11 50.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Is Your Face Symmetrical or Asymmetrical?

This is a poll to determine if there is a correlation between between facial symmetry and personality type.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think mine is really asymmetric, but people tell me it's not noticeable to them. People say it's the standard for objective beauty, so by that standard I should be ugly; but people tell me all the time I'm beautiful.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I dunno. Probably not I feel. But not like dramatically asymmetrical.

I feel like at rest it is, but maybe the muscles are different strengths on each side? Like I can raise my right lip and eyebrow but not my left. So maybe that affects perceived symmetry?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

It has nothing to do with personality I supose. Often you can correct asymmetry with braces. Also people who are clinical depressive for a very long time can get asymmetrical faces. For example edgar allan poe.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

My face is slightly assymetrical.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    It has nothing to do with personality I supose. Often you can correct asymmetry with braces. Also people who are clinical depressive for a very long time can get asymmetrical faces. For example edgar allan poe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_symmetry
    "Facial symmetry is one specific measure of bodily asymmetry. Along with traits such as averageness and youthfulness it influences judgements of aesthetic traits of physical attractiveness and beauty. It is also associated with health and genetic fitness. Facial symmetry has been suggested as a possible physical manifestation of the 'big-five' personality traits. For example, it is found that extraversion and openness are strongly associated with the symmetry of the face...Research indicates that facial symmetry is linked to the ‘big-five’ model of personality. The most consistent finding is that facial symmetry is positively correlated with extraversion, indicating that individuals with more symmetric faces are also more extroverted. More symmetrical faces are also judged to be lower on neuroticism but higher on conscientiousness and agreeableness. More symmetrical faces are also more likely to have more desirable social attributes assigned to them, such as sociable, intelligent or lively."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

"Facial symmetry is one specific measure of bodily asymmetry. Along with traits such as averageness and youthfulness it influences judgements of aesthetic traits of physical attractiveness and beauty. It is also associated with health and genetic fitness. Facial symmetry has been suggested as a possible physical manifestation of the 'big-five' personality traits. For example, it is found that extraversion and openness are strongly associated with the symmetry of the face...Research indicates that facial symmetry is linked to the ‘big-five’ model of personality. The most consistent finding is that facial symmetry is positively correlated with extraversion, indicating that individuals with more symmetric faces are also more extroverted. More symmetrical faces are also judged to be lower on neuroticism but higher on conscientiousness and agreeableness. More symmetrical faces are also more likely to have more desirable social attributes assigned to them, such as sociable, intelligent or lively."
    Thx for that. You meant a little divergence from facial symmetry. The first thing I thought of when reading the title was a strongly deformed face. :O
    Well, I can only say that my eyes were a little bit asymmetrical before I got my braces. Now they are pretty much symmetrical. So I'm not sure if you can determine extro-/introversion by that.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Thx for that. You meant a little divergence from facial symmetry. The first thing I thought of when reading the title was a strongly deformed face. :O
    Well, I can only say that my eyes were a little bit asymmetrical before I got my braces. Now they are pretty much symmetrical. So I'm not sure if you can determine extro-/introversion by that.
    It could be a little or a lot of divergence from symmetry. I only brought up the article in order to show that there is a known correlation between facial type and personality type. In this poll I am relating symmetry to J and P, not I and E.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

So extroverts are the most beautiful and genetically fit. Wonderful.

I think there is far more to attractiveness and genetic fitness than that.

Although I have to say, when I was very young I was far more outgoing and my face was far more symmetric. And in my mid to late 20's, as I've become more outgoing again, my face has gotten more symmetric. I've also (with my magical Ni thinking) paid a lot of attention to my areas of focus of energy in my face, and it has contributed by being more expressive on the right side of my face, more in line with the left.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    So extroverts are the most beautiful and genetically fit. Wonderful.

I think there is far more to attractiveness and genetic fitness than that.

Although I have to say, when I was very young I was far more outgoing and my face was far more symmetric. And in my mid to late 20's, as I've become more outgoing again, my face has gotten more symmetric. I've also (with my magical Ni thinking) paid a lot of attention to my areas of focus of energy in my face, and it has contributed by being more expressive on the right side of my face, more in line with the left.
    http://www.larspenke.eu/pdfs/Hope_et...ldhood_SES.pdf