• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Locus of Control

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Queendom.com: Tests, Tests, Tests and more Tests, The biggest testing center in the world with personality, intelligence, relationship, career and mental health related tests.

Snapshot Report
Success Orientation

You have a fairly internal attribution style when it comes to success. You tend to interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality etc., rarely attributing it to external forces. As a result, you are able to accept the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Snapshot Report
Success Orientation

You have a fairly internal attribution style when it comes to success. Mostly, you interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality etc. although you might think it takes a bit of luck as well. As a result, you are usually able to accept the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
You have a fairly internal attribution style when it comes to success. You tend to interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality etc., rarely attributing it to external forces. As a result, you are able to accept the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Success Orientation: 78

You have a fairly internal attribution style when it comes to success. Mostly, you interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality etc. although you might think it takes a bit of luck as well. As a result, you are usually able to accept the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My wife often talks about "locus of control". Mine seems to be pretty external, while hers is internal. Since the APS test she uses has an area called "Control" (from the FIRO system), we wondered if that might be connected. But it doesn't seem like it.

What just occurred to me is that it might be tied to perception. After all, it is where you perceive control over your life originates. So she's an SJ. Si=internal perception; hence internal locus of control. I'm an NP=Ne, external perception; external locus of control.

But I see here that there is one of those online tests for it, that INTP's are generally coming out with higher internal locus. (Some, "takes a bit of luck as well"). Have to ttry this one when I get a chance.
So what function would you think is tied in with locus of control; if it is related to type at all?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i once heard a pretty famous strength coach (for like olympic athletes) say that he noticed a high correlation between people who just HAD to listen to music WHILE they worked out and having externally motivated personalities. ...then again, hes no psychologist....and he really was just answering a question about if he lets his athletes listen to music when working out.

NOTE: not the same thing as saying extroverts are externally motivated personalities. not the same thing as saying anyone who occasionally listens to music when they work out is some sort of extrovertedly motivated person.

I can definitely say that after working out with music for about a year, and then no music for about 6 months...i like no music (much better focus, and i really dont NEED the music to motivate me).

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I find it hard to link locus of control to specific types, eventhough I can understand some types to be more prone to one form or another.
Locus of control is, I believe, not a talent, though, it is an attitude and an attitude that can be taken by anyone who wants to. It does take quite some dicipline, though...
My reference point for locus of control is Stephen Covey's discussion of the circle of influence.