User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Post A quick note on typing people

I have previously described the difference between forward modeling and inverse modeling. I will now describe model-free versus model-based typing. Please do Google these terms.

Model-free typing: typing based on stimulus-response associations. Patterns that you notice in others but don't really identify with. This also includes having a grand theory of types without the ability to actually become that type or use the cognitive function that you recognize based on patterns of behavior or inference. You might call it shallow theory of mind.

Model-based typing: Recognizing what parts of your thinking correspond to the various cognitive functions. Recognizing that a pattern of behavior in others corresponds to a particular cognitive function based on your experience in using said functions to behave that way. You might call this deep theory of mind.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

There's a bit too much logic there for me to completely follow, but I think your basic point is that some people type more by general impressions or connections, whereas other people reference external frameworks to support what they see in the type.

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, which I guess is needless to say.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    There's a bit too much logic there for me to completely follow
    Ain't never heard an INTP say that before.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ISTP

[...] I think your basic point is that some people type more by general impressions or connections, whereas other people reference external frameworks to support what they see in the type.
    Actually, both of those fall under what I call "shallow theory of mind." Deep theory of mind is when you can figure out what pattern of cognitive functions produced a behavior by running an actual simulation of the cognitive functions producing those behaviors in your own mind.

Have you merely memorized the surface features of type X (shallow), or do you actually know what it's like to be like type X? (deep)

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Ain't never heard an INTP say that before.
    What's your vision of the INTP personality type? Do I not fit that vision?

Those are serious questions, because I really don't know.

MBTI
    ISTP

She's just joking, I'm pretty sure

You come off as TiNe or TiNi.

One thing you could try - take the Big 5 (NEO-PI) inventory, and then use the published correlations with the MBTI (found on the Wikipedia article) to narrow down your type. You should be unfamiliar with the NEO-PI questions which will help with the problem of knowing too much about the MBTI questions (which introduces bias).

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I know a female INTP...
    She is a very interesting, kind, philosophical, logical, thoughtful girl.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    She's just joking, I'm pretty sure

You come off as TiNe or TiNi.

One thing you could try - take the Big 5 (NEO-PI) inventory, and then use the published correlations with the MBTI (found on the Wikipedia article) to narrow down your type. You should be unfamiliar with the NEO-PI questions which will help with the problem of knowing too much about the MBTI questions (which introduces bias).
    Haha, I was partially joking, mingularity. But INTPs generally fancy themselves experts on matters of logic, no matter how esoteric the subject matter is, so I just found your word choice "there's a bit too much logic in there for me to completely follow" funny. What drew you to self-identify as INTP?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Haha, I was partially joking, mingularity. But INTPs generally fancy themselves experts on matters of logic, no matter how esoteric the subject matter is, so I just found your word choice "there's a bit too much logic in there for me to completely follow" funny. What drew you to self-identify as INTP?
    I've had various types recommended to me throughout my time on this forum, and the most common ones suggested for me were INTP, ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ, in that order. INTP was the most common, and in the middle of the 4. I think it fits best because I'm always trying to reason things out and build up complex views on things. This may or may not involve all of the laws of logic (reason after all can integrate logic along with many other fields). This would be Ti most likely, and I chose Ne over Ni, since I'm very open to new ways of thinking and expanding. I'm also very good at randomly generating crazy ideas and bouncing a bunch of things around. Ni I would think is more about insights.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I've had various types recommended to me throughout my time on this forum, and the most common ones suggested for me were INTP, ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ, in that order. INTP was the most common, and in the middle of the 4. I think it fits best because I'm always trying to reason things out and build up complex views on things. This may or may not involve all of the laws of logic (reason after all can integrate logic along with many other fields). This would be Ti most likely, and I chose Ne over Ni, since I'm very open to new ways of thinking and expanding. I'm also very good at randomly generating crazy ideas and bouncing a bunch of things around. Ni I would think is more about insights.
    The way you picked your type reads "J" more than "P." How much consideration have you given to INTJ?