User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    @reckful, by "MBTI", I am referring to the method of using the four letter code as designators for the cognitive functions one uses, rather than the MBTI theory per se. I am aware that Myers-Briggs has more to it than the mere functions, but it is the most common term that people on forums such as these use to mean "the cognitive functions". Perhaps I should have said JCF, CFs, or function theory. But it doesn't matter.

So, function-based typology vs purely dichotomy-based typology. For instance, one may gather information from the environment by primarily focusing on the five senses (Se), yet still be, in Keirsian terms, rather speculative at times, or prize themselves in having a vivid imagination, because these are not mutually exclusive. Thus they may test as an N on such tests. Both are correct in their own terms, but one result doesn't always necessitate the other will be the same. Of course, there will be a fairly strong correlation between the two.
    If, by "function-based typology," you're talking about the functions descriptions and model used by, e.g., Thomson, Berens, Nardi and Quenk — i.e., the functions as most often described and discussed on internet forums — then my issue with your post wasn't a functions-vs.-dichotomies issue. You said "Bob Dylan could be described as an MBTI ISFP (Fi + Se) and a Keirsey INFP," and that's no less incorrect under the Thomson/Berens/Nardi/Quenk functions model than it is under a more dichotomy-centric MBTI perspective — because Thomson, Berens, Nardi and Quenk all (for better or worse) agree with Myers that the people who come out ISFP based on the MBTI dichotomies have Fi as their dominant function and Se as their auxiliary function. And, in fact, Berens specifically makes use of Keirsey's temperaments and, not surprisingly, matches Fi-Se types to Keirsey's SPs and Fi-Ne types to Keirsey's NFs.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I was summoned.

I'm an ISFP 4w5. How can I help?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I was summoned.

I'm an ISFP 4w5. How can I help?
    uhmm well.... i dunno, tell me about yourself? sorry i'm really bad at coming up with questions.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    @reckful: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3321340/results.PNG and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/results2.PNG

i'm very much an amateur when it comes to MBTI, i've always prefered Enneagram. INFP just confuses me cause i'm not that good at abstract thinking, which i guess is common for INFP's, to be good at abstract thinking? i mean i'm not very rational, i'm a feeler, i have a tendency to express myself abstractly (and be really imaginative), but when it comes to understanding others, i'd prefer if they could stay concrete, and i have a pretty hard time learning in school because of it, and i have noticed it, i take a lot of things very literally compared to others. i learn differently but i can't really grasp it. i have been diagnosed with Asperger's, i guess INFP and Asperger's can mix even though it's not that common. i'm not good at symbolism or finding "hidden meanings" unless i'm really into it, like a poem i really like. i have a tendency to just like some things, while not being able to explain why at all. too abstract.

it's always confused me too cause, i'm not THAT introverted, when answering for these kind of tests i choose "reserved", "quiet"-options etc cause i'm shy. when i get to know people i can be overly talkative and not at all introverted. dominant Fi though, definitely. at the end of the day i guess i'm an introvert. another close friend told me i'm probably more Si than Se.
    I'm not all that quiet either, to be honest. I used to be. But as I've gotten older, I've become a lot more outgoing and talkative. I have a preference to stay in my own bubble at home, but when I am out and about, I easily go up to others and start conversation. I think it's my SO instinct.

INFP/ISFP differences:

They can definitely be hard to distinguish. I would say that ISFP's are much more action oriented than INFP's. And much more spontaneous. Being 4w5, both are reflective and idealistic. But the ISFP has more of a tendency to try and live out an ideal, rather than to talk about it. There are differences even between ISFP's. For example, my roommate is also an ISFP. She felt such a strong urge to follow her heart, that she took off in the middle of the night, leaving her job without notice and her apartment and family all behind. She hopped on a train, and traveled the US Jack Kerouac style. She made money playing music for pocket change. Now, I'm not that bold and tend to prefer my comforts, but I can easily understand where she is coming from and have had similar urges. However, I used to date an INFP, and one of the things we fought about quite often, was his lack of spontaneity and my abundance of it. His tertiary Si made him want to plan out all trips and adventures. It was cute when he decided to plan to have a spontaneous day with me. ha. I don't think he caught the irony.
    Other differences: I think ISFP's tend to speak more from experience than INFP's. Also: Ne often bothers me. My INFP ex often spoke of synchronicity and connections. I like to play around with those types of ideas, but I like more concrete, empirical data. I like symbolism, especially when speaking on dreams, or poetry, art and stories. But not when it comes to daily activities.

The Se/Ni vs Ne/Si differences seems to be that of convergent thinking vs. divergent thinking. Se/Ni is convergent: Se gathers data, here, there and everywhere in a random way, then brings it together to form meaning. Divergent thinking uses Si to have a data set, then uses Ne to randomly shoot off in different directions to create meaning/understanding.

I never had that moment of questioning whether or not I was INFP or ISFP. From a very young age, I've always been very attuned to aesthetics and art. Se was always very obvious for me. I would hyper focus on sensory details that most others would pass by. I was a hands on learner. Ni didn't really begin to develop until I was a little bit older.
    -John Green

Stansmith

@IndyAnnaJoan

I like symbolism, especially when speaking on dreams, or poetry, art and stories. But not when it comes to daily activities.
    Can you give an example of how he did this?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

But the ISFP has more of a tendency to try and live out an ideal, rather than to talk about it.
    Agree now, but I didn't used to be like this much. Still is a challenge to get into action on many parts of life that most people I know take for granted.

There are differences even between ISFP's. For example, my roommate is also an ISFP. She felt such a strong urge to follow her heart, that she took off in the middle of the night, leaving her job without notice and her apartment and family all behind. She hopped on a train, and traveled the US Jack Kerouac style. She made money playing music for pocket change.
    I'd have left a notice.

However, I used to date an INFP, and one of the things we fought about quite often, was his lack of spontaneity and my abundance of it. His tertiary Si made him want to plan out all trips and adventures. It was cute when he decided to plan to have a spontaneous day with me. ha. I don't think he caught the irony.
    I'm in between. In my spare time, I am apt to rigidly plan to go to [location] at [time] to do [thing], but rarely pencil in any more advance detail than that because I enjoy figuring out how to accomplish a mission when it's too late to turn back. I'm always on some "mission" or another that might sound odd to a partner if I took them out with me, but I have been alone for a while now and it has bothered me minimally. Sometimes my objective is just to explore/experience an environment as an aesthetic end in itself. I have also been known to plan "spontaneous days" with a spiritual or mental health intention in mind.

Other differences: I think ISFP's tend to speak more from experience than INFP's. Also: Ne often bothers me. My INFP ex often spoke of synchronicity and connections. I like to play around with those types of ideas, but I like more concrete, empirical data. I like symbolism, especially when speaking on dreams, or poetry, art and stories. But not when it comes to daily activities.
    Within, I am symbolic over the small things, but that's not the face I confront the world with. It's just a given that it's not as coherent outside as it is inside my mind. Empirical data is essential for me. To draw conclusions without it seems like a waste of time, although I hold some irrational tenants anyway.

I never had that moment of questioning whether or not I was INFP or ISFP. From a very young age, I've always been very attuned to aesthetics and art. Se was always very obvious for me. I would hyper focus on sensory details that most others would pass by. I was a hands on learner. Ni didn't really begin to develop until I was a little bit older.
    Lucky. I have typed as N-dominant before to explain Fi and Ni as my clearest functions, and I have been in touch with Ni for longer, before even Se. The neurotic dom-tert temptation has always been strong with me.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

brainheart

However, I used to date an INFP, and one of the things we fought about quite often, was his lack of spontaneity and my abundance of it. His tertiary Si made him want to plan out all trips and adventures. It was cute when he decided to plan to have a spontaneous day with me. ha. I don't think he caught the irony.
    I am so not a planner. But I would agree that in comparison to an ISFP an INFP will seem so. I think ISFPs are more adaptable to other people's plans than INFPs are. I think we're more likely to have an idea in our head as to how we would like the day to be (although we might not make any real concrete plans) so if someone out of the blue suggests something we might drag our feet a bit.

The Se/Ni vs Ne/Si differences seems to be that of convergent thinking vs. divergent thinking. Se/Ni is convergent: Se gathers data, here, there and everywhere in a random way, then brings it together to form meaning. Divergent thinking uses Si to have a data set, then uses Ne to randomly shoot off in different directions to create meaning/understanding.
    Sort of. However, INFPs auxiliary function is also an extroverted perceiving one. I think we're more likely to gather present information via Ne, think about our Si data, then bounce back to Ne to see if the pattern fits. It's more of a ping pong action than a direct line. Kind of "it's like this, it was like this, it could be like this, what if it was like this?"

INFPs are also very attuned to aesthetics and art. We can also hyper focus on sensory details. We can also be hands on learners. Se and Ne are both extroverted perceiving functions. In this way we are both empiricists. Ne just takes that sensory info and then imbues it with meaning/notices connections that aren't concretely there. For the INFP, extroverted perception operates as more of a springboard than a destination.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    INFPs are also very attuned to aesthetics and art. We can also hyper focus on sensory details. We can also be hands on learners. Se and Ne are both extroverted perceiving functions. In this way we are both empiricists. Ne just takes that sensory info and then imbues it with meaning/notices connections that aren't concretely there. For the INFP, extroverted perception operates as more of a springboard than a destination.
    As an explanatory difference, I mean I hyper focus on sensory detail and take pleasure in shapes and texture and color, without requiring thinking any deeper on it. Merely appreciating the fluidity of an object/art.
    -John Green