User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default MBTI and Big 5 correspondence

I recently mentioned in another thread that it should be possible to compute your MBTI score from your Big 5 score based on published Big 5 / MBTI correlations, which are remarkably high. This may be useful for those who aren't sure about their MBTI type and would like to try to get at it from a different angle. In this thread I will provide a legal version of the Big 5, and will try to work out how to convert the Big 5 score to your MBTI score in a reasonable way. Figuring out the best way to do the conversion is a work in progress. Once I / we are satisfied with the method, I will implement a javascript version that scores it for you - automagic MBTI via Big 5. Also, I used the following references to make this happen:

• McCrae, R. & Costa, P. (1989). Reinterpreting the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator From the Perspective of the Five-Factor Model of Personality. Journal of Personality.
    • Oliver, J., Naumann, L. & Soto, C. (2008). Paradigm Shift to the Integrative Big Five Trait Taxonomy. In Handbook of Personality, 3rd ed.

Step 1: Take the Big 5

Step 2: Score the Big 5

Do not read this section before taking the Big 5!

Step 3: Convert Big 5 to MBTI

For my first attempt I propose the most obvious thing - each MBTI preference is a linear combination of the Big 5 Factor scores. A score below 0 is either E, S, T or J, while a score above 0 is either I, N, F or P. I have not thought about how to interpret the magnitudes yet, although it should be possible. It would be nice to use only the significant correlations, but in order to make this work we need them all (for now). So, perform the following calculation:

HTML Code:
    Men
          E/I =  .05*N - .34*E + .15*O + .10*A + .17*C
          S/N =  .07*N + .06*E + .61*O - .27*A - .15*C
          T/F = -.11*N + .22*E + .01*O + .25*A - .16*C
          J/P = -.10*N + .11*E + .04*O - .10*A - .34*C
    Women
          E/I =  .08*N - .38*E - .04*O - .03*A - .02*C
          S/N =  .16*N + .09*E + .41*O - .01*A - .04*C
          T/F =  .15*N - .01*E - .06*O + .46*A - .39*C
          J/P =  .12*N + .00*E + .18*O + .11*A - .55*C
    If any brave souls who are sure of their type will now try this out, I'll be able to evaluate how much or little I messed this up.. ^_^

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Okay, I didn't want to take out a pen so I looked it up online and took it there. Can you use this or should I do something different? Sorry :/

Openness to Experience/Intellect (Your percentile: 84)

Conscientiousness (Your percentile: 10)

Extraversion (Your percentile: 70)

Agreeableness (Your percentile: 69)

Neuroticism (Your percentile: 49)
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Okay, I didn't want to take out a pen so I looked it up online and took it there. Can you use this or should I do something different? Sorry :/

Openness to Experience/Intellect (Your percentile: 84)

Conscientiousness (Your percentile: 10)

Extraversion (Your percentile: 70)

Agreeableness (Your percentile: 69)

Neuroticism (Your percentile: 49)
    I don't think I can use these scores. However, I made it so that you don't need a pen. There are [] in my post to put numbers, and I included them everywhere you would need them to help compute your score as you go. So just quote my post and do it in the edit field..

MBTI
    ISTP

Reverse scoring means that, for example, disagree strongly becomes agree strongly, and so on.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

1. [4] Is talkative
    2. [2] Tends to find fault with others
    3. [3] Does a thorough job
    4. [2] Is depressed, blue
    5. [4] Is original, comes up with new ideas
    6. [2] Is reserved
    7. [4] Is helpful and unselfish with others
    8. [4] Can be somewhat careless
    9. [3] Is relaxed, handles stress well
    10. [5] Is curious about many different things
    11. [4] Is full of energy
    12. [1] Starts quarrels with others
    13. [4] Is a reliable worker
    14. [3] Can be tense
    15. [4] Is ingenious, a deep thinker
    16. [4] Generates a lot of enthusiasm
    17. [5] Has a forgiving nature
    18. [4] Tends to be disorganized
    19. [3] Worries a lot
    20. [4] Has an active imagination
    21. [2] Tends to be quiet
    22. [4] Is generally trusting
    23. [3] Tends to be lazy
    24. [3] Is emotionally stable, not easily upset
    25. [4] Is inventive
    26. [2] Has an assertive personality
    27. [3] Can be cold and aloof
    28. [2] Perseveres until the task is finished
    29. [3] Can be moody
    30. [5] Values artistic, aesthetic experiences
    31. [2] Is sometimes shy, inhibited
    32. [4] Is considerate and kind to almost everyone
    33. [2] Does things efficiently
    34. [3] Remains calm in tense situations
    35. [2] Prefers work that is routine
    36. [4] Is outgoing, sociable
    37. [2] Is sometimes rude to others
    38. [2] Makes plans and follows through with them
    39. [3] Gets nervous easily
    40. [5] Likes to reflect, play with ideas
    41. [1] Has few artistic interests
    42. [3] Likes to cooperate with others
    43. [4] Is easily distracted
    44. [4] Is sophisticated in art, music, or literature
    ok, i didn't know what reverse scoring meant, so i'm just gonna post this for now. as i'm re-doing this and still doing it in a long, dumb way, i'm laughing at the "does things efficiently". Maybe 2 was generous, hahah!

EDIT: I'm a strong extrovert
    I have a slight iNtroversion preference
    I have a slight Feeling preference
    I have a strong Perceiving preference
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    ok, i didn't know what reverse scoring meant, so i'm just gonna post this for now. as i'm re-doing this and still doing it in a long, dumb way, i'm laughing at the "does things efficiently". Maybe 2 was generous, hahah!
    Awesome, I am going out now but will work this out later.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Here are my scores:

Extroversion: 18 / 8 = 2.25
    Agreeableness: 31 / 9 = 3.44
    Conscientiousness: 23 / 9 = 2.56
    Neuroticism: 22 / 8 = 2.75
    Openness: 48 / 10 = 4.8

Women
    E/I = .08*N - .38*E - .04*O - .03*A - .02*C = .22 - .855 - .192 - .1032 - .0512 = -0.9814
    S/N = .16*N + .09*E + .41*O - .01*A - .04*C = .44 + .2025 + 1.968 - .0344 - .1024 = +2.4737
    T/F = .15*N - .01*E - .06*O + .46*A - .39*C = .4125 - .0225 - .288 + 1.5824 - .9984 = +0.6860
    J/P = .12*N + .00*E + .18*O + .11*A - .55*C = .33 + 0 + .864 + .3784 - 1.408 = +0.1644

As far as my preferences actually go, it's:

Average Introvert (amicable)
    Very high iNtuitive
    Average Thinking w/ some developed F-style traits
    Solid Perceiver

If I listed the four functions in order of typical scoring, it would be NPIT.

The Agreeableness score is interesting, it scales here a lot into T/F. I have issues with some of the questions (such as "sometimes is rude to others") if an attempt is made to convert them to MBTI, because interestingly I think think function type matters and you're going to find Fi types who are more rude and Fe who are less rude, and then you get your T types in the middle area and then ranging into rude... but why isn't someone rude or why are they rude? The motivation would reflect more on preference than this kind of broad observational point. Agreeableness seems to deal more with surface level behavior, not preference. I guess the correlation value is supposed to cover this, though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    I recently mentioned in another thread that it should be possible to compute your MBTI score from your Big 5 score based on published Big 5 / MBTI correlations, which are remarkably high. This may be useful for those who aren't sure about their MBTI type and would like to try to get at it from a different angle. In this thread I will provide a legal version of the Big 5, and will try to work out how to convert the Big 5 score to your MBTI score in a reasonable way. Figuring out the best way to do the conversion is a work in progress. Once I / we are satisfied with the method, I will implement a javascript version that scores it for you - automagic MBTI via Big 5. Also, I used the following references to make this happen:

• McCrae, R. & Costa, P. (1989). Reinterpreting the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator From the Perspective of the Five-Factor Model of Personality. Journal of Personality.
    • Oliver, J., Naumann, L. & Soto, C. (2008). Paradigm Shift to the Integrative Big Five Trait Taxonomy. In Handbook of Personality, 3rd ed.

Step 1: Take the Big 5

Step 2: Score the Big 5

Do not read this section before taking the Big 5!

Step 3: Convert Big 5 to MBTI

For my first attempt I propose the most obvious thing - each MBTI preference is a linear combination of the Big 5 Factor scores. A score below 0 is either E, S, T or J, while a score above 0 is either I, N, F or P. I have not thought about how to interpret the magnitudes yet, although it should be possible. It would be nice to use only the significant correlations, but in order to make this work we need them all (for now). So, perform the following calculation:

HTML Code:
    Men
          E/I =  .05*N - .34*E + .15*O + .10*A + .17*C
          S/N =  .07*N + .06*E + .61*O - .27*A - .15*C
          T/F = -.11*N + .22*E + .01*O + .25*A - .16*C
          J/P = -.10*N + .11*E + .04*O - .10*A - .34*C
    Women
          E/I =  .08*N - .38*E - .04*O - .03*A - .02*C
          S/N =  .16*N + .09*E + .41*O - .01*A - .04*C
          T/F =  .15*N - .01*E - .06*O + .46*A - .39*C
          J/P =  .12*N + .00*E + .18*O + .11*A - .55*C
    If any brave souls who are sure of their type will now try this out, I'll be able to evaluate how much or little I messed this up.. ^_^
    Mingularity, I try not to be disagreeable on this forum (ahem, high A score on the Big 5), but the algorithms make no sense. Think about it. If you have to factor in the Big 5's extroversion into someone's S/N score, that score is not a valid measure of S/N. You're saying you can figure out whether someone's S or N by taking 16% of a measure of their neuroticism, 9% of a measure of their extroversion, adding a large chunk of how open they are, and subtracting small figures based on how agreeable or conscientious they are...that gives you a reliable measurement of sensing or intuition? I argue that if it does, then it's by chance, and not because those algorithms are valid.

So, basically, don't forget to figure out the statistical significance of your findings.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ISTP

^ Significance levels are arbitrary. The correlations still carry information. The key question is about power, not significance. Keeping them in increases power because it keeps all the information around, which means we are using all the data from all the subjects.

The Big 5 is a high dimensional rotation of the MBTI - all variables do in fact correlate significantly. The question is how big of a sample would you need to achieve standard significance levels.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

There's no way I'm converting that entire list by hand and calculation. I'm just finding a random big 5 test on the internet and will edit with results.

Extraversion 2.5
    Extraversion reflects how much you are oriented towards things outside yourself and derive satisfaction from interacting with other people.
    Conscientiousness 4.2
    Conscientiousness reflects how careful you are, both in respect to orginization and rules.
    Neuroticism 2.7
    Neuroticism is the tendancy to experince negative emotions.
    Agreeableness 2.8
    Agreeableness reflects how much you like and try please others.
    Openness 4.5
    Openness reflects how much you seek out new experinces.

Hm, I seem unusaully high on conscientiousness for an ITP.