• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Paths to wholeness, According to Personality Junkie

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ironically, your need to hold firm to your own theories seems to have caused you to feel the need to leave for 2-3 weeks.

No, it's because I feel like I don't really belong here. Lots of people here seem to be so negative about everything and it's like most people think way too much and an environment like this doesn't feel healthy to me. I don't want to get influenced by that when I'm supposed to study, I already feel like it's turning me more negative too. After my finals I'll be back to answer questions about ESFPs, but not much more. I belong in the real world and I guess I should just stay there.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
No, it's because I feel like I don't really belong here. Lots of people here seem to be so negative about everything and it's like most people think way too much and an environment like this doesn't feel healthy to me. I don't want to get influenced by that when I'm supposed to study, I already feel like it's turning me more negative too. After my finals I'll be back to answer questions about ESFPs, but not much more. I belong in the real world and I guess I should just stay there.

And I think your beliefs have been challenged, and you don't like it, and so you're calling it "people being negative".

Rather than have your beliefs challenged, thus forcing you to reexamine them, you'd rather run away in order to maintain them.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Well, this is one of the more amusing threads I've stumbled onto in a while.

What the guy at PersonalityJunkie — A.J. Drenth (who, FWIW, I don't consider a very good source) — says in the article quoted in the OP is not that the things described are "paths to wholeness." On the contrary, he says that the listed types are somewhat prone to be fooled by their inferior function into wrongly thinking those are their paths to wholeness, when in fact it's unhealthy for them to be focusing on those things.

Here's a more complete quote from the article:

Interesting.

Thanks for the addition.

I've talked with him before, and, while he's alright, I don't exactly consider him authoritative either.

I think there's truth to the idea that these are subconscious impulses we get from the inferior (they're not all perfectly stated, but you can see what he's trying to get at -- that the inferior sends us subconscious messages/impulses that we are not entirely aware of, or, at the least, that we do not understand them, do not understand why we are receiving them, and where they are coming from).

But the school of thought you seem to be saying he adopts is that the only thing we should do with the inferior is recognize the subconscious impulses it sends and not fall prey to them. Imo, that is only the beginning step: awareness. Awareness of how the inferior subconsciously seeps into our lives, drives, impulses, desires, and behaviors.

Many steps come after that, including assimilating and merging one's shadow (both tertiary and inferior) into one's consciousness, and many of the messages above are things that actually would be good for these different types to eventually achieve.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And I think your beliefs have been challenged, and you don't like it, and so you're calling it "people being negative".

Rather than have your beliefs challenged, thus forcing you to reexamine them, you'd rather run away in order to maintain them.

Hey hey, no need to draw conclusions, I am the psychologist here. It's not about beliefs, but it's about the way we think and the way we view the world. It seems to me that lots of people here tend to focus too much on the negative aspects of things and ignore what's good. Way to go if you want to be unhappy, but I'm not here to treat people as my clients, so there's little I'm going to do about it. Instead I'm leaving before I start thinking like that too.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Hey hey, no need to draw conclusions, I am the psychologist here.

If majoring in psychology makes you a psychologist, then I guess I might as well call myself a psychologist as well.

It's not about beliefs, but it's about the way we think and the way we view the world. It seems to me that lots of people here tend to focus too much on the negative aspects of things and ignore what's good. Way to go if you want to be unhappy, but I'm not here to treat people as my clients, so there's little I'm going to do about it. Instead I'm leaving before I start thinking like that too.

I just think it's telling that you came to this decision immediately after directly having your beliefs challenged.

I'm not one to defend the inherent sanity and healthiness of this place, by any means, but I still think I have you nailed dead to rights.

That, and, I don't think what you say is true of many of the people here. I know plenty of people on here who look at the positive side of things. In fact, I am one of them. I just think you're taking this specific recent case of having your beliefs challenged, and turning that into "these people are all so negative". It's a typical tactic an ESFP will use to maintain their current worldview, as opposed to reexamine their beliefs. (Also, it's probably about time you start looking into enneagram 7, over enneagram 2.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey hey, no need to draw conclusions, I am the psychologist here. It's not about beliefs, but it's about the way we think and the way we view the world. It seems to me that lots of people here tend to focus too much on the negative aspects of things and ignore what's good. Way to go if you want to be unhappy, but I'm not here to treat people as my clients, so there's little I'm going to do about it. Instead I'm leaving before I start thinking like that too.

People just tend to talk more about things that confuse or upset them. The current forum discussions do not define what the people here value or focus on in their daily lives. If you want to discuss something upbeat and positive with us then start a conversation like that.

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
Wholeness is a lie, because your eyes are merely a flash light that only captures glimpses of your own soul, but doing the opposite of what we are used to doing can bring a new perspective and be more empathetic towards those who have the opposite way of doing things than we do and why they do it in the first place.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wholeness is a lie, because your eyes are merely a flash light that only captures glimpses of your own soul, but doing the opposite of what we are used to doing can bring a new perspective and be more empathetic towards those who have the opposite way of doing things than we do and why they do it in the first place.

I like that. :goldstar:

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just think it's funny that you came to this decision immediately after directly having your beliefs challenged.

I considered leaving a few times earlier, for various reasons. Now I'm going on a break and after that I'll figure out what I'll do next. Plus, it's necessary, this shit is distracting me from studying.

O, and I don't really know what you're trying to prove here. We're talking about my feelings and values (Fi) here, while in the OP it was stated I wouldn't be whole without my theories (Ni). Maybe when I come back, you should try to challenge me about my believe in God and argue with me about it. If that makes me want to consider leaving again, then yes, the theory is right in my case. Or you could just retype me as an ExTJ. We'll see then.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I considered leaving a few times earlier, for various reasons. Now I'm going on a break and after that I'll figure out what I'll do next. Plus, it's necessary, this shit is distracting me from studying.

This place distracts lots of people, and lots of people leave for periods of time to focus on what they need to.

Go do your studies, and don't let this place distract you, but don't make excuses for why you don't want to be here, when those excuses are merely code word for you not liking having your beliefs challenged.

O, and I don't really know what you're trying to prove here. We're talking about my feelings and values (Fi) here, while in the OP it was stated I wouldn't be whole without my theories (Ni). Maybe when I come back, you should try to challenge me about my believe in God and argue with me about it. If that makes me want to consider leaving again, then yes, the theory is right in my case.

Where does the line cleanly get drawn between feelings, values, and theories?

I'd say you clearly have a theory about how society works, and what's wrong with it, and this whole Miley Cyrus thing is tied up in it.

That being said, yes, it is not only your Ni that is being challenged, but also your Fi.

Or you could just retype me as an ExTJ. We'll see then.

No, you're clearly an ESFP.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

There is darkness in this world…
Darkness and pain far beyond what anybody could possibly deserve, no matter what the've done.
The misery will consume your soul.
Our vile planet will wring any chance of joy or happiness from your being…

Please continue to pretend there is love on this Earth, once you become disillusioned, there is no going back…

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
There is darkness in this world…
Darkness and pain far beyond what anybody could possibly deserve, no matter what the've done.
The misery will consume your soul.
Our vile planet will wring any chance of joy or happiness from your being…

Please continue to pretend there is love on this Earth, once you become disillusioned, there is no going back…

Yeah. Uh...far out man

G

garbage

Well, this is one of the more amusing threads I've stumbled onto in a while.

What the guy at PersonalityJunkie — A.J. Drenth (who, FWIW, I don't consider a very good source) — says in the article quoted in the OP is not that the things described are "paths to wholeness." On the contrary, he says that the listed types are somewhat prone to be fooled by their inferior function into wrongly thinking those are their paths to wholeness, when in fact it's unhealthy for them to be focusing on those things.
Welp, this is more like it.

This sure as hell resonates more for me than the OP's interpretation does, if "inferior Ti" fits. I started out stubbornly independent and had to learn to accept help.

(There. Despite that I'm a single data point, this is true for me; and, therefore, this set of descriptions must also be true for everyone.)

edit: I agree that it's amusing, in that it's pretty much the opposite of the other interpretation.. which did ring true or otherwise sound accurate to most. :shrug: