First 12

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    Have you merely memorized the surface features of type X (shallow), or do you actually know what it's like to be like type X? (deep)
    How does one, especially with different functions, know what it is like to be like type X? This is really interesting to me. So any insight you can give would be helpful. How does one know where their created model ends and the other persons experience begins?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    How does one, especially with different functions, know what it is like to be like type X? This is really interesting to me. So any insight you can give would be helpful. How does one know where their created model ends and the other persons experience begins?
    The idea is that after learning the surface features of other types or cognitive functions or cognitive function loops that, over time, you both accidentally and intentionally start to notice what your brain feels like when you think like that. You then start to lock that in. It requires introspective recognition of, OH, I was just using Te, and that's what it feels like to think using Te. This will start training it up, and it will become more natural. You can then switch modes.

I'm not very good at this - I tend to have to do everything step by step which takes a long time (Ti). However, my Ni is confident that this is the way it works.

Just put yourself in the shoes of Jung. Sitting in his office year after year seeing thousands and thousands of patients and trying to figure out how to think like his patients. I don't think we get that much practice. If we did this might seem more obvious..

I think a lot of the typing that goes on is "shallow theory of mind"... it's hard for me to tell though. Does anyone think they are getting good at identifying / using their non-preferred functions? According to Jung we all get better at it with age.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

The futility of man is highly evident to me after years of thinking.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    One thing you could try - take the Big 5 (NEO-PI) inventory, and then use the published correlations with the MBTI (found on the Wikipedia article) to narrow down your type. You should be unfamiliar with the NEO-PI questions which will help with the problem of knowing too much about the MBTI questions (which introduces bias).
    I remember being fascinated with the big 5 for a short lived time after watching Child of Our Time on television a while back. If I recall correctly my score on the BBC website was low everything except neuroticism, which was through the roof.

I agree with your points on typing people and the limitations and pitfalls in certain methods.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.