User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do Intuitives have trouble sticking to routines?

This continues to be an issue for me, as an INFJ, but I don't know if it is just me or not. I just can't seem to be able to get myself to get fixed to a routine. It could have more to do with my personality than it does to being INFJ, but I'm curious to see if it generally is true that other Ni-doms find it hard to stick to a routine, day after day, than say Sensing types... I've read stories of people who have superhuman discipline to get up at a certain time each day and do a certain task at a certain time for a specific number of hours... I long to be able to do that. I read a book about the daily rituals that artists and other creative people have had, and there were many writers and philosophers who were able to stick to a rigid schedule without too great discomfort. So that might say that it's particular to me and not to all Intuitives. What do you think?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I definitely have routines. I think we all do. It adds stability to our lives.

One example is that I sleep in on Saturdays and Sundays. I also make it a point to not work on the weekends, which I'm successful with 95% of the time. When I'm working out of town, I have a large bowl of fruit, yogurt and orange juice for breakfast every morning. Every morning, I have a cup of tea to wake myself up. I have my favorite radio stations in the car. I have my favorite restaurant that I like to go to. I check the Forum at the end of the day every day (almost).

On the other hand, on the non-routine side, I don't ever get up at the same time every day and if you ask me to stick to that kind of routine it is seemingly impossible for me to do (though I would still like to). I might work out in the evenings X number of times a week but but sometimes it might be at 7, sometimes 8 and sometimes 8:30. I don't eat lunch at the same time every day nor dinner. Sometimes I'll semi-skip lunch or dinner. I don't ever do the same thing at the same time on a day to day basis.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Phantonym

Are you talking about work routine where you get up at the same time every morning, work all day, and finish at the same time? Or do you just want to get into a routine where you'd get things done and be more productive every day?

Can't speak for all intuitives, but I absolutely hate routine that I feel is imposed on me. Even when I'm putting pressure on myself to follow a strict daily routine to get something done, it does not feel natural to me. Doing the same thing day in, day out...when I feel that I'm not in control of setting said routine...then that is something I can't keep up for very long.

However, when I do feel in control, when it feels good to get things done...then that's fantastic. Usually I make weekly to-do-lists, and that really helps me to keep going. It's not a rigid time-frame, I can choose what I feel like doing at a particular moment, I can even postpone things that are not urgent, I can switch things around and work all night and sleep all day, but as long as I feel that I'm doing something on that list and progressing towards completion...that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't ever do the same thing at the same time on a day to day basis.
    Well said, I completely agree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I do certain things the same way every time I do them (established habits), but don't stick to a repeatable time schedule.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm not good with time schedules, even though I like them and I often feel better when I have them externally enforced via work or school, etc. When my kids were little I sometimes used PBS children's programming to give some structure to our day. Now I sleep when my husband sleeps most days unless I've got something going on during the day, then I pick the kids up from school and come home and cook. After that I putter until I get sleepy. Friday is date and grocery shopping day. That's mostly it. It's not a very good routine. I'd do better with a little more structure, I think.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jackitty View Post
    This continues to be an issue for me, as an INFJ, but I don't know if it is just me or not. I just can't seem to be able to get myself to get fixed to a routine. It could have more to do with my personality than it does to being INFJ, but I'm curious to see if it generally is true that other Ni-doms find it hard to stick to a routine, day after day, than say Sensing types... I've read stories of people who have superhuman discipline to get up at a certain time each day and do a certain task at a certain time for a specific number of hours... I long to be able to do that. I read a book about the daily rituals that artists and other creative people have had, and there were many writers and philosophers who were able to stick to a rigid schedule without too great discomfort. So that might say that it's particular to me and not to all Intuitives. What do you think?
    Yes, I have trouble, I need an assistant to implement those things in my life. I have no use for crap like that and then I pay the price when life hits me in the face. Normally I have the most problems with caring about Si crap.

I like to clean and I can keep things neat, but I usually can't force myself to pick my stuff up immediately or follow through immediately. I just clean when I can. Or I call a person back when I have made a plan to. I don't do stuff out of habit like that though. I wish I did.

For me, crap like routines is all about momentum. I forget to eat sometimes cause I am so focused on whatever I'm doing.

It's been affecting me more lately than ever though, so if you find out how to impliment some routine let me know!
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Mmm. I usually "like" routines because they allow me to be "tranquil" and know how my day will pan out and thus other people will also be able to rely on me about being there at X or Y time of the day. That said, I only stick to them when my outside world is sufficiently predictable, otherwise they're useless.

Usually, if possible, I start working early (especially during the summer with longer days), then have a very quick lunch, go to the gym or do outside sports at midday, then back to working until 5.30-6, then grocery shopping and dinner.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Everyone has habits, although they tend to be less fixed in case of intuitives.

Put them in a rigid corporate setting and they usually have a permanent itch.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

To echo what @highlander said, I do have some areas of my day to day life that could be considered routine, but it's usually a work element that demands it.

As a rule I am generally bad with schedule and specific routine. I can do similar things for a while, but they always eventually taper off.

I don't really enjoy or see the point in a rigidly structured life, it seems constricting and removes the beautiful vitality I experience in going with the flow.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Well, I sure have trouble, but I am the stereotype of the Ne-using Perceiver.

About the only rituals I have are showering and brushing my teeth, and if you give me a day without an external structure, I'm liable to spend it drifting through ether.

I would hesitate to speculate on all other Ntuitives, though.