• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has anyone ever taken a real MBTI?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I took one at a psychologist's office in the early 90's. I came out some sort of SJ variant. I don't think it was accurate at all. I was still in the military and answered all the questions the way the military would have expected me to answer them. In short, I was living a lie ... which explains the serious unhappiness I had in that profession.

Some years later, I became interested in MBTI and self-tested INTJ regularly. Once again however, I was answering the questions more in line with my profession (software engineer) than what was truly inside of me. I had come to terms with my N ... but still felt that I had to portray the J structure and organization demanded in the corporate world. Of course, military J indoctrination did not help either.

I finally came into my own as my true type (INTP) around the turn of the millenium ... when I picked up a few of the Tieger books and started analysing myself in light of my actions rather than answering some questions. INTP made the most sense and I was happiest exhibiting those characteristics. I believe it is the best fit for me, although I do have some learned J tendencies ... and the P/J axis is the closest one for me.
The difference b/w BE and DO, yup.

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
You say that the wording has to be exact. Is this to avoid contradictions between the different functions? For example, both Sensing and Judging types are resistant to change, while iNtuitive and Perceiving types embrace change.

It's to avoid a whole host of things. And your whole post makes a testiment to that. If you assume that Sensing and Judging types are resistant to change then what question would you ask to verify reistance to change? And SPs, btw are not resistant to change.

The way I've interpreted it is that Sensors are weary of change in terms of new ideas while Judgers are weary of change in their personal habits.

I, for example, am very open to new ideas and actively look for them. I get stressed with detail work and I'm not what you would consider practical. I identify more with the imagination. But at the same time, I don't particularly like changing habits. Upon my understanding, since the S-N function is one's way of perceiving and the J-P function is the way one prefers to live his life in the outer world.

It is said that Perceivers are procrastinators, and I procrastinate on a great many things, but the way I see it is that all MBTI functions procrastinate in their own way. I procrastinate when it comes to actually getting off my ass and doing something constructive, but I am always ready to explore ideas and involve myself in activities requiring imagination.

As for the Thinking-Feeling functions, I know that Thinking has nothing to do with being an intellectual. I always defined intellectual as the enjoyment of learning for the sake of learning, without the desire for a practical application. So would intellectualism be more of an iNtuitive trait?

I appreciate you guys helping me out. I'm often insecure and I sometimes become obsessive to the point of losing sight of things.

Perceivers often have trouble with procrastination but that is not the defining point of "perceiving". And intellectualism in not specifically an iNtuitive trait. I think this is a good site to get the basics. Why not take a look?
My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I've checked that site many times.

I went to this Best Fit Type and looked at INTP on a team. I must say that I identify with this type particularly in the section that deals with how INTPs deal with change.

"[INTPs] are likely to say they are not resistant to change since they are constantly developing and revising their designs and approaches. However, they do tend to resist change that appears illogical and seems to violate principles. Change that means changing their habitual way of doing routine tasks is also hard for them, especially if a big learning curve is involved. Helping them see how what they are doing isn’t effective and relating the change to progress in the grand scheme of things and its strategic purpose will help."​

This is almost exactly what I'm like.

The way I'm like is that I don't want to start a new routine, but I do adapt to it reasonably easily.

With that said, would a dominant Introverted function be more inclined to resist change?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I took the short version at a campus ministry retreat, and I expect that I will take it again in the next couple of years when I start my seminary process.

Res Ipsa Loquitur

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I've taken official MBTI tests several times - the first was during pre-marital counseling - both my husband and I took it. I've taken it several times through work as well. One of the law firms I worked, I participated in a two-day class on how to use the results to work with the attorneys in our firm. The class also dealt with how to deal with time-management issues given our type. It was very insightful and informative. I still have the materials and refer to them periodically. I've also know of several headhunters in the DC area who using MBTI to match a potential candidate to various law firms.

While I've always tested as an ISTJ, I find it interesting how the percentages change a bit the last couple of times I've taken the test. I like to think of this as me being older and wiser!:D

R

RDF

I took one at a psychologist's office in the early 90's. I came out some sort of SJ variant. I don't think it was accurate at all. I was still in the military and answered all the questions the way the military would have expected me to answer them. In short, I was living a lie ... which explains the serious unhappiness I had in that profession.

Some years later, I became interested in MBTI and self-tested INTJ regularly. Once again however, I was answering the questions more in line with my profession (software engineer) than what was truly inside of me. I had come to terms with my N ... but still felt that I had to portray the J structure and organization demanded in the corporate world. Of course, military J indoctrination did not help either.

I finally came into my own as my true type (INTP) around the turn of the millenium ... when I picked up a few of the Tieger books and started analysing myself in light of my actions rather than answering some questions. INTP made the most sense and I was happiest exhibiting those characteristics. I believe it is the best fit for me, although I do have some learned J tendencies ... and the P/J axis is the closest one for me.

Yep, that's me too. I took the long form test at a 3-day leadership seminar at work. I tested solidly INTJ with strong T and J because I was answering according to my work mentality. After we got out of classes that same afternoon, I picked up "Type Talk" at a bookstore and recognized the INFP profile as the correct one on the first reading. I liked the INTJ profile and was disappointed with the INFP profile, but there was no denying which was the true one. :cry:

FL

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Yep, that's me too. I took the long form test at a 3-day leadership seminar at work. I tested solidly INTJ with strong T and J because I was answering according to my work mentality. After we got out of classes that same afternoon, I picked up "Type Talk" at a bookstore and recognized the INFP profile as the correct one on the first reading. I liked the INTJ profile and was disappointed with the INFP profile, but there was no denying which was the true one. :cry:

FL

Oddly, I was strangely drawn to the INTP profile long before I knew I was one. I wished I had the creativity and problem solving tendencies ... when I had them all along, but just denied it in lieu of a J-dominated upbringing and work environment. No regrets though, the J indoctrination has served me well. I pay my bills on time and am fairly organized. Currently working on my attention to detail. Repetition seems to help with that, although it is something I loathe.

Don't be disappointed with the INFP profile. Many, many good qualities there. NFs are the conscience of our world, which is good thing given the dark paths humanity can follow at times. As I recall, INFPs are quite creative people too.

R

RDF

Oddly, I was strangely drawn to the INTP profile long before I knew I was one. I wished I had the creativity and problem solving tendencies ... when I had them all along, but just denied it in lieu of a J-dominated upbringing and work environment. No regrets though, the J indoctrination has served me well. I pay my bills on time and am fairly organized. Currently working on my attention to detail. Repetition seems to help with that, although it is something I loathe.

Don't be disappointed with the INFP profile. Many, many good qualities there. NFs are the conscience of our world, which is good thing given the dark paths humanity can follow at times. As I recall, INFPs are quite creative people too.

I agree, Nighthawk. I've accommodated myself to the INFP profile. It's allowed me to unwind and loosen up a bit. Meantime, a certain amount of ambidexterity on the T/F and J/P (learned/natural) axes has brought a lot of benefits across time.

I've done some work on my E in past years. Nowadays I'm working on developing my S, which was always pretty weak. :party2:

FL

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I've done some work on my E in past years. Nowadays I'm working on developing my S, which was always pretty weak. :party2:

FL

My E is an odd thing. I had 13+ years of intensive leadership training when I was younger ... felt very comfortable leading people, speaking in front of groups, and taking charge. So ... what do I do when I leave the military and find a new career? I become an extreme introvert again, shunning managment or any leadership roles. I've been like that for the past 15 years now. I want to be neither a leader nor a follower. Very odd that this is ingrained so thoroughly in me that even indoctrination cannot make a dent in it.

I'm at the stage in my life now where my tertiary Si is developing naturally. It is a lot of fun taking part in more sensory aspects of life ... although I do need to watch it a little with the alcohol. I've recently taken up photography and hope to expand on that as an enjoyable past time.

R

RDF

My E is an odd thing. I had 13+ years of intensive leadership training when I was younger ... felt very comfortable leading people, speaking in front of groups, and taking charge. So ... what do I do when I leave the military and find a new career? I become an extreme introvert again, shunning managment or any leadership roles. I've been like that for the past 15 years now. I want to be neither a leader nor a follower. Very odd that this is ingrained so thoroughly in me that even indoctrination cannot make a dent in it.

I find that I lose my E somewhat if I don't practice it regularly. I lost it after the military, then joined a social group (Mensa) and relearned it in a social setting rather deliberately and by the numbers. It gets rusty if I don't use it for a while, but I can always reactivate it by reviewing the numbers.

I'm at the stage in my life now where my tertiary Si is developing naturally. It is a lot of fun taking part in more sensory aspects of life ... although I do need to watch it a little with the alcohol. I've recently taken up photography and hope to expand on that as an enjoyable past time.

My wife and I have been doing ballroom dancing for years, and we're good enough that I can fall into the zone and just enjoy the motion of the complicated moves. Reminds me of when I was a teenager and I was an expert downhill skier.

A few drinks while ballroom dancing is a good thing. The alcohol loosens me up, and the dancing works off the alcohol. :party2:

FL

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I find that I lose my E somewhat if I don't practice it regularly. I lost it after the military, then joined a social group (Mensa) and relearned it in a social setting rather deliberately and by the numbers. It gets rusty if I don't use it for a while, but I can always reactivate it by reviewing the numbers.

My wife and I have been doing ballroom dancing for years, and we're good enough that I can fall into the zone and just enjoy the motion of the complicated moves. Reminds me of when I was a teenager and I was an expert downhill skier.

A few drinks while ballroom dancing is a good thing. The alcohol loosens me up, and the dancing works off the alcohol. :party2:

FL

OK ... at the risk of derailing this thread ... in what branch of the military did you serve? I found that my INTP type was a disastrous match for the military ... nothing but the T fit. So ... I have to ask ... how did you fare?

The ballroom dancing thing appeals to me, or salsa dancing. I think my wife and I might take it up as well. We liked going to a local Latin club here a while back. Might take it up again on a more instructional level. Getting more in touch with my S.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
It's to avoid a whole host of things. And your whole post makes a testiment to that. If you assume that Sensing and Judging types are resistant to change then what question would you ask to verify reistance to change? And SPs, btw are not resistant to change.
....And let the congregation say....Amen! Alesia you're right on point, and something that I have attempted to convey for years. SPs do not resist change, however we do not find it necessary to make changes for their own sake.
Perceivers often have trouble with procrastination but that is not the defining point of "perceiving". And intellectualism in not specifically an iNtuitive trait. I think this is a good site to get the basics. Why not take a look?
I have read through parts of that site, and it is good, as is INFJ.COM.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I went to this Best Fit Type and looked at INTP on a team. I must say that I identify with this type particularly in the section that deals with how INTPs deal with change.
I wished I had purchased Dr. Berens and Dario Nardi's booklets initially. It would have cut down on all of the money I spent on books.

If anyone has problems with, or attempting to determine their best fit type, you can't beat Berens' system. It's quite simple 1)validate your temperament; then 2)validate your interaction style. The rest falls into place. The good thing is, you don't have force choiced assessments, but determine your true type in understanding an overall theme of your type. This is particularly important for us who dominate with Ti, since there is a tendency to dissect sentences and paragraphs, and to over analyze questionnaires.

R

RDF

OK ... at the risk of derailing this thread ... in what branch of the military did you serve? I found that my INTP type was a disastrous match for the military ... nothing but the T fit. So ... I have to ask ... how did you fare?

You and I exchanged a couple posts about this back a few months ago on the other board. I was in the enlisted ranks in the Marines from 74-78 and then again from 82-85. You wanted to know how an INFP fared in the Marines.

I basically viewed the enlisted ranks of the military as just one more blue collar job. I didn't get my B.A. until age 32, so I worked a lot of blue collar jobs in my time. For an intelligent person, pretty much all blue collar jobs suck. Being in the enlisted ranks of the military was no worse than any other blue collar job, and I would even say that it was better than many.

Also, my first enlistment was during an interesting time. The U.S. was still in Vietnam when I joined up (I got sent over there in 1975 for Operation Frequent Wind and the evacuation of Vietnam). The draft had already ended and the military had gone all-volunteer, but the pay was low and no one wanted to join up in case Vietnam heated up again. So the courts allowed criminals to trade in jail time for joining the Marines.

So the Marine Corps was full of convicts, the staff NCOs were burnt-out combat vets just marking time until they could collect a pension, we had about just about zero budget and all the equipment was busted or outdated, discipline was shot to hell, and no one gave a crap. Frankly, it was kind of fun. :)

Also, I ended up in Signals Intelligence (communications intercept) and did constant TDY/TAD or field assignments all over Southeast Asia and the Pacific, on ships, and even as far abroad as Australia and Germany. Whenever I got bored at my parent unit, I just signed up for another TDY or field assignment and headed abroad to somewhere new.

The second enlistment was a little more stifling than the first. Reagan was giving the military big budgets, the pay was higher, people were starting to volunteer for military duty again, the Marines had tossed out all the convicts and old crazy vets and raised the entrance requirements, and discipline was a lot tighter. But I was a senior sergeant (E-5) by that time, so I called my own shots pretty much.

Anyway, like I said, I don't think the enlisted experience in the military was any worse than most crappy blue-collar jobs, and it was significantly better in some ways. But I expect it was a different story in the officer ranks where you served.

The ballroom dancing thing appeals to me, or salsa dancing. I think my wife and I might take it up as well. We liked going to a local Latin club here a while back. Might take it up again on a more instructional level. Getting more in touch with my S.
Yes, I think it's great quality time together for married couples, too. Get dressed up, take the wife on the town, have a few drinks and move her around the dance floor a bit…

I took some instruction with my first wife, including some lessons at Fred Astaire. But with my current wife, I just taught her at home some of the steps I remembered or had written down, and then we got a library of dance instruction videos so that we could pick up steps at our own speed. So we're not much on form and style since we haven't had formal instruction together, but we know a lot of dances and steps. We do all the standard Ballroom and Latin dances at a solid intermediate level, plus some regional dances like West Coast Swing, Zydeco, etc.

The main thing, I've found, is that I need to have my steps and leads down really well. My wife is a great follower and doesn't actually need to practice all that much with me. The lead is the critical part, so practice is more important for me than for her. So after dinner I regularly disappear down into the basement alone with a tall bourbon and sambucca, crank up the music, and go over my steps until I can move through them confidently and smoothly. Then, when we hit the dance floor out in town, it's just up to my wife to keep up with me (which she does very well).

FL

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
That's right Fine Line ... I remember now.

I was in the Army (West Point, Armor, and Armored Cavalry) from 1979-1992. It was a mixed bag for me. I was really into it early on ... almost fanatically. I pursued the career very aggressively and was naively certain that I would be a general officer someday. Immersed myself in the art of warfare and tried to learn as much as I could about the craft to become an expert. I even managed to author a few articles and translate some books on armored warfare tactics.

The military taught me a lot of good things ... tenacity, organization, confidence, follow through, etc. It made me do interesting things, like jump out of airplanes, that I probably never would have done on my own. I also enjoyed living in foreign countries all over Europe and the Middle East. It was interesting experiencing different cultures.

The longer I remained in uniform however, the more it dulled. It seemed that the primary thing officers did was attend meetings. There were 3-4 meetings per day ... even in the middle of a war. I also grew tired of being held responsible for each and every thing one of my 150 soldiers would do ... from having unprotected sex, to getting drunk. Babysitting was my secondary function ... after attending meetings.

Innovation and creativity were not highly sought after either. Oh yes, they paid lip service to it, but then promoted the political, business-as-usual types instead. In the patriarchical society of Armor, it also paid huge dividends if your wife played the game. My wife at the time was a P and did not want to play the game ...ergo my career suffered. I saw some very poor performers, who had stellar wives, rise up quickly through the ranks. They are still out here commanding sons and daugthers in Iraq ... and we wonder about the death toll.

Here is where the MBTI mismatch really came to the forefront. I began to rebel against the S and J structures every chance I could. Unfortunately this took on a negative twist ... with heavy drinking, womanizing, and disobeying whatever orders/regulations I could. Being an officer, I was not accountable for my time (except when in meetings) ... so I would go off and do my own thing quite a lot. The only creative outlet I had was my writing and whatever scraps I could grab. I once developed a linear regression algorithm to forecast ammunition requirements ... but a superior officer told me to shut up when I briefed him about it. He stated that "the book" was written for a reason, and we would go by the book for ammunition requirements. We promptly fell short on ammunition the following month.

Things finally collapsed for me when I started dealing with a few careerist members of the military aristocracy who would stop at nothing to get ahead. These were all West Point graduates ... some of them up to 5th generation. The USA has military royalty ... they just don't call it that. One of these scions accidentally killed an American soldier during a friendly fire incident ... but did not want to take the heat for it. He pushed the blame off on me, as the first unit commander to enter the area. That was the end of my career ... although I did join forces with the family of the dead soldier to bring out the truth. It took 5 years and hearings before the US Senate ... but the responsible party was finally thrown out of the Army. By that point, the dream had died for me and I wanted nothing more to do with the military. Today, I am happily civilian.

Zhash

Yes, I took the 60 minute MBT1 at work. It was administered by the HR Department for all project managers. I came out INTJ. and when I take all other free online tests, I also come out INTJ.

"I" - I was "out of preference" in two areas five. It explains why I am a more extraverted "I". .
These are the components that I was "out of preference" on with regard to Introvert/Extravert:
Initiating vs. Receiving : I tend to play the social-initiator role when circumstances require it. I focus on putting others at ease when dealing with me. I'm comfortable initiating in a small group or when people are interested in me. I take the lead when I know people in the group.
Active as opposed to Reflective: I would rather activitely participate in an event than observe it. I absorb information better when it is presented orally. I would rather discuss a topic than write about it. I'm quite selective in what I read.

"N" was totally in preference on all five components except I came out balanced on being Concrete vs. Abstract.

"T" was totally in preference on all five components except that I came out balanced with regard to being Accepting vs. Critical and being Tender vs Tough.

"J" was totally in preference on all five components except that I came out balanced with regard to being Scheduled vs. Spontaneous.

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, I've checked that site many times.

Paragraph deleted by Alesia.This is almost exactly what I'm like.

The way I'm like is that I don't want to start a new routine, but I do adapt to it reasonably easily.

With that said, would a dominant Introverted function be more inclined to resist change?

Well, looking at that area that you quoted, it is one paragraph from many paragraphs. Plus, INTPs do not resist change that seems illogical because thier primary function is Ti and they will resist on a logic point. This is Ti at work not J. It's the same thing for INFPs if their is a strong value that is being violated that the Fi of INFPs deems "wrong". They will resist and insist.

You seem to be questioning your J/P. From all that I've seen you write, you appear to be J. What do you think? Take a look at the INTJ section of that site. Tell me what you don't agree with.

Edit: Okay, I deleted the section you quoted because it seemed to chop off my post. This has happened to me before. Sometime a quote from another site doesn't seem to "gell" and will prevent a post from appearing. And then if I just don't quote from that site, wahlah! It appears. So, sorry, please refer to your original post for that paragraph.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I kinda identify with that.

I like a routine and repetition lifestyle because it enables me to contemplate on my ideas.

At work, I tend to enjoy simple, repetitious tasks that let me zone out and detach my brain from my body so that I'm free to indulge in fantasy. I like my life to be predictable for the same reason.

But at the same time, I don't really pay attention to putting things in my external environment in order.

I rarely clean up after myself, and I'm less concerned with having my external environment looking nice as long as bigger stuff like furniture is always where I left it.

So is it possible that the kind of behavior I mentioned above sound more like Ni rather than Ti?

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, quite. I have a very close INFJ freind who is dominant Ni, and he is very scheduled. His organizes his thoughts and own interests very much. He is writing a book for example, and has quotes and ideas that are very organized. It's like pulling teath to get him to change his "schedule" and do something else he had not planned on. He complains that he is so involved on what he is going to do that he has trouble being in the present. He's very J.

And yeah, he's spaced out a lot. I'm spaced out a lot. But he really, really has trouble with going into another world. I see him do that while with our friends.

But when it comes to his environment, he really doesn't care for keeping things neat.