• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Paths to wholeness, According to Personality Junkie

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ETJs: “Focusing on my personal feelings and values (Fi) will bring me wholeness.”

EFJs: “Becoming more logical and independent (Ti) will bring me wholeness.”

ITPs: “Securing love or public esteem (Fe) will bring me wholeness.”

IFPs: “Being responsible, pious, and/or organized (Te) will bring me wholeness.”

INJs: “Directly beautifying the material world or acquiring wealth (Se) will bring me wholeness.”

ISJs: “Producing clever ideas or theories (Ne) will bring me wholeness.”

ESPs: “Holding firm to my own theories (Ni) will bring me wholeness.”

ENPs: “Acting dutifully, according to past precedent (Si), will bring me wholeness.”

How accurate do you think this guy was?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Expecting people's needs for wholness according to their aspirational functions is pretty interesting idea. In theory, it shoudl really fit, but even though I can relate to some of IFP I mostly relate to EFJs in this one.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Working on inferior functions, or rather...those automated reactions we have towards certain triggers, is definitely a step forward in progress for an individual.

I'm not sure I would put it the way he does though. Besides I tend to see functions as the best description we have on something we don't yet fully grasp, definition always comes behind the object of that definition and to me that object is the lashing out an individual who hasn't understood or isn't understanding what REALLY made them do that.

Worst of all are those who don't want to understand. But that's why willful ignorance is a dangerous affliction to pour upon yourself.

Standuble

I think this guy has the right idea though I agree with [MENTION=18559]Polly[/MENTION] about cross-overs. I'm INFP and I feel inclined to develop Te for the reasons the source mentioned. However I am also inclined to develop Ti so if I were at any time to implement my Fi model on to the world I would do it with precision but also so it is consistent with what exists. For example I would be apprehensive at making the world "worse" through a model which destroys something I could find potentially valuable (e.g. a piece of key technology which relies on a network of logistics for production which aren't sufficiently ethical) by not stopping to understand properly how it works or stopping to understand that it is the only reasonable way for it to be constructed. In a nutshell having the ability to properly measure and take into account all the aspects of an idea or a construction rather than just applying the most efficient method possible.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think this guy has the right idea though I agree with [MENTION=18559]Polly[/MENTION] about cross-overs. I'm INFP and I feel inclined to develop Te for the reasons the source mentioned. However I am also inclined to develop Ti so if I were at any time to implement my Fi model on to the world I would do it with precision but also so it is consistent with what exists. For example I would be apprehensive at making the world "worse" through a model which destroys something I could find potentially valuable (e.g. a piece of key technology which relies on a network of logistics for production which aren't sufficiently ethical) by not stopping to understand properly how it works or stopping to understand that it is the only reasonable way for it to be constructed. In a nutshell having the ability to properly measure and take into account all the aspects of an idea or a construction rather than just applying the most efficient method possible.

that seems very understandable..

Mole

Permabanned
Integrity is integrating all the parts of our mind. Integrity is a never ending project because we are constantly learning new things which must be integrated into what we already know.

So learning new things requires us to rearrange everything we have learnt in the past.

This is such an onerous work, most of us prefer neurosis to integrity.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ETJs: “Focusing on my personal feelings and values (Fi) will bring me wholeness.”

I seem to observe those tendencies in the ETJs here, although I don't know any in life well enough to be able to comment.

As dopey as that sounds, yup.

IFPs: “Being responsible, pious, and/or organized (Te) will bring me wholeness.”

I have known IFPs well enough to say that this is indeed the case.

INJs: “Directly beautifying the material world or acquiring wealth (Se) will bring me wholeness.”

I think there's also an emphasize on physical fitness or health, also. That could relate to beautifying the material world.

Not sure, ESPs are riddles to me. I don't get the way they think at all.

Last edited:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm seem to observe those tendencies in the ETJs here, although I don't know any in life well enough to be able to comment.

As dopey as that sounds, yup.

I have known IFPs well enough to say that this is indeed the case.

I think there's also an emphasize on physical fitness or health, also. That could relate to beautifying the material world.

Not sure, ESPs are riddles to me. I don't get the way they think at all.

That was very insightful!

I like both the IFP and the INJ paths.

Capsaicin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
ISJs: “Producing clever ideas or theories (Ne) will bring me wholeness.”

Eh. The only clever ideas I get are in the kitchen, and they don't make me feel very good for very long. :shrug:

The driving force behind much of my work.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eh. The only clever ideas I get are in the kitchen, and they don't make me feel very good for very long. :shrug:

The driving force behind much of my work.

So deep down all you need is love?
Love?
Love?
Love is all you need?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Anyway, I can give you all the brotherly love you need.
:mexbanana:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The NFPs ones click with me.

Capsaicin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
So deep down all you need is love?
Love?
Love?
Love is all you need?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Anyway, I can give you all the brotherly love you need.
:mexbanana:

I'm curmudgeonly and have very little brotherly love, but you can eat some of my Ne-babies. There will be caramel banana bread soon.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think those sound ok, but i dont think that they will bring wholeness, for that you need much much more.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I'm pretty whole already. Two arms, two legs, two hands, two feet, ten fingers, ten toes, a head, two eyes, two ears, a nose, a mouth, a shitload of teeth, yada yada yada. Nope, there's not a single part of me missing and all of that without holding firm to my theories! Wow, who would've thought that was possible?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'm pretty whole already. Two arms, two legs, two hands, two feet, ten fingers, ten toes, a head, two eyes, two ears, a nose, a mouth, a shitload of teeth, yada yada yada. Nope, there's not a single part of me missing and all of that without holding firm to my theories! Wow, who would've thought that was possible?

That's interesting, so you are fine simply with what is?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's interesting, so you are fine simply with what is?

Why make life more complicated than it already is? Jeez, no wonder why so many people are depressed these days.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

You've only mentioned things that are immediately and directly visible and apparent (Se).

Nothing you've mentioned touches on psychological wholeness, which is not immediately and directly visible and apparent.

Why make life more complicated than it already is? Jeez, no wonder why so many people are depressed these days.

It's probably more accurate and realistic to argue that people are so depressed these days because they lack psychological wholeness, not because theories of psychological wholeness exist.

Ironically, your need to hold firm to your own theories seems to have caused you to feel the need to leave for 2-3 weeks.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Well, this is one of the more amusing threads I've stumbled onto in a while.

What the guy at PersonalityJunkie — A.J. Drenth (who, FWIW, I don't consider a very good source) — says in the article quoted in the OP is not that the things described are "paths to wholeness." On the contrary, he says that the listed types are somewhat prone to be fooled by their inferior function into wrongly thinking those are their paths to wholeness, when in fact it's unhealthy for them to be focusing on those things.

Here's a more complete quote from the article:

A.J. Drenth said:
[E]ach personality type has its own set of temptations that can lead to grip experiences. The following list describes some common "lies" or "temptations" of the inferior function:

ETJs: "Focusing on my personal feelings and values (Fi) will bring me wholeness."
EFJs: "Becoming more logical and independent (Ti) will bring me wholeness."
ITPs: "Securing love or public esteem (Fe) will bring me wholeness."
IFPs: "Being responsible, pious, and/or organized (Te) will bring me wholeness."
INJs: "Directly beautifying the material world or acquiring wealth (Se) will bring me wholeness."
ISJs: "Producing clever ideas or theories (Ne) will bring me wholeness."
ESPs: "Holding firm to my own theories (Ni) will bring me wholeness."
ENPs: "Acting dutifully, according to past precedent (Si), will bring me wholeness."

The temptations or traps of one personality type may be entirely innocuous and healthy for another type. Healthy functioning for an ISTJ, for instance, does include focusing on being responsible, rule-conscious (Te), and dutiful (Si). But as we've seen, focusing on these things cannot be considered healthy for NFPs. With this in mind, each type must take the steps necessary to avoid falling prey to its own set of temptations. The first step is simply becoming more aware of these lies and temptations, as well as the warning signs of falling into the grip. Carefully choosing our career and hobbies, as well as attending to how we are working or playing, is also important.