• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your theory on MBTI obsession

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why are people (here, or elsewhere) so into MBTI? What need does it fill?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's just the thing, most of us don't use the MBTI forums as forums about MBTI, it's more about social networking than anything.

I was interested in it because it was a rationale for my unconventional personality. I first took the test in high school, scored INTJ. I didn't think much of it then, but when surfing the Internet, I discovered the four-letter code again, and it stated that the INTJ was one of the rarest types and is a type that tends to feel misunderstood (allegedly). From there, it became an obsession that perks its head up every now and then.

Having said that, however, the type theory is the real trap that sends one into a world of confusion. When typing other people, it just seems that everyone (including experts) types the person based on the traits of that person they want to see. In reality, these traits are contradictory, as we all react differently to different sorts of stimuli.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
When typing other people, it just seems that everyone (including experts) types the person based on the traits of that person they want to see. In reality, these traits are contradictory, as we all react differently to different sorts of stimuli.

Actually if someone's an expert they shouldn't be typing other real people at all, that is if the person is still alive! I.e., ethically you can type Abe Lincoln but Obama and McCain get to decide their preferences for themselves and so should everyone else. But it's fun, so it happens.

You're totally right about everyone reacting differently to different stimuli--if we didn't we wouldn't make it out of adolescence, let alone hold a job beyond "Would you like fries with that?"

Typing fictional characters is fair game.

Why am I into type? Because when I use it with teams they start being productive. When I use it with teachers, they stop saying, "What's wrong with these kids" and start changing what they're doing. When I use it with leaders they start working on their blind spots.

I like seeing people get along, in other words.

edcoaching

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Actually if someone's an expert they shouldn't be typing other real people at all, that is if the person is still alive! I.e., ethically you can type Abe Lincoln but Obama and McCain get to decide their preferences for themselves and so should everyone else. But it's fun, so it happens.

Ethics shmethics. A lot of people "mistype" themselves and can wind up in careers or relationships or situations that confuse them because they misunderstood or mis-assessed their qualities.

I think a lot of people are into MBTI for a bunch of reasons. Validation is a big one, and loneliness connects with that. Like Uber said, people don't want to feel alone. MBTI makes you feel like you're part of a group. It can also make you feel unique. For some people (like Hustler over at INTPc) it's used as narcissistic supplies to inflate one's ego. "[My type] is the [best/smartest/most unique/whatever-we're-best-at]" type. Third, it's a tool for prediction to avoid costly mistakes and wasted energy or effort in the wrong direction, like any stereotype. This isn't an all-inclusive list, just my opening thoughts.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not exactly obsessed, but this is something I pick up now and again just like many other things. To me it is a tool for gaining deeper self-knowledge and that is a good thing.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's just the thing, most of us don't use the MBTI forums as forums about MBTI, it's more about social networking than anything.

I was interested in it because it was a rationale for my unconventional personality.

Aspergers syndrome wasn't enough huh?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Personally, when I discovered it, I used to explain, and further, excuse my irresponsible and erratic behavior. My parents were honestly frightened for my life on more than on occasion as well as endlessly annoyed by my lacking enthusiasm for school and socializing.

It turned from that, into just a handy tool for predicting peoples' behavior and... well just an overall handy tool.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I use it to understand (in order to adjust) my own internal reactions..

For example:

I get overwhelmed by Ti talk.
I get negative and see roadblocks (this would never work.. this is wrong.. etc) everywhere when I'm stressed. (inferior Te)
I get exhausted by extroverting.

Lots of things... that I would have just accepted as my own drawbacks... but now I see why I am affected, and so.. I accept it and work on avoiding the above, and more.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
We strive to understand complex concepts with mental models, and the MBTI provides an intuitively validated and useful mental model.

One big advantage is that the MBTI provides a more objective and systematic approach which might be filled by a less useful model, or by popular armchair psychology, or even astrology. :ninja:

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
I got off here to buy a new hat.

Seriously, I came here to ask a question. I stayed because it's pleasant.

Validation, for me, was probably one of the biggest reasons to explore Myers-Briggs - a whole bunch of other people just as weird as me? Then you find out a fair number are even weirder. I was on the list at intp.org for years until it became unmanageable. I'm still subscribed to a kindler, gentler splinter list of INTPs but in that group we seldom even refer to MBTI. We’re just a bunch of people with similar quirks who’ve known each other for probably fifteen years. We’ve shared one hell of a lot of amusing diatribes as well as reflections on marriages, divorces, relocations, childbirths, illnesses, and one death.

BTW, finding out that someone you’ve known online has been dead for three years is a strange experience. I went so far as to tape a note to the side of my computer with a list of email addresses/boards that should be notified if I suddenly kick the bucket.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm comfortable here. I'm not right without communication.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
And that is what prompted me to start this thread because I agree that most here are for social reasons. I personally would not and do not socialize on the forum, but I may be in denial about being obsessed. If anything I may be considered obsessed with determining my true type. For the most part I usually leave the forum(s) alone unless there are questions or I happen to be on the forum and find a thread of interest.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why am I obsessed with MBTI?

I want to understand what motivates people do the things they do and how to deal with them. I want to better get along with other people, and MBTI helps me understand how they view the world and other people.
I want to predict people's patterns of behavior. MBTI/Kiersey is OK at that, but I think that enneagram is much better at explaining people's base motivations and fears. I've gotten better at MBTI typing (just a matter of choosing I over E, etc), and I can fathom a guess at someone's MBTI type after knowing them for a short time, but I am nowhere near mastering the enneagram.

I also want to understand how well MBTI theory translates into reality. This is the main reason why I am here. For example: MBTI says that SJs are organized and very detailed planners, but it doesn't give lots of examples about how SJs do that. Hearing concrete examples on the forum from everyday life helps me understand that.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's the name given by those who don't understand MBTI talk, same with ADD.

I was under the impression aspergers as well as the rest of the autism spectrum were the result of an actual physical defect in the neurons.

I guess I wouldn't know. ADD is the result of an 'imbalance' of chemicals that pass between them.

The distinction being that you can treat ADD because you can alter the number of chemicals, but can't change the chemical makeup of the brain cells without killing them (or at least we've not found a way yet).

I agree with you that ADD isn't real. Thanks to irresponsible parents (only my favorite among a myriad of culprits) and their unfair standards, kids have to take drugs to 'fix' them.

I could be wrong about aspergers though. I didn't do any research, I just figured the reason they didn't have a drug to fix it was because the problem can't be repaired by a re-stocking of the neurotransmitters.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I want to understand what motivates people do the things they do and how to deal with them.

That seems to be one of the big themes, but do you really think this theory is well-equipped to offer explanations? MBTI doesn't really tell why why the preferences are there. It actually doesn't tell you anything since it's just a classification system. This is one of my big problems with the way people use MBTI. For example, someone will choose to take a Mathematics class instead of an English class and someone here will say: "oh yeah, he chose it because he's a T." That seems very backwards to me. The reason you say he's a "T" is because he chooses Mathematics, not the other way around. A description of something shouldn't be confused with the thing that causes that quality. There may be a third variable that causes both of those, but MBTI provides no explanation. Why do people prefer order? Why do people get pleasure from following rules? What starts all that? To me, you need to get a lot deeper than MBTI. There are theories out there that can make sense of those catalysts, but MBTI isn't one of them.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
That seems to be one of the big themes, but do you really think this theory is well-equipped to offer explanations? MBTI doesn't really tell why why the preferences are there. It actually doesn't tell you anything since it's just a classification system. This is one of my big problems with the way people use MBTI.
Official proof that Edahn gets it.

In terms of actually mapping personality (a mostly hopeless feat) typology does nothing more than to find the edges of the puzzle, granting holistic perspective of the puzzles making it somewhat easier to pinpoint the relative locations of objects in printed image.

A mild analogy at best.

The point is, type theory doesn't tell why we like to do whatever we like to do, it just tells how we prefer to do it, and even still, the sixteen types are not absolute.

Good thread by the way, Edahn. I've been wondering on the philosophy surrounding typology for some time myself (lately I've been wondering more strongly what its purpose is etc.). This is a perfect outlet. I'd even thought once or twice about starting a thread like this myself.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Another thought...does type theory help answer the questions it was designed to answer? Jung: How did Freud and I differ and what drove us apart? What differences are there in the human personality that I might use as a road map for getting patients unstuck? Myers and Briggs: What are the naturally occurring differences in normal people? Is there a framework that people can use to make good use of those differences? If we create an instrument, could more people have access to this framework that we are finding so helpful? Would it help move us toward world peace? (Hey, it was WWII and they were both NFs)

edcoaching

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
In terms of actually mapping personality (a mostly hopeless feat) typology does nothing more than to find the edges of the puzzle, granting holistic perspective of the puzzles making it somewhat easier to pinpoint the locations of objects in printed image.

The point is, type theory doesn't tell why we like to do whatever we like to do, it just tells how we prefer to do it, and even still, the sixteen types are not absolute.

I agree with this. Type theory is descriptive but not explanatory.