User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long can you spend without social contact?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Introvert: A few hours - a day

1 3.45%
  • Introvert: A few days - a week

8 27.59%
  • Introvert: A few weeks - a month

5 17.24%
  • Introvert: Months at a time

5 17.24%
  • Extrovert: A few hours - a day

4 13.79%
  • Extrovert: A few days - a week

5 17.24%
  • Extrovert: A few weeks - a month

0 0%
  • Extrovert: Months at a time

1 3.45%
First 123 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Okay, I'll just simplify it to socializing. So all of that counts. What stuff that doesn't count is talking to people that is not for the purpose of socializing, for example, making a business phone call, or if a stranger asks what time it is etc.
    In that case I'll say maybe 48-96h, since the odd long-weekend at home alone is nice at first and then slowly starts to get a bit lonely/boring. I've never gone longer than a few days without socializing so I'm not sure how I'd react to that.

(but between work/roommates/sports every week, I can and often do go weeks without any additional socializing).

I'm probably like a 9/10 on an arbitrary introversion scale, though.
    -end of thread-

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Introvert: A few weeks - a month

garbage

Depending on whatever else is going on, I have upswings and downswings of social activity, each lasting for months at a time. Neither the upswing nor downswing bother me.

I also get most of my quality social interaction via chat, since many of my friends aren't local.

(JCF) Extrovert: Months at a time

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Assuming I maintain my usual non-social routine of work and errands, I could easily go months, which is how I voted. I have spent ~3 day periods without speaking to another soul other than another hiker on the trail asking directions. It seemed like heaven, only too brief; a package of crackers for a starving person. I suspect I could tolerate and even enjoy longer periods of complete solitude, but alas have not had the opportunity to test that hypothesis.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    This is interesting. Sometimes, I go out just for the sake of getting a change of scenery or interacting with new people, but more often, I avoid going to places where I'll be forced to interact with people because I'm too tired. For example, when I was in college, I was heavily involved in student groups - people were always looking for me and engaging me so I was always burning the candle at both ends...at the end of the day, I'd barricade myself in my dorm room and even when I wanted to go to the gym, I wouldn't do it because I was afraid that having to say "hi" to the security guard at the entrance would be enough to do me in. So, I started downloading workout videos and doing them in my dorm room by myself.
    Yeah, there are definite times when I've had enough and just need to be left alone. Especially if I've had to be "on" for too long. Like socializing with people who I can't be 100% comfortable around. More and more all I really want is time with my close few friends and my husband. But like, good quality time. And getting out. I need to get out and do things.

That's too funny about the gym thing though!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Yeah, there are definite times when I've had enough and just need to be left alone. Especially if I've had to be "on" for too long. Like socializing with people who I can't be 100% comfortable around. More and more all I really want is time with my close few friends and my husband. But like, good quality time. And getting out. I need to get out and do things.

This sounds pretty much exactly like me. I think you're selling me on the extrovert bandwagon!

Haha, I'm sure the people who lived below me were pissed! But yes, thankfully Youtube has a lot to offer if you search for "cardio workout."
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

A couple of days, I think.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post

A few days to a week. But not talking to anyone at all? Maybe a little less than that. However, sometimes I'm tired of social contact but I feel like I need it at the same time because my Fe demands it, and I need to "connect" with someone. Good, quality time like nicolita said. But preferably someone I'm extremely close with who is a fellow introvert who I can either just sit and do nothing with, not having to talk, or someone I can have meaningful conversations with.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

A few hours alone is usually plenty for me to recenter. Every so often I like having a day to tool around or just veg on the couch completely on my own. But half the time I end up on TypoC, which is technically socializing.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    612 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Introvert - months at a time. Like right now. I wish I could interact with people even less.

Unless we include talking to strangers the internet. Like here. Then a couple days at most.
    EII
    supine

R|L|oAI
    neutral good
    intrapersonal intelligence