User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I took one at a psychologist's office in the early 90's. I came out some sort of SJ variant. I don't think it was accurate at all. I was still in the military and answered all the questions the way the military would have expected me to answer them. In short, I was living a lie ... which explains the serious unhappiness I had in that profession.

Some years later, I became interested in MBTI and self-tested INTJ regularly. Once again however, I was answering the questions more in line with my profession (software engineer) than what was truly inside of me. I had come to terms with my N ... but still felt that I had to portray the J structure and organization demanded in the corporate world. Of course, military J indoctrination did not help either.

I finally came into my own as my true type (INTP) around the turn of the millenium ... when I picked up a few of the Tieger books and started analysing myself in light of my actions rather than answering some questions. INTP made the most sense and I was happiest exhibiting those characteristics. I believe it is the best fit for me, although I do have some learned J tendencies ... and the P/J axis is the closest one for me.
    The difference b/w BE and DO, yup.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    You say that the wording has to be exact. Is this to avoid contradictions between the different functions? For example, both Sensing and Judging types are resistant to change, while iNtuitive and Perceiving types embrace change.
    It's to avoid a whole host of things. And your whole post makes a testiment to that. If you assume that Sensing and Judging types are resistant to change then what question would you ask to verify reistance to change? And SPs, btw are not resistant to change.

The way I've interpreted it is that Sensors are weary of change in terms of new ideas while Judgers are weary of change in their personal habits.

I, for example, am very open to new ideas and actively look for them. I get stressed with detail work and I'm not what you would consider practical. I identify more with the imagination. But at the same time, I don't particularly like changing habits. Upon my understanding, since the S-N function is one's way of perceiving and the J-P function is the way one prefers to live his life in the outer world.

It is said that Perceivers are procrastinators, and I procrastinate on a great many things, but the way I see it is that all MBTI functions procrastinate in their own way. I procrastinate when it comes to actually getting off my ass and doing something constructive, but I am always ready to explore ideas and involve myself in activities requiring imagination.

As for the Thinking-Feeling functions, I know that Thinking has nothing to do with being an intellectual. I always defined intellectual as the enjoyment of learning for the sake of learning, without the desire for a practical application. So would intellectualism be more of an iNtuitive trait?

I appreciate you guys helping me out. I'm often insecure and I sometimes become obsessive to the point of losing sight of things.
    Perceivers often have trouble with procrastination but that is not the defining point of "perceiving". And intellectualism in not specifically an iNtuitive trait. I think this is a good site to get the basics. Why not take a look?
    My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, I've checked that site many times.

I went to this Best Fit Type and looked at INTP on a team. I must say that I identify with this type particularly in the section that deals with how INTPs deal with change.

"[INTPs] are likely to say they are not resistant to change since they are constantly developing and revising their designs and approaches. However, they do tend to resist change that appears illogical and seems to violate principles. Change that means changing their habitual way of doing routine tasks is also hard for them, especially if a big learning curve is involved. Helping them see how what they are doing isn’t effective and relating the change to progress in the grand scheme of things and its strategic purpose will help."

This is almost exactly what I'm like.

The way I'm like is that I don't want to start a new routine, but I do adapt to it reasonably easily.

With that said, would a dominant Introverted function be more inclined to resist change?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I took the short version at a campus ministry retreat, and I expect that I will take it again in the next couple of years when I start my seminary process.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    You seem like an IXTJ that has done some heavy drugs for a long time. It would explain a lot about the way you act...
    Hahahah, bitch, please!
    Let's do this thing.

I've taken official MBTI tests several times - the first was during pre-marital counseling - both my husband and I took it. I've taken it several times through work as well. One of the law firms I worked, I participated in a two-day class on how to use the results to work with the attorneys in our firm. The class also dealt with how to deal with time-management issues given our type. It was very insightful and informative. I still have the materials and refer to them periodically. I've also know of several headhunters in the DC area who using MBTI to match a potential candidate to various law firms.

While I've always tested as an ISTJ, I find it interesting how the percentages change a bit the last couple of times I've taken the test. I like to think of this as me being older and wiser!

RDF

I took one at a psychologist's office in the early 90's. I came out some sort of SJ variant. I don't think it was accurate at all. I was still in the military and answered all the questions the way the military would have expected me to answer them. In short, I was living a lie ... which explains the serious unhappiness I had in that profession.

Some years later, I became interested in MBTI and self-tested INTJ regularly. Once again however, I was answering the questions more in line with my profession (software engineer) than what was truly inside of me. I had come to terms with my N ... but still felt that I had to portray the J structure and organization demanded in the corporate world. Of course, military J indoctrination did not help either.

I finally came into my own as my true type (INTP) around the turn of the millenium ... when I picked up a few of the Tieger books and started analysing myself in light of my actions rather than answering some questions. INTP made the most sense and I was happiest exhibiting those characteristics. I believe it is the best fit for me, although I do have some learned J tendencies ... and the P/J axis is the closest one for me.
    Yep, that's me too. I took the long form test at a 3-day leadership seminar at work. I tested solidly INTJ with strong T and J because I was answering according to my work mentality. After we got out of classes that same afternoon, I picked up "Type Talk" at a bookstore and recognized the INFP profile as the correct one on the first reading. I liked the INTJ profile and was disappointed with the INFP profile, but there was no denying which was the true one.

FL

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Yep, that's me too. I took the long form test at a 3-day leadership seminar at work. I tested solidly INTJ with strong T and J because I was answering according to my work mentality. After we got out of classes that same afternoon, I picked up "Type Talk" at a bookstore and recognized the INFP profile as the correct one on the first reading. I liked the INTJ profile and was disappointed with the INFP profile, but there was no denying which was the true one.

FL
    Oddly, I was strangely drawn to the INTP profile long before I knew I was one. I wished I had the creativity and problem solving tendencies ... when I had them all along, but just denied it in lieu of a J-dominated upbringing and work environment. No regrets though, the J indoctrination has served me well. I pay my bills on time and am fairly organized. Currently working on my attention to detail. Repetition seems to help with that, although it is something I loathe.

Don't be disappointed with the INFP profile. Many, many good qualities there. NFs are the conscience of our world, which is good thing given the dark paths humanity can follow at times. As I recall, INFPs are quite creative people too.

RDF

Oddly, I was strangely drawn to the INTP profile long before I knew I was one. I wished I had the creativity and problem solving tendencies ... when I had them all along, but just denied it in lieu of a J-dominated upbringing and work environment. No regrets though, the J indoctrination has served me well. I pay my bills on time and am fairly organized. Currently working on my attention to detail. Repetition seems to help with that, although it is something I loathe.

Don't be disappointed with the INFP profile. Many, many good qualities there. NFs are the conscience of our world, which is good thing given the dark paths humanity can follow at times. As I recall, INFPs are quite creative people too.
    I agree, Nighthawk. I've accommodated myself to the INFP profile. It's allowed me to unwind and loosen up a bit. Meantime, a certain amount of ambidexterity on the T/F and J/P (learned/natural) axes has brought a lot of benefits across time.

I've done some work on my E in past years. Nowadays I'm working on developing my S, which was always pretty weak.

FL

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I've done some work on my E in past years. Nowadays I'm working on developing my S, which was always pretty weak.

FL

My E is an odd thing. I had 13+ years of intensive leadership training when I was younger ... felt very comfortable leading people, speaking in front of groups, and taking charge. So ... what do I do when I leave the military and find a new career? I become an extreme introvert again, shunning managment or any leadership roles. I've been like that for the past 15 years now. I want to be neither a leader nor a follower. Very odd that this is ingrained so thoroughly in me that even indoctrination cannot make a dent in it.

I'm at the stage in my life now where my tertiary Si is developing naturally. It is a lot of fun taking part in more sensory aspects of life ... although I do need to watch it a little with the alcohol. I've recently taken up photography and hope to expand on that as an enjoyable past time.