• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Strong or Balanced?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I favor a two-sided approach: developing to strong functions to get even more "profit" out of using them, while developing the weak functions so as to not make them an obstacle in the course of my life.

So there's roughly two levels of "enough" of function development for me. One is never enough, the other is just trying to attain mediocracy.

But, then there are situations. Every now and then I might do something excellent with just a weak function, so I try it. I'm trying to develop my functions as needed. There's no function I've really abandoned all hope of ever developing.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would strengthen my weakpoints.

Reason? My preferences are easy to handle, to work with... it's my weakpoints which hold me back.

For instance, as someone who's Ne Ti, I generally fail to take full advantage of my Se... if I could work on developing my Se, I would possibly find myself completing more projects and attending to details in both life and work with more thoroughness.

moonlit_reveries

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I would do both, I'd become more aware of my natural gifts and find even more positive healthy ways to use them and become more self actualized. On the other hand, I'd also become more aware of my shadow and my weaker processes and work on developing them (though I'll be patient with myself ideally, because these are after all a big step out of my comfort zone.)
An awareness of my shadow has really helped me understand interpersonal conflict in a new light. Self development is a great idea, but even just awareness is a great start, and I'm already starting to see some growth because of my awareness.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I would be surprised if you weren't exercising your strong points whilst striving to improve the weak ones.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would be surprised if you weren't exercising your strong points whilst striving to improve the weak ones.

Yes... how can one decrease or allow the one's primary functions to stagnate without active repression? Working on one's weakpoints would probably allow the best elements of one's primary functions to shine through.

moonlit_reveries

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Working on one's weakpoints would probably allow the best elements of one's primary functions to shine through.

I definitely agree! I wonder if we access our weaker points through our stronger ones. I'm not quite sure how it works yet, but that's a thought I have.

wolfy

awsm
In strengthening your strong points they could be utilized to cover weakpoints. For example people with strong extraverted sensing use it in there interactions as a fill in for extraverted feeling.That is how they feel empathy.

Weak points can't be ignored that's for sure.

I guess I just really like the strength based approach.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
In your opinion knowing the cognitive processes of your type, do you think you should strengthen your preferences or balance out your weak points?

I think personally it would make sense to strengthen your preferences because
that is where your talents would lie.

Has anyone read anything on improving the functions? I was thinking of getting this
Amazon.com: 8 Keys to Self Leadership: From Awareness to Action: Dario Nardi: Books

I think what will create the most satisfaction for most people is to strengthen their auxiliary function. Each person will get a lot of mileage if they have both a strong perceiving and judging function because the two work together a lot. A person who relies too heavily on judging will gather bad information, while a person who focuses only on perceiving will come to poor conclusions.
In general if you want to strengthen your primary function then I believe the best way is to build up your auxiliary function.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I favor a two-sided approach: developing to strong functions to get even more "profit" out of using them, while developing the weak functions so as to not make them an obstacle in the course of my life.

Strategically, I think this is the best option... both from the theoretical perspective as well as practical experience.

It is also the conventional wisdom you will get from "leadership seminars" and similar things. Shore up your weaknesses just enough for you to not be sidelined by them, and/or find another person to cover your back in your weak spots -- but otherwise crank on your strengths.

I did risk managing for years and years in my personal growth life. Past an initial investment to keep the weaknesses from derailing you, you get less and less return for your energy and time; you want to use your strengths, which use minimal energy for great return. (I should have accepted what weaknesses I did have and focused on making headway with my greatest assets.)

Usehername

On a mission
I definitely worked on strengthening my weak. Now that they are moderately strong, I've been focusing on pwning my strengths.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
In your opinion knowing the cognitive processes of your type, do you think you should strengthen your preferences or balance out your weak points?
Would weak points also be considered blind points, so the average person may not realize that they are faulting? I have only read a few threads where some seemed to applaud their weaker functions. I think that overall I may be in denial of how bad my feeling cognitives are.

wolfy

awsm
I think what will create the most satisfaction for most people is to strengthen their auxiliary function. Each person will get a lot of mileage if they have both a strong perceiving and judging function because the two work together a lot. A person who relies too heavily on judging will gather bad information, while a person who focuses only on perceiving will come to poor conclusions.
In general if you want to strengthen your primary function then I believe the best way is to build up your auxiliary function.

I agree. This seems the best approach.:nice:

wolfy

awsm
Would weak points also be considered blind points, so the average person may not realize that they are faulting? I have only read a few threads where some seemed to applaud their weaker functions. I think that overall I may be in denial of how bad my feeling cognitives are.

I think you would notice how they were holding you back in the real world by the results you get. If your not getting what you want in the social world then maybe that could be traced back to your feeling cognitives and made up for with another dominant or auxillary function.

But if you're getting results there is no problem.