User Tag List

12 Last

Default Strong or Balanced?

In your opinion knowing the cognitive processes of your type, do you think you should strengthen your preferences or balance out your weak points?

I think personally it would make sense to strengthen your preferences because
    that is where your talents would lie.

Has anyone read anything on improving the functions? I was thinking of getting this
    Amazon.com: 8 Keys to Self Leadership: From Awareness to Action: Dario Nardi: Books

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I favor a two-sided approach: developing to strong functions to get even more "profit" out of using them, while developing the weak functions so as to not make them an obstacle in the course of my life.

So there's roughly two levels of "enough" of function development for me. One is never enough, the other is just trying to attain mediocracy.

But, then there are situations. Every now and then I might do something excellent with just a weak function, so I try it. I'm trying to develop my functions as needed. There's no function I've really abandoned all hope of ever developing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

I would strengthen my weakpoints.

Reason? My preferences are easy to handle, to work with... it's my weakpoints which hold me back.

For instance, as someone who's Ne Ti, I generally fail to take full advantage of my Se... if I could work on developing my Se, I would possibly find myself completing more projects and attending to details in both life and work with more thoroughness.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

I would do both, I'd become more aware of my natural gifts and find even more positive healthy ways to use them and become more self actualized. On the other hand, I'd also become more aware of my shadow and my weaker processes and work on developing them (though I'll be patient with myself ideally, because these are after all a big step out of my comfort zone.)
    An awareness of my shadow has really helped me understand interpersonal conflict in a new light. Self development is a great idea, but even just awareness is a great start, and I'm already starting to see some growth because of my awareness.
    ~INFJ~
    -4w3 so/sx or sx/so

"Ideals are like the stars: we never reach them, but like the mariners of the sea, we chart our course by them."

MBTI
    INXP

I would be surprised if you weren't exercising your strong points whilst striving to improve the weak ones.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I would be surprised if you weren't exercising your strong points whilst striving to improve the weak ones.
    Yes... how can one decrease or allow the one's primary functions to stagnate without active repression? Working on one's weakpoints would probably allow the best elements of one's primary functions to shine through.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Working on one's weakpoints would probably allow the best elements of one's primary functions to shine through.
    I definitely agree! I wonder if we access our weaker points through our stronger ones. I'm not quite sure how it works yet, but that's a thought I have.
    ~INFJ~
    -4w3 so/sx or sx/so

"Ideals are like the stars: we never reach them, but like the mariners of the sea, we chart our course by them."

In strengthening your strong points they could be utilized to cover weakpoints. For example people with strong extraverted sensing use it in there interactions as a fill in for extraverted feeling.That is how they feel empathy.

Weak points can't be ignored that's for sure.

I guess I just really like the strength based approach.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    In your opinion knowing the cognitive processes of your type, do you think you should strengthen your preferences or balance out your weak points?

I think personally it would make sense to strengthen your preferences because
    that is where your talents would lie.

Has anyone read anything on improving the functions? I was thinking of getting this
    Amazon.com: 8 Keys to Self Leadership: From Awareness to Action: Dario Nardi: Books
    I think what will create the most satisfaction for most people is to strengthen their auxiliary function. Each person will get a lot of mileage if they have both a strong perceiving and judging function because the two work together a lot. A person who relies too heavily on judging will gather bad information, while a person who focuses only on perceiving will come to poor conclusions.
    In general if you want to strengthen your primary function then I believe the best way is to build up your auxiliary function.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I favor a two-sided approach: developing to strong functions to get even more "profit" out of using them, while developing the weak functions so as to not make them an obstacle in the course of my life.
    Strategically, I think this is the best option... both from the theoretical perspective as well as practical experience.

It is also the conventional wisdom you will get from "leadership seminars" and similar things. Shore up your weaknesses just enough for you to not be sidelined by them, and/or find another person to cover your back in your weak spots -- but otherwise crank on your strengths.

I did risk managing for years and years in my personal growth life. Past an initial investment to keep the weaknesses from derailing you, you get less and less return for your energy and time; you want to use your strengths, which use minimal energy for great return. (I should have accepted what weaknesses I did have and focused on making headway with my greatest assets.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft