List

First 123 Last

We are born with higher levels of neural development in some parts of the brain compared to others. This gives rise to certain patterns which become a matrix which we call personality. In many ways it is nurture but areas with a higher potential for use are much more likely to fall into patterns which make greater use of them.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    We are born with higher levels of neural development in some parts of the brain compared to others. This gives rise to certain patterns which become a matrix which we call personality. In many ways it is nurture but areas with a higher potential for use are much more likely to fall into patterns which make greater use of them.
    We are born with proto-brains, but most of the brain's higher functioning is formed after you are born.
    We are born primarily with the ability to adapt to the environment, not with high level functionality, like 'personality'. Every behavior that is formed in the first three years will necessarily seem as if it is innate, since you cannot remember a world without it.
    Last edited by Stanton Moore; 10-30-2013 at 03:36 PM.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    6 sx

Personality is something that changes over time, but I'd say the functions are something were born with.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

If you are INTJ, then you would've been a Ni child and your preference for Feeling or Thinking would not have been very developed yet. INTJs seem to often report being warmer or more sensitive as children and then getting more "T-ish" around age 10 or so, when their preference for Te becomes stronger. I saw this with some INTJ relatives also.

A lot of what you describe is not F/T related at all anyway. Helping people is not F or T. Being good at math or art is not type related, although people may gravitate towards certain fields which let them be who they prefer, as opposed to challenging their ego. I was good at math & art too - I gravitated to art because it suits my mentality better, including the kind of environments I work in.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    If you are INTJ, then you would've been a Ni child and your preference for Feeling or Thinking would not have been very developed yet. INTJs seem to often report being warmer or more sensitive as children and then getting more "T-ish" around age 10 or so, when their preference for Te becomes stronger. I saw this with some INTJ relatives also.
    I've heard of this phenomenon as well. I was a really Ne child, but I started developing a preference for Fi around 10 or 11.

FWIW, my ESFJ bestie's fraternal twin is most likely ESFJ as well (only other possibility I'd consider for her is ESTJ).
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

To answer the title question, I tend to believe that genetics provides you with a "likely range" of types (eg, you're 80% likely to be an I, etc.), and environment influences that likelihood either agonistically or antagonistically. So if you grow up under conditions where you are encouraged to be reflective and introspective, or if you grow up under conditions where there is little influence on your extraversion/introversion, you and your 80% genetic introversion will more than likely result in you turning out an introvert. But perhaps in the rare case that your parents really encouraged you to attend to external stimuli and be in constant interaction with your environment from day 1, perhaps you would turn out a weak extravert.

However, to respond to the OP, I don't think that what you're commenting on is really demonstrating T vs. F. Children's brains are different developmentally, and emotional nuance and emotional control tend to lag a bit in comparison with cognitive skill. Interpersonal skill also may lag a lot, especially depending on how instructive your parents were about relations with other people and how often you were in group scenarios that required cooperation. I think it's clear from your overall description of your childhood that you've always preferred to use Thinking.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    Well, my Big 5 is RCOxI. My mom is most likely SCOEN( ISTJ by MBTI, but not really reserved since she is a lawyer, and has to be social) . I don' t know my dad since he left when I was very little, and most of the things I heard from my mom is that he was a lazy asshole who was only interested in sleeping with women( i know that she might be exggerating because it was a trauma for her, but still it' s all I know about him) , but from what I heard I could say he was an SLUEN. Sounds like genes didn' t work in tis case, I inherited 2 - 3 letters from my mom and 1 or totally none letter from my dad. So where did R, A and I come from?
    Depression? I' m not depressed. I was a couple of years ago, but now I' m not. I' m perfectly fine. And even as a child, I don' t think I was an F. I might' ve been a borderline F, but my feeling never dominated. I just believed in an idea of applying my thinking abilities to help people. Also, is it common for a T child to cry?
    Genes dont work like you are assuming(that you would just inherit your parents type).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I dont think that it goes like this. I can see all TiNeSiFe in me since always. Naturally i have learned to use all of the functions better as i aged, but i still had all of them.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    To answer the title question, I tend to believe that genetics provides you with a "likely range" of types (eg, you're 80% likely to be an I, etc.), and environment influences that likelihood either agonistically or antagonistically. So if you grow up under conditions where you are encouraged to be reflective and introspective, or if you grow up under conditions where there is little influence on your extraversion/introversion, you and your 80% genetic introversion will more than likely result in you turning out an introvert. But perhaps in the rare case that your parents really encouraged you to attend to external stimuli and be in constant interaction with your environment from day 1, perhaps you would turn out a weak extravert.
    The thing is that all my family are Sensors, and they encouraged me to be a Sensor, but I still remained Intuitive. My grandma also was a Feeler( ESFJ, and what is strang it was her who taught me math before school, she was an accountant before retirement) and encouraged me to be more feely and extroverted. Yet I am a an I, and a T( probably my mom, because she' s generally more assertive than grandma) .

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    The thing is that all my family are Sensors, and they encouraged me to be a Sensor, but I still remained Intuitive. My grandma also was a Feeler( ESFJ, and what is strang it was her who taught me math before school, she was an accountant before retirement) and encouraged me to be more feely and extroverted. Yet I am a an I, and a T( probably my mom, because she' s generally more assertive than grandma) .
    Sure, but it's extraordinarily, extraordinarily unlikely (to the point of I consider it impossible) that there's a single gene that codes for S or N, though maybe there is a vast, vast array of genes for which certain combinations of alleles can yield S-like or N-like thinking patterns. While you would have inherited those alleles from your parents, there's no telling what sorts of combinations showed up in you which haven't shown up in generations. Hence S children in families of Ns and N children in families of Ss.