User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Default INFP, ISFP, ENFP. differences? similarities? (4w5)

hi. lately i've been thinking a lot about what MBTI-type i am, i've always thought myself to be INFP, but something has got me thinking. a close friend told me that i'm probably either INFP, ISFP or ENFP. i'm very, very sure about my Enneagram-type. but i'd just like to know, what are some key differences and similarities between these three MBTI-types? anything specific for 4w5? and if any, do i give off any vibes? feel free to ask questions too.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    hi. lately i've been thinking a lot about what MBTI-type i am, i've always thought myself to be INFP, but something has got me thinking. a close friend told me that i'm probably either INFP, ISFP or ENFP. i'm very, very sure about my Enneagram-type. but i'd just like to know, what are some key differences and similarities between these three MBTI-types? anything specific for 4w5? and if any, do i give off any vibes? feel free to ask questions too.
    I would say look at your life as a whole vs particular instances, that would be one thing. Also, I would determine whether you are for sure a Fi dom or not, that will narrow it down to IXFP. I would make a video of yourself answering questions that you didn't write- these ones work ok- http://cognitivetype.boards.net/thre...g-instructions, but not read the questions first so you can see how you respond in real time. Then I would read up on cognitive functions and try to see what ones you notice in your video the most. These descriptions are short and easy to grasp, so they're a good introduction: http://www.bestfittype.com/Models/FunctionsOfType.cfm

I was thinking maybe I was an INFJ, then I did this and watched myself. My video was essentially one big long Fi rant, with Ne rambling and losing train of thought mixed into it. I think this method can really help if you're an introvert because introverts have a tendency to view reality so subjectively that sometimes it can be difficult to see what you actually do.

I think this video does a great job of showing the difference between INFP and INFJ:

If you feel like it, it's especially good to watch the entire video that they got these excerpts from because then you can really see the difference in the types in detail. Mulligan stays composed, Garfield rambles and forgets what the question was, etc.

@Stansmith is an ISFP so he could maybe give you some good info about that type.

Stansmith

The way I realized I was Se>Ne was after noticing that I take things at face-value (Se) first, and then look for intrinsic patterns (Ni) within the context if it's of any interest to me. Ne users look at an object and can immediately connect it to some external pattern. Tertiary Ni is more subjective and strange, while Auxiliary/Dominant Ne is a bit more surface-y and whimsical.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

thanks for the help you two. just realized i'm actually ISFP.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

It sounds to me like you may be the latest in a long line of victims of bad cognitive functions analysis.

If 4w5 really makes sense as your Enneagram best-fit (and you say you're "very, very sure" about that), I'd say INF is very likely and ISF is unlikely.

Based on a quick browse of your TC posts, you sound like a Limbic INFP to me (although my P lean isn't that strong), and you'll find a little info on what it means to be "Limbic" in the next linked post.

Feel free to ignore this suggestion, but I'd be curious to see your results — including the percentage scores — on the two tests I link to in this post (which include the official "Step I" MBTI).

Also, in case they're of any use to you, the next spoiler has online profile roundups for the four IF types — although I really don't think you're an S.

If your test results seem to narrow you down to, say, two likeliest possibilities, a possible way to give prospective type-me contributors more information to go on is to read through some profiles of those types and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction — but, if you're going to take those linked tests and post your results, you may want to do that first and wait to get some more feedback on those before you decide which profiles it makes sense to be reading.

Returning to the cognitive functions issue, and FYI: The MBTI dichotomies, which substantially line up with four of the Big Five personality dimensions, now have decades of studies in support of their validity and reliability, while the "cognitive functions" — which James Reynierse, in the article linked below, refers to as a "category mistake" — have barely been studied. And the reason they've barely been studied is that, unlike the dichotomies, they've never been taken seriously by any significant number of academic psychologists. Going all the way back to 1985, the MBTI Manual described or referred to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 MBTI studies and, as I understand it, not one of the many study-based correlations reported in the manual were framed in terms of the functions. And many more dichotomy-based studies have been done in the years since. The third edition of the MBTI Manual was published in 1998 and, as Reynierse notes in the linked article, it cited a grand total of eight studies involving "type dynamics" (i.e., the functions model) — which Reynierse summarizes as "six studies that failed, one with a questionable interpretation, and one where contradictory evidence was offered as support."

If you want a long (but worthwhile, if I do say so myself ) explanation for why I'm a "dichotomies guy" — including more background on the place of the functions in the MBTI's history — you'll find it in this long INTJforum post.

Links in INTJforum posts don't work if you're not a member, so here are replacements for the two links in that post:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    The way I realized I was Se>Ne was after noticing that I take things at face-value (Se) first, and then look for intrinsic patterns (Ni) within the context if it's of any interest to me. Ne users look at an object and can immediately connect it to some external pattern. Tertiary Ni is more subjective and strange, while Auxiliary/Dominant Ne is a bit more surface-y and whimsical.
    If (s)he's a 4w5, he's going to relate to the "subjective and strange" regardless. My guess is INFP.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    It sounds to me like you may be the latest in a long line of victims of bad cognitive functions analysis.

If 4w5 really makes sense as your Enneagram best-fit (and you say you're "very, very sure" about that), I'd say INF is very likely and ISF is unlikely.
    Curious: what do you think of 4w3 ISF?
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Stansmith

ISFP 4s are common. Tertiary Ni works perfectly fine with the idea of fourness.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I consistently type as INFP in the four dichotomies, but seek experience like an ENFP or xSFP. I am also way too sensing to be an Si inferior, and if I were in an Fi/Si loop I would not be so obviously Pe and experiential. I had an ENTP on another forum give me an eerie description of my flaws based on generalities of ISFP function order. Some one I was very close to also insisted I seem ISFP rather than ENFP (apparently have similar persona in some cases).

In PTypes I also fit ISFP cyclothymic ambivert Exuberant type best, and think a lot of my interest in the occult and bizarre ideas about things are probably wonky tertiary Ni.

I also don't have as much of an airy quality, in the way I communicate. I certainly don't think I am the Keirsey ideal of "diplomacy" either, though SFPs are kind, they lack the natural diplomacy of NFs.

So I went with Fi supported by sensing, and SEE-Fi Gamma in Socionics.

That's just me. Oh and I think I guide others with tangible experience rather than introducing random possibilities...that would be Beebe's difference between the Se and Ne aux.

I wonder what reckful thinks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Curious: what do you think of 4w3 ISF?
    I'm not an Enneagram expert (or fan), but my understanding is that E5 is basically INT country and E4 is basically INF country. FWIW, here are three websites I've bookmarked with respect to MBTI-Enneagram correlations:

9types.com
    breakoutofthebox.com
    personalityjunkie.com

I guess it's fair to say that, if an ISF was a 4, I'd consider a 4w3 less unlikely than a 4w5, but that's not saying much.

If you're talking about yourself, and if you're one of those people who's an INF based on the dichotomies but an ISF based on "cognitive functions analysis," then, if you read my linked INTJforum post, I assume you realize I'd say you're probably an INF 4w3 rather than an ISF 4w3.