• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does it really mean to be Fi-dom?

S

Stansmith

Are your values always set? Are you always conscious of them? Have they always been moral or altruistic? Have you ever lost sight of them while indulging in your Pe function? How often are they triggered in your day-to-day life?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From my perspective it looks like everything just gets filtered through fi first and ne begins to churn it around when needed... Then a lil bit of si
For infp anyway

Where as an enfp ne just takes things in and bounces them around in the lil be funhouse... For fun for as long as it wants... And only uses fi when a decision needs to be made. It's like okay kids calm down and then the parent aspect comes in tells you what to do and how you really feel about it etc sometimes they remind you of things in the past or something they read or heard etc and then sweet lil soft hearted mom takes action or makes statements and if people don't pay attention to her then your no nonsense dad aspect comes in and lays it out in a very clear decisive voice that won't be misunderstood or ignored. Then the kids go back to playing. Haha

Okay that makes me sound crazy and wasn't about fi doms much shit.

Sec ill ask the infp.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay he said that you have all of these idealistic expectations of the world and of people and are constantly let down and disappointed in reality and that's why infps are so depressed all the time.

Well that sucks.

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]

So essentially, IFPs are selective, as well as judgmental towards the information received by the perceiving function, while EFPs go along with the flow of it, so to speak.

EFP - ooo, shiny!

IFP - Its shiny, but it's not as shiny as it should be.

Are your values always set? Are you always conscious of them? Have they always been moral or altruistic? Have you ever lost sight of them while indulging in your Pe function? How often are they triggered in your day-to-day life?

I'm not sure if my values are always set. Like, I used to think I was anti-death penalty until I realized that I'm not actually sure about my position on that issue.
I'm definitely not always conscious about my values; I usually can't articulate them off the top of my head. It's much easier for me to express what they are when they've actually been triggered by a particular situation.
I think my values are generally moral and altruistic but I'm a moderately self-serving person to say the truth. I try my best not to step on other people's toes while serving my own agenda though. I'm not powered by any sort of universal love of man or expectations of what humanity should be like or anything; I'm touched more by ordinary, everyday things, I guess.

I don't think indulging in Pe makes me lose sight of my values. It might lead to transgressions of those values if taken too far, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be conscious that I was stepping out of line.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]

So essentially, IFPs are selective, as well as judgmental towards the information received by the perceiving function, while EFPs go along with the flow of it, so to speak.

EFP - ooo, shiny!

IFP - Its shiny, but it's not as shiny as it should be.

Um no not really that at all. I wasn't very clear sorry.

All I can really do here is contrast what I see as the difference.

I would even say that my values as fi aux seem more rigid than his.

He seems way more sensitive because everything gets filtered through the self and personalized first. I can hear the words and let them linger in idea land and then filter through fi to get to the essence.

I can also say things I don't mean or put my foot in my mouth or say stupid shit a whole lot more if I just spit them out immediately before processing it. Which I often do. I do it all the time in here. I'm sorry.

But... Oooh look shiny? That feels wrong. But maybe it's right. I'm constantly being driven towards stimulation. Constantly ( or often) residing" out there. "

Infps on the other hand seem to be constantly living "in there. " deep dark in the woods with magical lovely tragic things and its very dark and twisty and maniacal.

I'm just going to stop sorry. I'm not explaining anything right. Ill think first and come back.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
it means you gonna be a coke ass ni*** smokin hooka out the anus of a dead cat.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Okay he said that you have all of these idealistic expectations of the world and of people and are constantly let down and disappointed in reality and that's why infps are so depressed all the time.

Well that sucks.

It can, but at the same time they are only victims of their expectations. Not that I am trying to pick on INFP's here, but that particular explanation demonstrates a rather naive approach to the world; you have to impose and act in some way, not just expect.

Having said that, though, I quite like that idealism because sometimes it can be just the right fuel to change an aspect of the world.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

And that's why ISFP's are cynical

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION]

From what I've gathered, Fi - dom means: the person experiences things emotionally.

Example:

An ISFP's headlight on their car goes out, in the rain, and there's no store open to buy a new one. It's an emotional experience.

Everything is an emotional experience.

Words have more meaning to Fi doms. (There are actual emotions attached to words.)

Experiences have more feelings involved to Fi doms.(Just like when an Si-dom tastes brocolli...they either experience the sensory taste as how they subjectively remember it or not. It either tastes like they remember or tastes different this time, maybe even less favorable)

Example:

If you say the word ignorant(insert any word that attacks a value) to an Fi-dom (whether you're calling them that, or just simply saying that word) they're going to have an emotional reaction to it.

They have a subjective definition of what that word means. Which if they don't like it, it triggers negative emotion, if they don't mind it, they don't notice, and carry on with convo.

If you mention a name of a person they don't like they may have an emotional reaction.

Most of the time they will try to hide this reaction though, hence the word introverted feeling.

They feel the feeling of negative emotion because it's not fitting into what their subjective world has defined as moral, good, just, positive, favorable, etc...

This is why [MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] looks like a psychopath to them. (lol)

He uses words that have meaning like the word ni*** as used above.

W

WALMART

So people know Fi types are tortured souls? I don't have to contain myself as to the things I feel are wrong with them?

(Diagnostically, of course)

R

RDF

The Fi-Dom thread is turning maudlin. A good time to quote a classic:

life is very pain
a poem by man

LIFE IS FULL OF PAIN
as i sit
trap in box

MANY MANS FEEL THE PAIN
of not be as manly as me

i sympathize, for i
once was trap in box
worry about not be as
MANLY AS MYSELF

this is pain of life
womyn have LUCK
for they dont feel this pain

unless they transgender
man trap in woman body
THE HORROR

life is very pain

:cry:

Standuble

This is a question not easily answered in part because being an Fi-dom means a great many things. It would take a near lifetime to explain it and map out the various nuances for an observer. I also don't resonate with the descriptions mentioned above.

Addendum: It turned into quite the wall of text. What this means to me? That's hard to articulate. Read at your own peril. I put a tl;dr version at the bottom.

I will mention a few points however:

1) An Fi-dom is never static. Fi values are in perpetual motion. Fi at its greatest efficiency is when it is translating the self into a language that can be detected via introversion and consciously understood by the individual. However a person is always changing. There is variance in stimuli from one second to the next, there is variance in the chemical composition of an individual from one second to the next and there is variance in health from one second to the next. The notion that people do not change is an illusion. These changes will influence "the self" and Fi must detect these changes and respond accordingly. If it does not then it would not take long for the Fi to become irrelevant - it would be providing feedback for a state of mind which no longer exists. The good thing about it is that the key for it to be relevant is that you don't concentrate too much about it. It will work away on its own and if not under pressure it has the time to make the calculations. I myself am aware of this process within the confines of introspection and I am (when not under stress) happy to let it work away and to feel an inner world in motion. I would think inner peace would occur when the system has collapsed and I do not know myself any more.

2) Fi is a gargantuan machine; it is a huge winding and twisting matrix and a system of pure order. An Fi user may convince themselves that their values do not change but this is because they are observing them as a whole. There are many remnants in the system - old values which no longer are valued but have not been consciously identified as such even though they have been consciously observed. For example I may have a sentimental love for a television show I watched in my childhood. However I do not value it any more and only when I find the time to stop and mentally explore its nature I realise I do not love it and the sentiment has merely prevented me from realising I do not. In time remnants are rooted out and functionality is improved - until time creates more remnants. I would think that many "rigid values" Fi-doms spout and staunchly defend are remnants which they have yet to throw away.

3) This INFP is very comfortable with exploring his inner world. There are many unpleasant things in the psyche and in the self and I am happy facing them. However I (and others I would presume) are at the mercy of emotions. They are known quantities but despite this they can still overwhelm. The emotions of the moment can be used as tools for the sake of creativity (perhaps this is more enneagram related however) but emotions and sentiment are very much the anti-thesis of Fi (this is one of the frustrations when people equate Feeling with emotion.) It takes discipline to listen to Fi over rampaging, strong emotions and often this does not occur if Fi does not value discipline in that moment (heh it screws itself.) It should be noted however that the self is rooted in emotional desires. For the Fi user this tends to be via synthesis of two dialectical pairs. In this case the assimilation of new emotional motivators by the Fi to act as new roots. It occurs sometimes within a second and other times over the course of months or years.

4) Fi-doms are remembered as whiners and complainers when things don't go as they wanted. Part of this is inferior Te but half of this is value invalidation. As mentioned in points 1 and 2 values are rendered obsolete all the time. Sometimes entire value systems are rendered obsolete in a second. The problem is most of the time values are invalidated and dismissed without any complaint from the Fi user. The likelihood of complaints or frustration occurs when a value they weren't comfortable with letting go of becomes invalidated and the invalidation of an entire value system carries this as a big risk due to increased probability. These are the only ones the observer knows about and thus many of the criticisms made are made out of ignorance.

5) Altruism is not a requirement for Fi. It is often the result of one not realising how many values are at risk when they take an impulsive action and/or not realising that a "selfless" act is something their ego is benefiting from. Integrity is wired heavily up to the perpetual motion of values. Standards of integrity for the person will change as the values do unless it is built out of remnants.

6) Pe feeds into Fi as if it were something being fed into a machine. You never lose sight of Fi, you merely turn part of your attention away from introspecting for a while.

7) It is constant because it is multi-faceted. Different facets show themselves in different quantities at different times but it is all there at all times.

8) Possibly unrelated - Much of the system's connections are built around fuzzy logic. It is common for it to have an interest in symbolism (that is ascribing a meaning to an object which is known to have no such meaning outside the self), to see or think in "colours" (not concretely however) and to see visually. I myself utilise imagination visually and when using Fi to create a story I work it as if it were a holodeck from Star Trek. I rewind it and fast forward adding and taking things away until I find creative perfection.

tl;dr version

1) Values are changing because Fi-doms can't afford to have an outdated system as a compass.
2) Some things the Fi-dom values are no longer valued at all. They just haven't been determined as such.
3) Fi isn't about emotions but it isn't beyond using them or making in the moment emotions part of its fundamental reasons for doing something.
4) Fi-doms give up a lot without complaint despite what others may believe.
5) Content can change. Fi values can conceivably be anti-human or sociopathic in extreme cases. Many "noble virtues" may run counter to the welfare of an Fi-dom.
6) Pe (in my case Ne) acts only as a mere vacation of sorts but otherwise serves the need of Fi. It creates new ideas to be assessed for worth and allows intuitive leaps to navigate the inner world.
7) It is always there in some capacity or another.
8) It is not a hard, cold system. I would even say it resembles a planet - it has a solid core and a gaseous exterior which is kept in check but allowed freedom.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Fi doms... interesting people. critical people. people who blame others for their own feelings, sometimes. ...Actually, I have no true idea, but (I think) I am friends/roommates with one.

I was eating dinner with my INFP buddy and we overheard some guys talking. I was sort of lost in thought so I didn't pay too much attention whereas she was all "...I hate people who talk loudly because that means I have to judge them..." and I was all ".....okay. You can judge them if you want to... they can't hear you ...xD" ...But I can understand her dilemma; she doesn't want to judge people, but she feels she has no other option.

She gets angry whenever she sees vegan products and blames those who perpetuate this issue by being all "OH-HEY-LET'S-BE-HEALTHTARDS!"

She can (supposedly, but I'll take her word for it) see who a person really is in the first few meetings (she'll give them a chance, but she is always proven right, I guess).

And she tells me all the time that she knows she's the shit and complains about others being horrible people.

...she makes her opinions/feelings pretty much known to me; nothing particularly secretive/mysterious about her. Just the average, judgmental person.

S

Stansmith

Fi doms... interesting people. critical people. people who blame others for their own feelings, sometimes. ...Actually, I have no true idea, but (I think) I am friends/roommates with one.

I was eating dinner with my INFP buddy and we overheard some guys talking. I was sort of lost in thought so I didn't pay too much attention whereas she was all "...I hate people who talk loudly because that means I have to judge them..." and I was all ".....okay. You can judge them if you want to... they can't hear you ...xD" ...But I can understand her dilemma; she doesn't want to judge people, but she feels she has no other option.

She gets angry whenever she sees vegan products and blames those who perpetuate this issue by being all "OH-HEY-LET'S-BE-HEALTHTARDS!"

She can (supposedly, but I'll take her word for it) see who a person really is in the first few meetings (she'll give them a chance, but she is always proven right, I guess).

And she tells me all the time that she knows she's the shit and complains about others being horrible people.

...she makes her opinions/feelings pretty much known to me; nothing particularly secretive/mysterious about her. Just the average, judgmental person.

Try EFP cp6.