User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't get a lot of really alone time, but most of my household are introverts so we spend a lot time together leaving each other alone. Every week or two, I need to get out and go someplace by myself, get a soda, read a book just for a few hours. That is adequate for me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

15-20 at home. the rest is either at work, or tennis/piano practice. and about 3 times a week, out with friends.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

How much time do you have to spend alone? How frequently?
    As a grad student, most of my work is very independent. The 9-5 "grind" for me is being in the lab all day, with very little socialization with the 2 other people who work in the lab. This is not enough socialization for me and I need to call a friend when I get home and talk for about an hour.

However, when I worked a "real job," I found the constant extraversion - phone calls, drop-ins, idle chatter - exhausting by the end of the day and I wouldn't want to talk to anyone after that. I needed ~3 hours of "me" time
    then.

What does the required amount depend on?
    Depends on how much talking I did during the day.

What do you do when you are alone?
    Cook a refreshing and delicious meal, sit down and put my feet up, read my RSS feeds, catch up on a TV show I've missed, laundry, clean, pamper self, listen to music, read literature, play a game, let my mind wander a bit. Then my batteries are recharged and I'm ready for the next day!

Do you ever feel you have been alone too long?

Yup. Then I turn off my computer and go out for some fresh air and a walk.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Most of the day. 3-5 hours spent socializing is enough to wear me out.

^^Same as above. It depends on how much talking or interacting I did throughout the day.

Read, listen to music, play games, space out, think, daydream. The daydream part can and usually is accomplished while I am with people as well.

Alone in person, yes. To recover from this, though, I often go out among people alone, like a walk through the city or park. I will also seek out others to talk to, but this is not very often, especially if I've had to deal with people for work or school earlier in the day.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

Usually a few hours a day. It could be early morning, afternoon, and sometime evening. Doesn't really matter, I just sort of find it when it is available.

The amount of time since the last alone time. It also depends on the amount of stuff I have put off dealing with.

It doesn't really matter. I think the most consistent thing is to pop in a movie that I have already seen a few dozen times and either surf the net.

Not really. I wish I could be alone more often, but my family and my job don't really allow me this opportunity.

MBTI
    INFJ

I live with my parents and three siblings, and we all frequently have friends dropping in. Because of this, I have less alone time than I might otherwise. Still I spend at least two hours a day alone, when I can, which is most days. Sometimes it's a lot more. Sometimes it is a long stretch of alone time, more often it is broken up throughout the day a little.

How stressed I am and how much is on my mind.

Read, journal, listen to music, daydream, think, surf the internet, sleep.

Yeah, when I start brooding too much, or getting upset over little things. A talk on the phone, an outing with a friend, or even just a change of scene helps this.
    "There ain't no doubt in no one's mind that love's the finest thing around. Whisper something soft and kind." --James Taylor

MBTI
    INFJ

I spend 1-3 hours alone each day. My kids get up late if they're not at school, so I'm often alone in the morning. Like at Cafe's house, we're all introverts, so we spend time in different rooms with our own activities - reading, computer work, drawing, listening to music, laundry, cooking.

If I've had a very social day, I crave being alone. I'll change casual evening plans if I've done too much socializing during the day.

Read, muse, use the computer, walk, swim, visit the library, shop, cook, garden, clean. At night I read, listen to music or watch a dvd or TV show.

I have a family (2 kids, husband), so I'm rarely alone for more than a few hours. But if I've been sick or in the house due to bad weather for a couple of days, I yearn to be out among other people.
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 07-07-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Leysing View Post
    I'm not sure the answers to these questions, because I don't feel like I ever want to be alone. But I know I do require alone time, at the same time knowing that I wouldn't ever choose it if I had the option. I'd rather be with someone I love than be alone. There isn't anything that I don't want to share with somebody. But I know if what I am doing isn't being appreciated by the person I'm with, then I would rather be alone than be with someone who isn't enjoying themself.

Listen to music, watch videos, write, read, dink around on the internet, burp, eat, observe the surroundings, sometimes just sit and feel.

Yes, most of the time. I miss almost everybody I've ever shared any time with and I wish they were here. Just not all at once.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ

I spend an enormous amount of time in a day alone. If I can use percentage as a rough indication, it should be about 85% on an average per day. A question more suited for me should be 'How frequently do you hang out with anyone else in a week?'. I do sometimes chat with close friends on MSN, but I can barely recall the last time I hung out with them. I speak to my parents too, but the conversations normally don't last longer than 15 minutes.

I find myself spending more time alone when I have set specific goals for myself that I expect myself to achieve in a particular frame of time, like complete a piano piece in 1 1/2 months, or finish composing basslines for this song in a week, or learn 2 new recipes by sunday. Also, when I think I've had enough of being with other people, I 'recluse' to energise. The amount of time I require to fully recharge is infinite. It's only a matter of when I feel like sticking my tortoise head out again to chit chat a bit with the outside world.

For me, there's always something to do, more so when I'm alone than when I'm with other people. If I'm not watching documentaries, I'd be playing the piano or bass. Alternatively, you'll catch me picking up a new hobby, sewing, cooking, baking, gardening, drawing, etc. I can't really recall the last time I hung out with anyone else other than my boyfriend.

I don't think rehearsing with my bands counts. I rarely talk or say anything when we're not playing our instruments. So even if I'm at the jam sessions at a jam studio with them, I'm not really there. I only listen to what they say but most of the times, my mind has gone off somewhere else also.

In fact, I still feel that I need more 'me' time. I really love being alone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

moved to MBTI forum
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.