• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is INTJ overrepresented here, or are people getting it wrong?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I might agree about not taking pride on one's inherent attributes, but one can still appreciate their utility, convenience, or even beauty, however subjective these traits may be.

OK, you got me I can't really argue against one opinion being more true than another. :D

And you are right, appreciation of an inherent attribute is not something I can pick holes in, even if I possessed the skill to do so.

A

Anew Leaf

It seems like every other person on this website claims to be INTJ. Given it's only 1% of the population this cannot possibly be right, or is it? Maybe it's just overrepresented for some reason, but I have no idea why that is. It seems like everyone wants to be INTJ though, but rarely they are.

Secondary question: why aren't there many S's here? They are found everywhere in real life, but barely anyone here claims to be one.

It's not correct. Some of the ones on here are INFJ 5's and don't realize that tert-Ti plus 5 doesn't mean they are INTJ. Others are bookish ISTJs and therefore think they are INTJ. And still others are who the fuck knows what.

Why this is, a theory on pumpkins by Saturned:

#1: People read type descriptions and want to be things they are not. Or they don't know themselves, and as everyone desires to be the BEST, they pin the tail on this elusive donkey under the assumption that because something is this rare it must be the best. Without taking into account that there may be a very good evolutionary reason why they are so rare.

#2:
Typology is not actually complicated, but people want it to be.

#3: There are some qualities that INTJs as a whole tend to exhibit that others wish to emulate or have in their toolbox.

#4: People think if you are a cold, unfeeling bastard then you must be an INTJ since they are the poster child of this fantasy.

#5: People mistakenly think that INTJs make the best pudding. This is a lie.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I were to go to a Ren Faire, I'd dress as a lowly peasant suffering through the whole "serfdom" thing, unable to afford nothing but a few scraps of clothing. The aristocrats can keep their 10" tall collars and scratchy coats, thanks.
You could be a monk. Their attire was quite simple.

#1: People read type descriptions and want to be things they are not. Or they don't know themselves, and as everyone desires to be the BEST, they pin the tail on this elusive donkey under the assumption that because something is this rare it must be the best. Without taking into account that there may be a very good evolutionary reason why they are so rare.
But I thought INFJ was equally rare?

#5: People mistakenly think that INTJs make the best pudding. This is a lie.
Only because we have better things to do.

#4: People think if you are a cold, unfeeling bastard then you must be an INTJ since they are the poster child of this fantasy.
Yes. A real INTJ will be an effective cold, unfeeling bastard.

A

Anew Leaf

But I thought INFJ was equally rare?

They supposedly are as well. I sort of wonder if Ni-doms are rare because of evolution or because it's difficult to test for ni-doms or what have you. I am an INFJ magnet so I don't always buy that they are as rare as the websites want me to believe.

I also think some "INTJs" on here are INTPs. Leah/Kamishi was a good example.

Only because we have better things to do.

Yes *plumps pillow and brings you wine* you do.

Yes. A real INTJ will be an effective cold, unfeeling bastard.

Truth but I choose dare.

S

Society

What about the ENTP's? There's hardly any of them on this site. Let's see, there's me, @Mane, and @Magic Qwan (he just doesn't know it yet, but he's also ENTP), and that's about it.

huh? there's plenty of ENTPs here:
entropie
phobik
funky...something.
lunaluminosity
digestsickness
nerd girl
wind of thor
blackmail

it's only natural that at any given time only a few will be active: it's' not really uncommon for ENTPs to have on/off relationships with various social circles and activities... in fact fleeting interests is part of the stereotype... it's the norm.

so we are the exception.. and i already know what i am obsessing about enough to find merit in typology.. why are you?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
huh? there's plenty of ENTPs here:
entropie
phobik
funky...something.
lunaluminosity
digestsickness
nerd girl
wind of thor
blackmail

it's only natural that at any given time only a few will be active: it's' not really uncommon for ENTPs to have on/off relationships with various social circles and activities... in fact fleeting interests is part of the stereotype... it's the norm.

so we are the exception.. and i already know what i am obsessing about enough to find merit in typology.. why are you?

None of those people that you mentioned make regular posts though. They're almost never around.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
None of those people that you mentioned make regular posts though. They're almost never around.

They are around. Always. And even more. We just rotate since the forum can only handle so many at once ;)

Re: INTJs....... yeah there a lot more here than in the general population but it's not like an absurd amount. There are a lot of people, particularly other T-doms and ISTJs, who mistype as INTJ (as they don't understand the true Ni-dom nature of them), but I can't really think of anyone in particular here who is such a mistype.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh, I thought everyone wants to be an INTP because Einstein was apparently one. I don't know why someone would want to be INTJ to feel special. It's not like I'm adored by most people.

On socionics INTJ => INTp and there they describe INTp's as a plague. While INTP => INTj still ranks the most common tested personality.

It's difficult being one, in a touchy feely huggy world. I mean, just ask one to sell them selves... :)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
It didn't hurt INTJ "status" to be called "Mastermind".

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Scientist" works better for me.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well before I knew about MBTI, I strongly suspected I had Asperger's. Since a lot of the symptoms of INTJ overlaps with Asperger's. Especially since after watching the movie Adam (2009). After realising that it is just my type of personality, I found comfort and not as stressed out, about what other people think or demand of me any more. But learning about MBTI has helped me understanding other people better. I don't feel like an elitist or anything. I also don't know why some people (small group) place me on some kind of pedestal, which is usually followed by expecting me to perform miracles.

the world is a strange place.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Scientist" works better for me.
Same here, but I have seen reasonable arguments that it is a better fit for INTPs, who are more likely to pursue knowledge for its own sake. INTJs, the argument goes, would be better called "engineers", which implies a focus on applying knowledge in practical ways. On the other hand, there are plenty of INTJs among scientists by profession, and it is my INTP SO who is the engineer.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same here, but I have seen reasonable arguments that it is a better fit for INTPs, who are more likely to pursue knowledge for its own sake. INTJs, the argument goes, would be better called "engineers", which implies a focus on applying knowledge in practical ways. On the other hand, there are plenty of INTJs among scientists by profession, and it is my INTP SO who is the engineer.

yeah that makes sense, because I don't pursue knowledge for its own sake. I dabble with everything and engineers often have to keep things simple and stupid, while at the same time make it complicated in the background. I like those challenges, I guess this is where efficiency plugs in. Always a balancing act. I don't mind working with INTPs or any other personality, I like bringing everything together.

The problem for me by selling myself is, I can't tell them I have x y z, because everything is always on the fly, by the way type thing. Lets work out something custom for you. Lets understand the problem and adjust to what you need and make it run efficient for you.

Efficiency is a core part of me, and I guess keeping track of everything could consider me a "mastermind". Isn't a mastermind somebody that thinks far ahead into the future? Solve problems for when we eventually reach that stage? :D