• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne-users; to what extent do you notice body language?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh this is interesting; I think I am very aware of this, but it is on a very unconscious and intuitive level. When trying to consciously assess what I perceive, I can get mixed up.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't necessarily notice minor details in body language, but I observe / feel / have an intuition about the person in theri current state of mind. It's the vibe that [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] mentions about. But I cannot tell you how s/he (who I'm observing) did move his/her arm, finger or toe. But I can tell you for sure what was his/her mood and my general impression of the person as a whole. I can also see the "core" of most people because I don't necessarilly pay attention of what they are actually saying or pretending to be rather than reading between the lines (trying to fiture out what they are really trying to say) and getting the general vibes/feelings etc. about the person. What I do the most is see if everything match in that person, meaning if some thing in them didn't match the overall picture. Like if she tells she is happy and I can sense that she is not or if she seems to be nice and something in her tells you that she actually hates you. Or something like that. So, making a broader picture of the person and just not noticing the body language as it is and as a only detail I can see.

So, I do naturally "people analysing" and I can tell you pretty quickly if something is wrong. I usually have no idea why but I can pretty soon sense/feel/get the vibes that something is not matching and something might be wrong or differently than what they present of themselves and their situation.

baccheion

Most people misread my body language, and that's if I'm even giving off anything more than noise, so I've lost faith in that approach. That said, I do notice body language from time to time (if it's more extreme). I imagine feelers would notice this more than thinkers.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ne-user here. I am more or less completely oblivious to this sort of thing (body language). My own and others.

I don't think I even look at people when I interact with them. I'm too self-absorbed, and if I notice anything in their physicality at all, I won't remember it. As to my own body language, I apparently have an "expressive" face, but don't actively affect this; and it wasn't until I got into the enneagram in great depth that I began to realize that emotions actually have physical sensations within my body.

I'm pretty moronic on this level, sorry. :)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can do it, but often, it takes conscious effort to do it. It's kind of cool... like mind-reading almost. It's complex and there are a lot of different shades to moods.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To the extent that I glean the strength of someone's psyche from it. How powerful or experienced or free they are. I pay much attention to the body. I even joke that I speak three languages: Body, Women, and English.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I suppose body language also has a lot to do with cultural context.

As a French (latine culture nonetheless), I tend to talk a lot with my hands, and add expressive gestures when I try to develop an argument. And since my body language is more unconscious than staged, it can usually give truer information about my current emotional state.

But on the other hand, I'd say that most of my face expressions are faked, or rather, not the result of my inner thoughts. It's not about hypocrisy, it's rather giving the people what they desire to see, especially smiles.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It feels mostly like I'm absorbing their emotional state... Or temperature checking if that makes sense. It's as tho the energy has a different weight and speed.

I don't know how much if any of that is perceived subconsciously through facial expression or not tho.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I do ok with facial expressions but not much else body language wise.

I rely more on vocal tone and word choice (or omission). It tells so much.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm still totally stressed out over the reincarnation thread (in where I saw a post from Lady X actually requesting an ENFP version I think haha...) and had to PM pinkgraffiti asking about it... But I'm just browsing the forum yesterday maybe lalala...and I come to this thread

where pink is claiming that it's like the most terrifying thing she's ever read or something... and I'm looking at it like...there is no way in fuck I'm going to be able to read that haha.

In a similar scenario Elfboy posts pages and pages of this stuff on Narcissism for e7 and then I believe quite a few days later asks idk had anyone read it or if there were any comments on the material...

and one of my favorite e7s of all time [MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION] posts something like 'No e7 is going to read all that.' haha.

My fiction novels are usually about a quarter the length of normal novels, and I don't like it when I have to type say, an 8-page research paper, becuase I feel like I've said everything that can be said…

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Nope it's always lost on me.

I'm always amazed when people say things like: "She's interested in you". Sounds like assumption based on nothing really.

Although there are some areas of body language that can be very revealing.

Of course there are also instinctive levels at which we understand one another. But that's more like vibes to me.