First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Why are people (here, or elsewhere) so into MBTI? What need does it fill?
    I am here because I find people very interesting and MBTI gives a one way (and a good one) to understand people.

MBTI
    INXP

I'm comfortable here. I'm not right without communication.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Aspergers syndrome wasn't enough huh?
    That's the name given by those who don't understand MBTI talk, same with ADD.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    That's just the thing, most of us don't use the MBTI forums as forums about MBTI, it's more about social networking than anything.
    And that is what prompted me to start this thread because I agree that most here are for social reasons. I personally would not and do not socialize on the forum, but I may be in denial about being obsessed. If anything I may be considered obsessed with determining my true type. For the most part I usually leave the forum(s) alone unless there are questions or I happen to be on the forum and find a thread of interest.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Why am I obsessed with MBTI?

I want to understand what motivates people do the things they do and how to deal with them. I want to better get along with other people, and MBTI helps me understand how they view the world and other people.
    I want to predict people's patterns of behavior. MBTI/Kiersey is OK at that, but I think that enneagram is much better at explaining people's base motivations and fears. I've gotten better at MBTI typing (just a matter of choosing I over E, etc), and I can fathom a guess at someone's MBTI type after knowing them for a short time, but I am nowhere near mastering the enneagram.

I also want to understand how well MBTI theory translates into reality. This is the main reason why I am here. For example: MBTI says that SJs are organized and very detailed planners, but it doesn't give lots of examples about how SJs do that. Hearing concrete examples on the forum from everyday life helps me understand that.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    That's the name given by those who don't understand MBTI talk, same with ADD.
    I was under the impression aspergers as well as the rest of the autism spectrum were the result of an actual physical defect in the neurons.

I guess I wouldn't know. ADD is the result of an 'imbalance' of chemicals that pass between them.

The distinction being that you can treat ADD because you can alter the number of chemicals, but can't change the chemical makeup of the brain cells without killing them (or at least we've not found a way yet).

I agree with you that ADD isn't real. Thanks to irresponsible parents (only my favorite among a myriad of culprits) and their unfair standards, kids have to take drugs to 'fix' them.

I could be wrong about aspergers though. I didn't do any research, I just figured the reason they didn't have a drug to fix it was because the problem can't be repaired by a re-stocking of the neurotransmitters.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by dnivera View Post
    I want to understand what motivates people do the things they do and how to deal with them.
    That seems to be one of the big themes, but do you really think this theory is well-equipped to offer explanations? MBTI doesn't really tell why why the preferences are there. It actually doesn't tell you anything since it's just a classification system. This is one of my big problems with the way people use MBTI. For example, someone will choose to take a Mathematics class instead of an English class and someone here will say: "oh yeah, he chose it because he's a T." That seems very backwards to me. The reason you say he's a "T" is because he chooses Mathematics, not the other way around. A description of something shouldn't be confused with the thing that causes that quality. There may be a third variable that causes both of those, but MBTI provides no explanation. Why do people prefer order? Why do people get pleasure from following rules? What starts all that? To me, you need to get a lot deeper than MBTI. There are theories out there that can make sense of those catalysts, but MBTI isn't one of them.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    That seems to be one of the big themes, but do you really think this theory is well-equipped to offer explanations? MBTI doesn't really tell why why the preferences are there. It actually doesn't tell you anything since it's just a classification system. This is one of my big problems with the way people use MBTI.
    Official proof that Edahn gets it.

In terms of actually mapping personality (a mostly hopeless feat) typology does nothing more than to find the edges of the puzzle, granting holistic perspective of the puzzles making it somewhat easier to pinpoint the relative locations of objects in printed image.

A mild analogy at best.

The point is, type theory doesn't tell why we like to do whatever we like to do, it just tells how we prefer to do it, and even still, the sixteen types are not absolute.

Good thread by the way, Edahn. I've been wondering on the philosophy surrounding typology for some time myself (lately I've been wondering more strongly what its purpose is etc.). This is a perfect outlet. I'd even thought once or twice about starting a thread like this myself.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Another thought...does type theory help answer the questions it was designed to answer? Jung: How did Freud and I differ and what drove us apart? What differences are there in the human personality that I might use as a road map for getting patients unstuck? Myers and Briggs: What are the naturally occurring differences in normal people? Is there a framework that people can use to make good use of those differences? If we create an instrument, could more people have access to this framework that we are finding so helpful? Would it help move us toward world peace? (Hey, it was WWII and they were both NFs)

edcoaching

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    In terms of actually mapping personality (a mostly hopeless feat) typology does nothing more than to find the edges of the puzzle, granting holistic perspective of the puzzles making it somewhat easier to pinpoint the locations of objects in printed image.

The point is, type theory doesn't tell why we like to do whatever we like to do, it just tells how we prefer to do it, and even still, the sixteen types are not absolute.
    I agree with this. Type theory is descriptive but not explanatory.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness