• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is most sensitive to personal space?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My first inclination is to say ISTJ. Introverted iNtuitives definitely need space, but they can sometimes create it internally and get lost in their head in the middle of social space. An introverted Sensor could have a stronger need for concrete personal space. They can also get lost in their head, but just not to the same extent.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Me! Yeah, maybe correlates with strength of Introversion.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
probably most of the introverts.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Let's just say that if you get invited to my place, you are one of the chosen few.

S

Society

if your asking about who is more protective of their personal space, i'm going to agree with Si doms - i'd wager it's a need to have everything placed and ordered as previously experienced - and probably ISTJs more then ISFJs.

if you are asking about "more" as in quantity, i'd wager ESFJs would lean more towards maximizing their estate given the opportunity (in contrast to other types who might use such financial capacities towards other ends).

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Deleting old comment as I misread the thread.

Not sure which hates their personal space invaded most. But I can speak for myself as an ENFP. I can't stand it. And I'm about as extroverted as you get. :)

Last edited:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
^What unresponsive claptrap.
Concur that introverts seem more sensitive to invasion of space. Personally, that kind of invasion triggers a fight or flight response (more fight than flight depending on the nature of the invasion). eta: but that may be the sp>sx talking.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From Wikipedia:

wikipedia said:
Additional studies have also examined the relationship between introversion and extroversion and the amount of personal space one employs (Williams 156). The results of a study by Sommer showed that there was no difference between introverts and extroverts in how close a person thought was acceptable to stand in a social situation (Williams 157). However, it was found that extroverts will move closer to the other person much more willingly than an introvert would. Also, while extroverts were more irritated by an invasion of space or by someone standing too far away, introverts were more likely to feel self-conscious in this situation (Williams 159).

S

Stansmith

My sense of space non-existent. I'm barely conscious of my own bodily-presence, and people don't usually touch me to begin with. I tend to feel like a small, free-flowing object seeping through cracks rather than occupying a particular space.

S

Society

My sense of space non-existent. I'm barely conscious of my own bodily-presence, and people don't usually touch me to begin with. I tend to feel like a small, free-flowing object.

this is an interesting showcase of function differences... we both have the same perception functions (ENxP), but i'm very conscious of the use of space, touch and body language for communication. this is probably at least partially cultural (it's a lot more accepted here then in anglo-saxon societies), but i'd wager Fe would pay more attention to this then Te.

S

Stansmith

this is an interesting showcase of function differences... we both have the same perception functions (ENxP), but i'm very conscious of the use of space, touch and body language for communication. this is probably at least partially cultural (it's a lot more accepted here then in anglo-saxon societies), but i'd wager Fe would pay more attention to this then Te.

I'm careful not to intrude on others' space (not that it's a problem for me), but I'm not particularly anal about my own. My sense of consciousness within the present moment is very internal.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm really sensitive to my personal space and having it intruded upon. I suspect it most likely correlates with MBTI introversion. There's still some variation between people of the same type, but overall I've noticed introverts to be more sensitive about their personal space and extraverts more likely to unknowingly 'invade' the space.