User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 54

  1. #41
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    What!? Omg this response cracks me up!
    Maybe a little harsh, but I think people don't expect me to be harsh, and don't realize I have that within me.

    I do hate that kind of statement, though. If you're going to tell me I'm not relationship material, you might as well just do so rather than saying something nice-sounding that isn't actually true. These kinds of miscommunications are how wars get started. Seriously, it just makes me feel like I'm being talked down to.

    I don't feel any better than I would if they said "I don't see it working, sorry."' I feel worse, actually, because I'm a lot more angry. Am I supposed to believe that? We either go on another date or we don't. I don't need my ego boosted. Don't be an ass (and only one person has ever entered that territory) and I'll be fine. You don't need to sugarcoat it, because I can tell that's not real sugar.

    Every time a woman says "I'm not interested" without including the F word, I thank them. I find the F-word in these situations to be dishonest and disrespectful.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  2. #42
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Maybe a little harsh, but I think people don't expect me to be harsh, and don't realize I have that within me.

    I do hate that kind of statement, though. If you're going to tell me I'm not relationship material, you might as well just do so rather than saying something nice-sounding that isn't actually true. These kinds of miscommunications are how wars get started. Seriously, it just makes me feel like I'm being talked down to.

    I don't feel any better than I would if they said "I don't see it working, sorry."' I feel worse, actually, because I'm a lot more angry. Am I supposed to believe that? We either go on another date or we don't. I don't need my ego boosted. Don't be an ass (and only one person has ever entered that territory) and I'll be fine. You don't need to sugarcoat it, because I can tell that's not real sugar.

    Every time a woman says "I'm not interested" without including the F word, I thank them. I find the F-word in these situations to be dishonest and disrespectful.
    that's a whole lotta assumptions there tho. some people actually would mean that and by the way you wrote it sorta seemed like you did in a way...not necessarily like you wanted to be pals but you said she was nice and not doing anything wrong really?? right?

    so...when it's just a chemistry thing why is it bs to say hey...i'm not really feeling a ralationshipy vibe here...not that one would say it like that but you know what i mean.

    i think the point was that it's nicer to be upfront, honest and respectful than just oozing disinterest with a smile on your face.

  3. #43
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that's a whole lotta assumptions there tho. some people actually would mean that and by the way you wrote it sorta seemed like you did in a way...not necessarily like you wanted to be pals but you said she was nice and not doing anything wrong really?? right?

    It's the pals and friends thing that bothers me.

    Most guys hate hearing that. There are probably some super-progressive guys that at least say they don't mind (and maybe they don't... how would I know?), but the vast majority of us.... you didn't make us feel any better by doing that. I could start a poll on this, but I already know what the results would be.

    Which ties into my OP about how Fi can be awkward.


    I said something like.. "I don't see it working... I just don't think we're compatible. It wasn't any specific thing you said, it's just that I don't think it's going to work out. You seem like a good person, so I don't like having to say that. " That's not a white lie, it's the truth.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  4. #44
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    ^how is it different from what Lady X said (in meaning)?


    edit wow apparently it was PEACEBABY who said the initial suggestion. Sorry to you both for the mix-up.
    Last edited by gromit; 10-01-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  5. #45
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Yeah really? Haha you did do the same thing. It's an awkward conversation no doubt but so much better than going through the whole thing worrying about upsetting the other person.

  6. #46
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    I pretty much have zero experience with this tho. I'm still dating the first guy I ever went on a date with that I didn't already know super well beforehand.

  7. #47
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Lady X is already on my train of thought here, and makes great points.

    Some extra thoughts that pop to mind for me:

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I don't believe that... Why would I say that? Who does that make feel better? It doesn't make me feel better, and it probably doesn't make her feel better. uggh. The thought of those words coming out of my mouth disgusts me. Terrible advice. This thread is kind of disgusting me right now. What kind of a moron does that stuff even work on?

    (I'm open with my feelings here. Are either of us really any better off because I expressed them? Incidentally, this entire issue was why I didn't think this person was relationship material. )
    I've got no problem with you expressing your thoughts. And yes, I would say we are better off. If we don't discuss your reaction to my post, how can I best provide counsel and resolve a potential impasse between us? Yes, we are doing fine. It's called communicating.

    Plus, I grew up with an INTP brother - your judgments here don't startle me, you can be as Ti cranky as you like. If you imagine you're the only person in the world with these unfriendly, uncharitable thoughts against others though, think again.

    My advice is excellent advice IF you tailor it to your voice. I should have been explicit to say so. There was nothing in my suggestion that said, "Lie to her when expressing your truth." My sentence was mostly a paraphrase of the gist behind your very own words. Just put it back into your voice, with a dash at least of grace and gentlemanliness. I'm not saying be disingenuous in any way if that's not your desire.

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It's the pals and friends thing that bothers me.
    ok, so there's the hot button. As I said above, you use your own words ... I'm not saying you LIE to her if you don't want to be friends. Of course, you should ironically realize that saying you would like to be friends is no more a lie than you sitting there going through the motions on your date and expecting her to pretend she doesn't notice.

    You're a fascinating contradiction ... you want authenticity yet you duck and hide from the implications of authenticity, both in yourself and others. Authenticity does not come in only one form. Does recognizing it in others make you feel like you're not doing a very good job at it yourself?

    Most guys hate hearing that. There are probably some super-progressive guys that at least say they don't mind (and maybe they don't... how would I know?), but the vast majority of us.... you didn't make us feel any better by doing that. I could start a poll on this, but I already know what the results would be.
    I agree, you're right about that.

    Which ties into my OP about how Fi can be awkward.
    Sure, Fi can be awkward but no more awkward than any other human being attempting to communicate with another human being who doesn't share the same wiring trying to find common ground. Fi is awkward to you because you experience uncomfortable emotions when faced with it. YOU own those emotions. I don't. She doesn't. And that's ok. Ya, you find it icky, but it's normal. Just because you're an INTP doesn't mean you don't have to face the reality of what to do with your emotions, how to best process them and interpret them in your life.

    I said something like.. "I don't see it working... I just don't think we're compatible. It wasn't any specific thing you said, it's just that I don't think it's going to work out. You seem like a good person, so I don't like having to say that. " That's not a white lie, it's the truth.
    So there you go. When did you say this, after she asked you "What's wrong?" Or was this your texting?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  8. #48
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    Not speaking for all girls, but I think PB's approach is excellent:

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    You just say it like that. "You are intelligent and lovely and I appreciate the concern you have right now for me, but I think our date is leaning me towards us being friends rather than a couple. I'd like to enjoy the rest of our date as friends, but I understand if you'd like to cut it short."

    Then you be a gentleman, drive her home or whatever, and thank her for her time to get to know you a little better.

    You could even apologize for not helping the evening go smoother ...
    In response to the OP, this is going to sound very weird, so feel free to ignore it if you think I don't know what I'm talking about:

    It's not about being fake. It's about being on mutual grounds and respecting the other person as a fellow soul and not get stuck in all the pettiness. I mean no offense. I'm often stuck in the whole pettiness thing myself and if you don't know what I mean it's the endless train of thoughts and feelings that usually go like this "He said that so I'm so hurt and now this means this and now I should say this, but then what if he says that -- OMG it must mean that he secretly thinks that! Oh noes!". It's also being stuck on how much someone upsets you, or how much things don't go as planned -- you get what I mean with pettiness? When I can look at the big picture, I realize that it all boils down to my own insecurity somewhere, and when I see that it's liberating.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  9. #49
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    i find that discomfort, at least what i think what you mean, comes from not knowing how i feel and not clearly respecting the role feeling plays within myself. if i do, it is easier to be authentic in the relationship, because i'm aware of what's happening within myself. it makes it easier to relate, rather than feeling like i either have to control the other person or control myself (especially controlling the information that is present).

    as a 5, i know how invasive it feels to have someone see into you when you don't know what is there, because you're not at that moment super connected to what you yourself feel. it's kind of threatening, because the kind of ephemeral quality of feeling is made even more ephemeral when your mind is as wide open (and somewhat fixated on unpleasant things, on don't want) as an e5. that can be really cutting, or at least not in a very compassionate place a lot of the time. if it is, it's a lot easier to own disappointment and own one's own positive desires, because it has more vitality and energy to stand up to life and keep moving forward. this makes it easier to accept others and allow them to do the same, rather than leading you to get caught in a kind of worried, Fe projection game because that side of things is ungrounded to actual feeling and the realities of how feeling operates within our interiors (and Fe DOES have an interior quality, even if it focuses on a different kind of emotional information).

  10. #50
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I don't think it's really that type specific. I have had other Fe doms pressure me to open up to them because they craved the connection in some way (and not always in the name of social pragmatism). I was talking to an ENFJ friend of mine and the conversation went like this.

    Him: (talking about universal values and what people truly love and want out of life for like 40 minutes)
    Me: (zoning out for 2 minutes after that)
    Him: What are you thinking about?
    Me: I don't know.
    Him: You do know... You just don't want to tell me.
    Him: (launches into a 20 minute discussion about the importance of expressing yourself).
    Him: Do you know the value if your own thoughts?... What do you love?
    maybe not quite this bad, but, embarrassing as it is, i do this. it motivates me to actually talk at work and get a feel for others and where they are at. that it is in tension with another motivation, to test my ideas, is clear, but something i try to balance when i have the opportunity to have more grounded relationships with other people. i'm still working on my not-overstepping rules, or my consider so a little bit when your sx impatience to make something valuable for yourself sparks check point.

    the internet does feel like more of a writing game, to me. but that's probably because the experience of making someone happy in real life vs the internet is like the difference between having sex and trying to watch sex on a scrambled tv channel as a 14 year old. i think, wait, was that, no, yeah, was that a breast, or, no, is that... aww, fuck it. time for the tried and true imagination to kick in.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Is it too late?
    By rainoneventide in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 02:29 PM
  2. Fi is...
    By Amargith in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 08:23 AM
  3. Uhh...This is awkward.
    By ShadowPage in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM
  4. [Fi] Rosetta 2: Fi is self centered?
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO