• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Your Face Symmetrical or Asymmetrical?

symmetric vs. asymmetric

• Total voters

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a poll to determine if there is a correlation between between facial symmetry and personality type.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think mine is really asymmetric, but people tell me it's not noticeable to them. People say it's the standard for objective beauty, so by that standard I should be ugly; but people tell me all the time I'm beautiful.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno. Probably not I feel. But not like dramatically asymmetrical.

I feel like at rest it is, but maybe the muscles are different strengths on each side? Like I can raise my right lip and eyebrow but not my left. So maybe that affects perceived symmetry?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
It has nothing to do with personality I supose. Often you can correct asymmetry with braces. Also people who are clinical depressive for a very long time can get asymmetrical faces. For example edgar allan poe.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
My face is slightly assymetrical.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It has nothing to do with personality I supose. Often you can correct asymmetry with braces. Also people who are clinical depressive for a very long time can get asymmetrical faces. For example edgar allan poe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_symmetry
"Facial symmetry is one specific measure of bodily asymmetry. Along with traits such as averageness and youthfulness it influences judgements of aesthetic traits of physical attractiveness and beauty. It is also associated with health and genetic fitness. Facial symmetry has been suggested as a possible physical manifestation of the 'big-five' personality traits. For example, it is found that extraversion and openness are strongly associated with the symmetry of the face...Research indicates that facial symmetry is linked to the ‘big-five’ model of personality. The most consistent finding is that facial symmetry is positively correlated with extraversion, indicating that individuals with more symmetric faces are also more extroverted. More symmetrical faces are also judged to be lower on neuroticism but higher on conscientiousness and agreeableness. More symmetrical faces are also more likely to have more desirable social attributes assigned to them, such as sociable, intelligent or lively."

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
"Facial symmetry is one specific measure of bodily asymmetry. Along with traits such as averageness and youthfulness it influences judgements of aesthetic traits of physical attractiveness and beauty. It is also associated with health and genetic fitness. Facial symmetry has been suggested as a possible physical manifestation of the 'big-five' personality traits. For example, it is found that extraversion and openness are strongly associated with the symmetry of the face...Research indicates that facial symmetry is linked to the ‘big-five’ model of personality. The most consistent finding is that facial symmetry is positively correlated with extraversion, indicating that individuals with more symmetric faces are also more extroverted. More symmetrical faces are also judged to be lower on neuroticism but higher on conscientiousness and agreeableness. More symmetrical faces are also more likely to have more desirable social attributes assigned to them, such as sociable, intelligent or lively."

Thx for that. You meant a little divergence from facial symmetry. The first thing I thought of when reading the title was a strongly deformed face. :O
Well, I can only say that my eyes were a little bit asymmetrical before I got my braces. Now they are pretty much symmetrical. So I'm not sure if you can determine extro-/introversion by that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thx for that. You meant a little divergence from facial symmetry. The first thing I thought of when reading the title was a strongly deformed face. :O
Well, I can only say that my eyes were a little bit asymmetrical before I got my braces. Now they are pretty much symmetrical. So I'm not sure if you can determine extro-/introversion by that.

It could be a little or a lot of divergence from symmetry. I only brought up the article in order to show that there is a known correlation between facial type and personality type. In this poll I am relating symmetry to J and P, not I and E.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So extroverts are the most beautiful and genetically fit. Wonderful.

I think there is far more to attractiveness and genetic fitness than that.

Although I have to say, when I was very young I was far more outgoing and my face was far more symmetric. And in my mid to late 20's, as I've become more outgoing again, my face has gotten more symmetric. I've also (with my magical Ni thinking) paid a lot of attention to my areas of focus of energy in my face, and it has contributed by being more expressive on the right side of my face, more in line with the left.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So extroverts are the most beautiful and genetically fit. Wonderful.

I think there is far more to attractiveness and genetic fitness than that.

Although I have to say, when I was very young I was far more outgoing and my face was far more symmetric. And in my mid to late 20's, as I've become more outgoing again, my face has gotten more symmetric. I've also (with my magical Ni thinking) paid a lot of attention to my areas of focus of energy in my face, and it has contributed by being more expressive on the right side of my face, more in line with the left.

http://www.larspenke.eu/pdfs/Hope_et_al_in_press_-_Facial_FA_and_childhood_SES.pdf

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't have to take it personally.

No I wasn't, I just thought it had something to do with me since it was in reply to me talking about myself. But I guess it's just related to symmetry over the lifespan.

G

Glycerine

People tell me that the proportions/harmony of my face is one of the things that make it stand out so I am guessing it's relatively symmetrical... but if you look really close, there are several asymmetries just like everyone else. I would say I am above average in facial symmetry (from a purely aesthetic point of view) but nothing to write home about.

If you think about it, pretty people tend to receive more attention and opportunities so they get more practice and validation in the social realm. It would make sense that more symmetrical individuals would score higher on the extroversion and openness scales. Some of it seems to be pointing to a "chicken vs. the egg" type of scenario.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No I wasn't, I just thought it had something to do with me since it was in reply to me talking about myself. But I guess it's just related to symmetry over the lifespan.

Yes, the document sucks.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People tell me that the proportions/harmony of my face is one of the things that make it stand out so I am guessing it's relatively symmetrical... but if you look really close, there are several asymmetries just like everyone else. I would say I am above average in facial symmetry (from a purely aesthetic point of view) but nothing to write home about.

If you think about it, pretty people tend to receive more attention and opportunities so they get more practice and validation in the social realm. It would make sense that more symmetrical individuals would score higher on the extroversion and openness scales. Some of it seems to be pointing to a "chicken vs. the egg" type of scenario.
Good point.

S

Stansmith

Slightly asymmetrical. My eye/browridge area is a bit off. Lips look funny in pictures.

S

Stansmith

INFJs are the most attractive bunch, so there might be a correlation there.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Slightly asymmetrical, I think. But not too noticeable to the average person.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm...i have no idea if mine is.